Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
the famous 5-cylinder, 14 sec run I made was at a official track weight (with driver) of 3649 lbs. That's me, toolboxes, jack, spare tire, extra helmets in the back, etc. Car has power EVERYTHING. windows, locks, tilt, cruise, a/c, power steering, power seats, and weight was actually added pretty far over stock. What is this desire of yours to shave weight rather than make power?

I know she'll run sub 12 now, with all 6 firing, and tossing the loose goodies out.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #22
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
I know she'll run sub 12 now, with all 6 firing, and tossing the loose goodies out.
Go run it. When you get back?
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #23
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Obviously this appeals to those of us without forced induction. My desire to "shave weight" is practical.

I am not looking to reduce my weight "rather than make power". I am simply trying to help that power drive less weight.

Again to clarify, I can easy slap a turbo granted the funds were available. Or merely add a shot of NOS as a quick option. Yet I am trying to build a full "ALL MOTOR" project.

So tell me who has the quickest time all motor in a N-body? I can assure you weight reduction was listed on the build. Then once I hit that mark I will then utilize the nitrous everyone is fond of.

Only issue with my build is I began the project to see boost. Then personal matters changed in my life and I had to get the car back on the road quick. But now that I have my GTZ I can continue the efforts of all motor or boost. But I am extremely curious to see what higher compression pistons, bigger cams (HG2), and a good tune will do.

Just a thought if I decide to finish this project or just stop all together and refrain from spending money on the Alero as many have advised me.

So guys simple question.....is it worthless to build an All Motor Naturally Aspirated engine in a N-body due to weight?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
Caboose73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHC_tuner View Post
So guys simple question.....is it worthless to build an All Motor Naturally Aspirated engine in a N-body due to weight?

I think it would be a cool wow factor like i ran xx.xx all motor but if you want a fast n-body you deff need some sort of boost or a large shot of nitrous.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #25
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
N/A = Not Acceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHC_tuner View Post
Or merely add a shot of NOS as a quick option.
NAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHS
Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #26
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
it depens on how extreme you want to go like bj said, you can always start sectioning out pieces of metal thats not critical to the overall structural integrity of the car. As for the issue of the trunk being heavy, consider some kind of a custom job, or just remove it on track days.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #27
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
lol remove the trunk and create a pocket that would slow you down?? Whats his time in the track anywayz?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #28
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic28 View Post
lol remove the trunk and create a pocket that would slow you down?? Whats his time in the track anywayz?

No idea. And I have no idea about the aleros aerodynamics, but I did not consider that.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #29
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
N/A = Not Acceptable

Let us know when you ge that turbo tuned right

There's nothing wrong with n/a and it is true a fast street car can have a full interior and still be fast.

My goal with the engine rebuild is in the 13's which personally I think is very doable. The car runs 14.53 and (14.69 on youtube) with full interior, no jack or spare, and 3/8 tank of gas

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #30
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad99Olds View Post
As for the issue of the trunk being heavy, consider some kind of a custom job
custom job = remove trunk lid, fill trunk with styrofoam, shave to look like trunk, coat with light film of bondo LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Go run it. When you get back?
Not till late october, and even then I have a few things to do before she's ready to run the track again, like the 3250 stall TC, and a few surprises with the fuel system. Parts cost money and money takes time, on my budget.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #31
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
I have read smaller diameter wheels (15s) are not only lighter, but provide less reciprocating mass than a bigger wheel. While for handling, a slight increase in diameter will help, for the quarter mile, smaller diameter wheels are better.

Last edited by Valley olds : 08-22-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Valley olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #32
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
I have read smaller diameter wheels (15s) are not only lighter, but provide less reciprocating mass than a bigger wheel. While for handling, a slight increase in diameter will help, for the quarter mile, smaller diameter wheels are better.
this is correct. smaller sidewalls are better for handling, but smaller wheels are better for acceleration.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #33
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad99Olds View Post
And they dont nag, or get preggers. WIn win.

or hit you with a car.

Right Alerodrime?
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #34
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Let us know when you ge that turbo tuned right
Oh I will. I'll be tuning tomorrow and likely racing this week.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:24 AM   #35
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
swiss cheese all you inner interior metal panels then cover them with your interior peices. lol. Wouldnt reconend it but my buddy did it on his teg and there aint no one laughing at the amount of pwnage that thing distributes.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:15 AM   #36
99-alero
GL Member

99-alero is on a distinguished road
If that's what you dictate is a "true" street car, fine. Removing the carpet is for true "race" cars maximizing their power to weight ratio. I would never do it but a lot of the old muscle cars running really low times are doing all the weight reduction they can get... I didn't know they were ricers.[/quote]

did i mention muscle cars being ricers? NO! its an alero not a track car or a muscle car , but removing ur carpet etc etc on a daily driven car isnt goin to make a huge difference, im more impressed by a car with every option and all the goodies runnin fast like bj's then a some car that u cant even use the AC on
99-alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #37
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
99-Alero: did i mention muscle cars being ricers? NO! its an alero not a track car or a muscle car , but removing ur carpet etc etc on a daily driven car isnt goin to make a huge difference, im more impressed by a car with every option and all the goodies runnin fast like bj's then a some car that u cant even use the AC on

Whether it be a big time muscle car or a tuner (which you called a ricer), 100 lbs of weight reduction is .10 seconds on the quarter mile. So the fact that its an Alero, and not a corvette, is no excuse to avoid weight reduction if you want to get good track times.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #38
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
Is there a weight difference btwn the 2 door and 4 door aleros?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #39
Caboose73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrim View Post
Is there a weight difference btwn the 2 door and 4 door aleros?

ya the sedans are like 40-50lbs heavier
Old 08-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #40
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
difference between tuner and ricer: ricers tend to have more invested in looks, and not as much in performance. Even if you do the same to an American car....you can call it a show car, but if you brag about it being fast because you have a spoiler and some decals, you're a ricer. Weight reduction is merely one aspect of tuning.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote