Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
BigJimW
GX Member

BigJimW is on a distinguished road
Alero Passlock issue with cold weather?

I didn't know where else to post this, so I posted it here. Mods please move if it can fit anywhere else. But here's the problem. I have had my Alero for the past 6 months with no problems starting. Recently I moved to Maine and noticed the Security light flashing and a no start condition. I did search for the temporary solution (Passlock reset procedure) and it worked so far in the three times Passlock had the fits. Two of the times I had to reset the Passlock, my battery died, which indicated a bad battery not holding a charge (keeping your ignition key to ON should not kill a battery in ten minutes, even with the lights on). Bought a new Duralast Gold battery today to fix that problem (which I know is not the Passlock issue, just a bad battery that I happened to find resetting the Passlock with the 10 minute procedure). I am wondering if this current Passlock issue is related to the cold weather or perhaps a bad battery, or maybe both. I just want to get rid of that Passlock because the only thing it's really good for (from what I have read) is not to stop a thief from stealing your car, but from the legitimate owners from starting it. Could a low battery cause a fault in Passlock due to the cold and kick it in? Or could the cold weather be the single factor? Any ideas? I'd rather rip the damned thing out and start my car with a screwdriver if that's what it takes.
BigJimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
BigJimW
GX Member

Moderators, the GENERAL section was not displaying for me when I posted this message. Sorry about that. If you can move this thread to the appropriate place, it would be much appreciated.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I think the almost dead battery/cold could be a cause I think I had it happen once last winter.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
BigJimW
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I think the almost dead battery/cold could be a cause I think I had it happen once last winter.

I'm starting to think the same thing. After the new battery was installed, it starts fine. Yesterday, the SECURITY light came on and about 3 hours later when I wanted to go to the store, PASSLOCK kicked in and wouldn't let me start it. Today, the same scenario happened with the SECURITY light coming on, but I was able to start the car with a fresh battery 3 hours later. However, after doing more research on this half assed Passlock system GM puked out with that tends to screw over owners more than thieves, I'm not very confident this will be "permanent". But we shall see.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
I bypassed my Passlock system using the resistor method to bypass the Bypass on my Aurora and haven't had any issues in 6 months. Research it on You Tube, there are How To's on there.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
BigJimW
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
I bypassed my Passlock system using the resistor method to bypass the Bypass on my Aurora and haven't had any issues in 6 months. Research it on You Tube, there are How To's on there.

I may very well have to do that. Even with somewhat warmer weather and a fresh, new Duralast battery, the Asslock kicked in two days in a row (spelling error intended). I read everywhere that the Passlock system should have been recalled because it was a such a poor design and the connections to it were not gold plated, meaning they corrode over time and changes the resistance value fed to the BCM.

The 10 minute reset works, but it's a pain in the asslock when I can't start my own car and have to wait. Thieves will never steal any GM product, because they know that even the OWNERS can't start 'em!

I love my Alero, but this sucks.

Last edited by BigJimW : 01-20-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling error fixed
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Monza
GX Member

Monza is on a distinguished road
I did the cut-the-yellow-wire fix several years ago but had a security fail yesterday. It was parked outside in -0 degrees so maybe the temperature had something to do with it.

I'm not sure at this point whether to try adding the resistor or buying a system I saw advertized that is supposed to bypass the whole security mess for $190.

Any one familiar with what you get for the $190 system?

Last edited by Monza : 01-23-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
I just spliced in a switch on the yellow wire. My security light is on all the time, but now I can use my push button start, and eventually get a remote start installed.

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
jawa