Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Throttle Body Vacuum/Boost Leak

So the throttle plate shaft itself is leaking air when I boost leak test. You know how you open the throttle plate by manually moving the part the cable is connected to? If I wiggle that my air leak changes significantly. It's apparently leaking air between the shaft and the main body of the housing.

From some Googling it sounds like there's a bushing that is worn that causes this. Anyone know a place to send it to that can do a good job on a rebuild?

I'm still working on having a bigger custom manifold made with a used 75mm throttle body that hopefully doesn't have this problem, but I'd like to fix this in the meantime.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I picked up a spare stock throttle body from a parts yard and it seemed like the shaft was pretty solid. Installed it on the car and pressurized and this one leaks too. Maybe they all do that? Maybe I just have two high mileage ones.

From searching around other car forums it seems many run into this issue and fix it by replacing the o-rings and oiling/greasing them up at install. Not sure if our throttle bodies have o-rings but I'm sure I can tear apart the other one I have now and see what I can do. Edit: Took apart the throttle body, there are no seals aside from the bearings. Turns out a fuel injector o-ring is the perfect size for a space inside there, so I put a viton o-ring in and re-assembled. It might seal, but I haven't installed and boost leak tested it yet because it turns out me fixing my other hose leak seems to have fixed my high RPM coastdown/revving up issue. The seepage in the throttle shaft itself doesn't seem to cause any big issues. Might swap it out for shits and giggles just to see if my o-ring job helped.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

Intake Manifold
The intake manifold has two pinhole like leaks at weld areas. Easy to fix, but will have to remove it all and coordinate with my welder.

Throttle Body
I installed my old throttle body that I put a thick o-ring in - when I pressure tested like that it was much slower to leakdown back to zero from 20 psi. Notice a big difference while driving too. It doesn't rev up when I disengage the clutch and it doesn't hang at high RPMs or rev up as I coast down to a stopsign etc. So the throttle body leaking is definitely a huge source of the overall vacuum leaks. Major driveability boost.

It seems throttle body shaft leakage is a pretty common issue across all platforms. The DSM guys have a company that makes special high pressure seals. The stock LS1 seal is designed to hold vacuum, not boost, just based on the way it's shaped. So when I do make my fancy bigger manifold, I'll have to look at the throttle body I'm using and make sure I can seal that. Or make a custom throttle body that has specialized shaft seal areas. One guy made a custom seal for the stock LS1 one, I'll likely take it all apart and spec it out and see what's available.