Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
ThePrettyPhysicist
Aleromod Battery Guru

ThePrettyPhysicist is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ThePrettyPhysicist Send a message via Yahoo to ThePrettyPhysicist
Exclamation stupid car ...

So I went out to my car this morning to start it. I drove it last night with no problems - car drove normally, no strange noises, etc. She has less than 50K miles. First try, the car wouldn't start. Second try, the car started, but stalled out. On the third try, it stayed running, but the SES light and Trac Off light were on and the car sputtered. I put the car in drive and the engine was rocking and shaking and bucking. There is a horrible sulfur smell coming from the exhaust, which is also shaking. My husband thinks it sounds like the car is only running on 3 cylinders. Any thoughts? Does anyone have experience with this? I'm afraid to drive it to the shop in its current condition. I am REALLY hoping that it is something the warranty will cover ...

2004 White Alero GL - "Raccoon Killer"
1987 Burgundy Fiero GT - "Mr. P-Body"
1986 Silver Fiero SE - "Half Pint"
ThePrettyPhysicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Could be a lot of things.

If it's running on 3 cyl, you'd hear a popping since the car would be backfiring a lot. Could be bad plugs and or wires, maybe one of the wires had the coating burned or rubbed off. The MAF could be dirty, bad fuel pump? clogged fuel filter?

You're really into cars, do you have a scanner? SES and Trac off could be a wheel hub, but that wouldn't cause the problems you're having.

With the car being 4 years old and under 60K, if you got the extended warranty and you didn't do any mods that would cause this, I don't see why it wouldn't be covered

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
ThePrettyPhysicist
Aleromod Battery Guru

Send a message via AIM to ThePrettyPhysicist Send a message via Yahoo to ThePrettyPhysicist
no scanner - Fiero codes can be read with a paper clip.

the car only moved 5 feet from outside the garage into the garage, so I'm not sure how it behaves other than at idle. there was no backfiring - but after reading other posts and thinking about it more, my husband thinks it sounds like when the traction control is off. i purchased a GM extended warranty that is good for another like 40K miles, but i'm afraid to try and drive it to the dealership ...

Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Call them and have it towed. Request a flatbed truck

I know about the OBD I being read with a paperclip. I fixed the Delta's SES light by taking out the bulb

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The last Ecotec I saw with a problem like that had a bad ignition module. It takes all of 5 minutes to change.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
ThePrettyPhysicist
Aleromod Battery Guru

is that something that would be covered under warranty? i just don't want to shell out a lot of money for this ...

Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
isn't everything covered under warranty, especially the powertrain? lol you're car is under warranty, anything that goes wrong with it mechanically should be covered
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
Sulfur scent usually a bad cat. Under federal law that is covered if original for 8 year/80,000 miles. IF you got the code P0420 - catalyst below threshold that confirms faulty cat. However a misfire could damage the catalytic converter, which is what the dealer will probably tell you its your fault for letting the engine damage the exhaust and most likely sell you both O2 and a cat. In conjunction with correcting misfire. I suggest taking care of misfire first then bring it to dealer for the P0420 code.
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
ThePrettyPhysicist
Aleromod Battery Guru

is there a way to check the codes without a code reader? I don't have one, and i will not drive the car anywhere to have it done.

to be honest, it sounds like what other people have described when they had problems with their hubs ... but i don't know.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

No.

If it was the hubs the car would still run and drive correctly

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
hmm i'm pretty sure i replied above you yesterday saying something like "Wheel hubs don't cause engine problems..." maybe i forgot to hit submit, lol.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
ThePrettyPhysicist
Aleromod Battery Guru

my husband took her for a short drive today - wouldn't go over 15 mph. She has been towed to the dealership for repair ... so we'll see.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
ThePrettyPhysicist
Aleromod Battery Guru

just heard from the dealer. ignition coil and ignition module ... all covered under warranty ... so i should have Raccoon Killer back tomorrow ...

Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
hooray for warrentys.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
ThePrettyPhysicist
Aleromod Battery Guru

yes ... i am very happy that i purchased the GM protection plan after my warranty expired ... the dealer said it would have been close to $600 without it ...

Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #16
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
my car does that every now and then, its like the traction control tries to work for some retarded reason, and it wont accelerate for crap, and i just roll for about 20 - 30 seconds and i hear a clicking sound and the dash will beep 3 times and then the car drives normally, so im guessing my wheel hubs are -trying- to work, but arent..

the lights were ripped off the instrument panel from the previous owner, so i cant tell which lights are coming on, they literally ripped the instrument panel out of the dash, and took a pair of pliers and crushed the LED's that light up the trac off, SES, ect ect.. all the trouble lights are broken apart..

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Good to know what the problem is and even better to know it's a free fix

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 AM   #18
ThePrettyPhysicist
Aleromod Battery Guru

brought her home last night and she drives great! apparently the problem had been brewing for a while, because she drove a lot better than she had before the "incident". i hadn't realized how much i love driving that car until i got back into it. i was driving my husband's intrigue all week - and its not nothing on the alero (probably because i can't reach the gas pedal very well in the intrigue!) ... so thanks to everyone who contributed and helped ...

Old 05-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Always willing to help, esp the pretty girls

www.facebook.com/kb0177