Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 10-29-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
hurstalero
GX Member

hurstalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Grand Am Ram Air

Will this work on an alero even though the car has no upper Grill?

Weber
Daily Driver http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/537877 Modifications: window tint, front and rear strut tower braces, Sprint lowering springs, Magnaflow muffler, SLP air temperature module, mesh grill, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, Street Glow bulbs, MAP Enineering exhaust heat shield,Doctor Speed Stage 2 short ram intake, and a K&N cone filter.

Project http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/518009
hurstalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
why would you even want to? it is a waste of time.........
Old 10-29-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
Wildman
GL Member

Wildman is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, to be more helpful to your question.......

It will not benefit you to rig up a GA Ram Air setup on the Alero. The benefits of a ram air could better be replicated on a Cold Air Intake setup. So, to directly answer your question, No, there is no real life benefit to adding Ram Air to your Alero. If you are looking to modify your intake, I would recommend adding a Cold Air Intake rather then taking the time and effort to rig up a Ram Air. Plus the sound difference under Wide Open Throttle will make you happy that you did the Cold Air Intake mod rather than Ram Air....If you have any further questions, please don't be afraid to ask.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstalero View Post
Will this work on an alero even though the car has no upper Grill?

Weber

Yes, it will bolt on, install, and work just like on a grand am. MFuller has it on his Alero.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:29 AM   #5
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
its worthless though. ram air is a marketing gimmick, no real world power gains.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #6
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
its worthless though. ram air is a marketing gimmick, no real world power gains.

Considering my brother bought a real ram air hood for his 99 Grand am GT about 3 years ago, he got the fiberglass one, it was about $900 total after shipping and stuff. After you put a SRI under the hood, the air filter sits right under the air duct from the hood, so you do get air straight through the hood into the filter. It works and it sounds awesome.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
alerored04
GLS member

yeah, is that a manufacturer marketing ploy? no since he bought an aftermarket hood with scoops. That is totally different that the stock crap they put on the GT's.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
yeah and unless you custom make a hood for the alero, you can't get a ram air one without an entire GA front end swap........
Old 10-29-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
boostnsrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post

thats is completely wrong. ram air works great with a sealed airbox, it pressurizes the air in the airbox and forces it into intake. at about 100 miles an hour, depending on the volume of the airbox, it can produce anywhere from 1.5 to 3 psi. why do you think almost every sportbike on the market uses ram air. the farther forward you put the ram air the cooler and more condensed the air. at slower speeds yes the ram air is pretty much like a cai.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #10
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
hmmmmmm ive always wanted to know this too.......

whats the real answer?
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:57 AM   #11
alerored04
GLS member

the answer is its worthless, how often are you going 100+ mph? Get a cai, not worth trying to make this work in an alero.

And tell me why all the GA Gt guys swap it to a CAI anyway?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
the short answer is - yes it's better than just a stock airbox. no it isn't better than a full CAI. And like the ever-sensible alerored04 said, when are you going to go 100+ mph. Unless you've got an insane engine build, or a serious power adder, I doubt you'll hit 100mph in the 1/4 mile, that leaves the only other place to hit that speed being on the public highway (bad doggie)

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:37 AM   #13
alerored04
GLS member

Thanks BJ. Any updates on your car? Hows the tuning process treating you? Any numbers yet? Im pretty curious.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:09 AM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, went to the track just to test altitude variations and stuff, and to work out the top end kinks. Two header bolts backed out, and popped a coupler half way off that was in a spot that couldn't be seen in the dark. Those are fixed now, and precautions to prevent reoccurance. Should be back to the track in the next couple of weeks, and based on previous runs with the difficulties, I'm estimating mid 13's for a starting point (yes, at over 3,000 ft. alt.) Had to do alot of retuning once I got there over a period of several passes. Amazing how much a couple of thousand feet requires for tuning.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #15
alerored04
GLS member

Nice, keep us updated. And yes it is amazing the differences in power that a thousand feet will make.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:43 AM   #16
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

[quote=alerored04;231097]the answer is its worthless, how often are you going 100+ mph? Get a cai, not worth trying to make this work in an alero.

And tell me why all the GA Gt guys swap it to a CAI anyway?[/
QUOTE]

The reason alot of guys with GA Gt's get a CAI is because it is better than a SRI, unless you have the real ram air hood. My brother spent almost $1,000 on the hood, and to get it painted. It is a real hood, not the fake ones they started to put on the GA a couple years ago, his is functional. But if he didnt spend the money for the hood he would have gotten a CAI instead.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #17
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

spend $1,000 on a hood + paint to get the small gain of ram air than to spend around $100 for the higher gain of CAI?

Guess it goes to show, theres alot of people out there smarter than I am.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
A stock Alero will NEVER hit 100 MPH in the 1/4 mile.

100 in the 1/4 mile is around low 14's to high 13's

I ran 14.5 in the 1/4 as my fastest and was clocked at 91.94 MPH

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #19
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
spend $1,000 on a hood + paint to get the small gain of ram air than to spend around $100 for the higher gain of CAI?

Guess it goes to show, theres alot of people out there smarter than I am.

He actually got the hood because he liked it and had the money to spend. Plus you know how many people talk to him about his hood, then they realize his is functional and theirs isnt? They are actually pretty surprised. Why you trying to be a rooster, just because of the argument we had in OT? I guess thats why you made that last statement.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #20
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
yeah, went to the track just to test altitude variations and stuff, and to work out the top end kinks. Two header bolts backed out, and popped a coupler half way off that was in a spot that couldn't be seen in the dark. Those are fixed now, and precautions to prevent reoccurance. Should be back to the track in the next couple of weeks, and based on previous runs with the difficulties, I'm estimating mid 13's for a starting point (yes, at over 3,000 ft. alt.) Had to do alot of retuning once I got there over a period of several passes. Amazing how much a couple of thousand feet requires for tuning.
dude, go to the old folks home and steal an o2 tank and rig it up to the throttle body lol