Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
BuickLover98
GX Member

BuickLover98 is on a distinguished road
Question sparkplug blowout

hey guys so at the beginning of summer i thought my exhaust manifold blew on my 03 alero 3.4 v6. but as it turns out after 4 months of sitting in my yard thinking its going to cost me an arm and a leg i find out it just blew a plug. but the thing is, it blew out completely intact, plug was still in the boot, threads were fine. i threaded it back into the block but by the way it screwed in, im thinking the threads on the block are stripped, anyone have similar problems? did it keep reoccuring? thanks in advace guys, BTW this forum page has saved my a$$ a few times so thanks everyone!!
BuickLover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
paul ron
GX Member

paul ron is on a distinguished road
Thats weird a plug would blow out in tact. Maybe when the plug was put in, it never really threaded n seated properly?

If the threads on the block are stripped, helicoil is the repair.
paul ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
BuickLover98
GX Member

BuickLover98 is on a distinguished road
ya i havent looked on the block yet, the car has always been a bit of a pig on gas and im thinking maybe this could be reason. is yours bad on gas???
BuickLover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
You could just use a light and look at the threads in the head and see how they look... Or have a mechanic visually inspect the head threads and also install the plug and see what they say.

It was probably just not torqued and worked its way loose. In that case, just reinstall it (use anti-seize) and torque to spec and call it good.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
I had the threads strip on one plug hole in a 91 Olds Calais 4 Cyl High Output engine. I did a Helicoil on it.