Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Wiring LEDs to turn on when the doors open

Anyone know how to do it?

So far all I have found is the 3 wires going to the dome light. Black, tan, and brown. The brown wire has constant power. The black wire has no power and the tan wire has power when the doors are closed but doesn't have power when the doors are open. Cherry said the ground wire is switched via a relay in the door. Were is the the switch or relay that knows when the doors are open and when they are closed?
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i'd think the way to test it... would be to check the ground, in the switch, with the doors open, and then again w/ them closed.

the way i had it explained to me, the "door open" setting, will have no ground when the door is closed, and a solid ground w/ the door open.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
the way i had it explained to me, the "door open" setting, will have no ground when the door is closed, and a solid ground w/ the door open.

u are correct, that is how it is. i tried but was too lazy/stupid to figure out how to wires leds into that.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
There is wires In the doors on the latch dk which but when shved doors I disconected the plugs and no lights when door opens. So if you wanting them for like the bottom of mirrors or cubby holes bottom of door what ever it's be easier to run wires and should work when hit lock or unlock.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpalero2003 View Post
There is wires In the doors on the latch dk which but when shved doors I disconected the plugs and no lights when door opens. So if you wanting them for like the bottom of mirrors or cubby holes bottom of door what ever it's be easier to run wires and should work when hit lock or unlock.

I want to put the LEDs under the dash so they light up the foot wells. I want them to turn on when the doors are open and shut off when I close them like the dome light.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

I wonder if I tap into the white wire coming from the BCM if that would work? Cliff you can chime in here, your a GM genius.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
C_EICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
I want to put the LEDs under the dash so they light up the foot wells. I want them to turn on when the doors are open and shut off when I close them like the dome light.

why not wire the to the footwell lghts>?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
pimpalero2003
GLS member

So you want foot well lights only whendoors are
Open. seems like alot of work for not getting much only when open close doors you'll have a light.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
pimpalero2003
GLS member

His may not have them
Old 03-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
tap into the dome light fuse, thats what i did for my underglows

edit: when i get home ill check out how i wired it, i dont remember how i exactly wired it but im pretty sure i did it with a relay with the dome light fuse activating the relay

I shaved my balls for this?

Last edited by Gr1m : 03-26-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
tap into the dome light fuse, thats what i did for my underglows

edit: when i get home ill check out how i wired it, i dont remember how i exactly wired it but im pretty sure i did it with a relay with the dome light fuse activating the relay

Thanks Gr1m, that would help.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Oh the power of the relay....you'd be surprised what you can do with those things.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
haha.. after i figured out how to use them... i'm shocked at what i could get done.

alas... laziness takes over.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
The first diagram is with a switch so that you can control whether they come on with the dome lights or not..ON lights come on with dome light..OFF lights dont come on with dome light. on the switch where it says "ign...etc"...this is where your tap from the dome light will go. Ignore the way the lights look at the top, and just know that they will be wired just like the ones at the bottom.

Attachment 6267

In this diagram it is just like the first diagram only eliminating the switch, and is by far the easiest of the two methods.
Attachment 6268

You may want to consider just tapping off of one of the dome light fuse for power to the red on the leds and then just grounding them at a common point on the chasis. You could avoid the headache of wiring the relay in there.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
cherrington17
Gone

wow. lonnie was bored.

thanks for those.

so all i really need to do is tap the orange wire going to the dome light? nice
Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Thank you very much lonnie!
Old 03-28-2009, 05:44 AM   #17
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

yep no problem or just tap at the fuse instead of trying to find where the wire is.

...and yes I was bored!
pin 30 is fused +12vdc
pin 86 is tapped into dome light orange or at the fuse panel (doom light fuse)
pin87 is the output (+12vdc output for LED's...etc)
pin85 is ground (chassis)
Old 04-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #18
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
god yall make me so confused, i read these to figure things outs for myself, im thinking about setting alot of stuff up in my car un hooked up, adn begging one of yall at an ASS meet if i ever get to drive out to one
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote