Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quick Strut Question

Ok, so I have two new KYB GR-2s for the rear. Im planning on eventually replacing the front with the same and getting some Dropzone springs. But until I get the front struts, can I put the rear struts in and squeak by without and alignment? I wouldn't go for long with out replacing the fronts too (maybe a month or two at most) it's just my rear struts are sooooo gone its not even funny. They are literally rusted to pieces just about and clunk around like a dead body in my trunk.

I hate to do the rear struts and get it aligned then do the fronts and have to pay for another alignment
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
you should be fine, like you said i wouldn't go for long, the most it would do is make your tires wear funny
Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Philbar71
GL Member

My tires are kinda crappy anyways, im running the stock 15" steelies. The rear tires were up front and have maybe 40% tread left. Hopefully in the summer I'll pick up some cheap 17"s that look good with some newer tires for cheap. lol. But im not that concerned with looks. lol.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
should be fine. i dropped mine 2'' checked the alignment at work and alignment in the rear was perfect.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
Philbar71
GL Member

^ What springs did you use?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Canuk motor sports. I'm sure the ride will be much nicer once the gr-2's are on but for now it doesn't ride half bad and it definitely handles a lot better. it says something like 1.75" drop but once the springs settle its actually 2'' even all the way around.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
Philbar71
GL Member

Sweet. Im thinking of either those or Dropzones. It will be most likely be what ever one is not $299. lol
Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
alero_bmxer
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbar71 View Post
Sweet. Im thinking of either those or Dropzones. It will be most likely be what ever one is not $299. lol

haha right. If i remember correctly I paid $86 for all 4 on ebay.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
Philbar71
GL Member

Nice, I'll keep an eye out then. Hows the ride? Is it super stiff or what?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
alero_bmxer
GL Member

Quote:
Nice, I'll keep an eye out then. Hows the ride? Is it super stiff or what?

the ride is for sure stiffer than stock but compared to other dropped cars i have driven in, its pretty comfortable. like i said once the new struts are on im sure the ride will improve a lot.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Philbar71
GL Member

Cool cool.

Now, do you really need a spring compression tool? I read through a How-To on here that said you didn't really need one if you have another person helping you.

This thread specifically,

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Struts
Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
alero_bmxer
GL Member

Quote:
Cool cool.

Now, do you really need a spring compression tool? I read through a How-To on here that said you didn't really need one if you have another person helping you.

This thread specifically,

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Struts

everyone at work thought i was crazy taking them apart with out a spring compressor, but truthfully i took an impact to the top nut and the mount basically fell off and not shoot off like everyone thought it would (this was all done by myself BTW and it was done in a garage with basic hand tools). it does make it a lot easier to put things back together with a compressor though. just make sure the spring isolators are in the right spot and you should be golden.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
Philbar71
GL Member

Awesome. Any other tips?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
That is a very bad idea, the only way that might work is with a broken or seriously worn out spring. Be safe and use some spring compressors, and if you don't have them, just let a shop do this for you.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
^ THAT! ^ bmxer you a SERIOUSLY lucky!

we had a kid in one of my suspension labs not use a compressor, hes lucky to be alive...what ever you do DO NOT take off that center nut without a spring compressor! it could cost you your life.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
ya you can get killed spring compressers are cheap and the shop should have had spring sompresser then you do not risk killing or severly injuring your self.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
Philbar71
GL Member

Lol, chillax guys. Ima get a spring compressor. Im not going to pay somebody 100$ and hour to do my struts, lol, I am more than capable of doing it my self :P
Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
Philbar71
GL Member

Well, struts went well today. Noticed a difference now, as in I can actually feel the road. Now I just need to do the front.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #19
alero_bmxer
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucalare View Post
That is a very bad idea, the only way that might work is with a broken or seriously worn out spring. Be safe and use some spring compressors, and if you don't have them, just let a shop do this for you.

did this with my brand new lowering springs. put them on the car and realized it needed new mounts so off they came again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
^ THAT! ^ bmxer you a SERIOUSLY lucky!

we had a kid in one of my suspension labs not use a compressor, hes lucky to be alive...what ever you do DO NOT take off that center nut without a spring compressor! it could cost you your life.

i realize this is dangerous and this was done before i had a shop and the resources so trust me its not gonna happen like that again. sorry should have clarified that before i posted.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #20
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
btw you can spend $10 and go to a shop with an alignment hoist for an "alignment check" its an avg of $10 at a shop to check to make sure its not out of alignment
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote