Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 12-13-2004, 05:36 PM   #1
midnightalero01

i kind of want to paint my car a metallic black color and i know someone who has all the equiptment, however i'm not so sure about doing it myself or not... is it all that hard because i've read about electrostatic painting and that makes things seem much easier... anyways would it be worth it to try or how much would a job like that cost?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:44 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by midnightalero01@Dec 13 2004, 05:36 PM
i kind of want to paint my car a metallic black color and i know someone who has all the equiptment, however i'm not so sure about doing it myself or not... is it all that hard because i've read about electrostatic painting and that makes things seem much easier... anyways would it be worth it to try or how much would a job like that cost?
how good a job you wanting...a good paint job 1500-3000, A nice azz paint job can cost all the way up to 10,000 depending on how much candy(clear coat layers) you put on. I would see what you can do. I know a dude named the Kid and he never painted but tried it once and started to impress people. did his truck frame and exterior paint himself. :thumbsup:

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
midnightalero01

would you suggest practicing on anything... and what :unsure:
Old 12-13-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
your friends cars....
Old 12-13-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
smlzalero
where my knickers at?

smlzalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes!! practice!!!
I painted my old car and the first time it sucked, but then as I did it over and over, I got the hang of it and the last time it looked pretty dang good.
Also, painting someone else's car is always a good idea! No sense in messing up your own car if there's others to mess up!

--UPDATE-- Have 6 months to start paying!
smlzalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by midnightalero01@Dec 13 2004, 06:18 PM
would you suggest practicing on anything... and what :unsure:
I suggest a Geo Metro. Here's the first car that I painted. It was about a month ago and it's not great at all. It's got tons of orange peel and it's kinda streaky. It's all because after about 2 minutes in the paint fumes I was high as a kite and forgot that I was painting a car. But it'll do until I redo it in the spring. The color is Copper metallic and sorry for the night pic but I just took it and it's night outside and it's kinda a crapy pic. :unsure:
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:07 PM   #7
midnightalero01

could either of you two write me up some tips or what not... possibly a handy how to?
Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #8
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by midnightalero01@Dec 13 2004, 08:07 PM
could either of you two write me up some tips or what not... possibly a handy how to?
I know for sure that you need nice even strokes back and forth left to right or up and down depending on the area. Stay a good distance back and...you are preping the metal properly right...sanding or sandblasting or atleast removing the original clear coat and then primering?

Have a good day
Old 12-13-2004, 08:34 PM   #9
bluephoAm

What's the price range of restoring the original factory paint?
Old 12-13-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
AGT
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluephoAm@Dec 13 2004, 08:34 PM
What's the price range of restoring the original factory paint?
haha...nothing is as good as factory unless you strip the car down to nothing but the metal and repaint and bake it...because that is what is originally done...you might check to see if you have a Vocational Technology School around like Metrotech or Votech and have their autobody kids do it...cheaper and they use the oven but no gaurantees if it will be Maaco or look like sucko

Have a good day
Old 12-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #11
bluephoAm

Hahah damn.. that sounds like a good idea, though.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #12
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, if you're seriously considering doing this yourself, PM Bdyman, he's a paint guru to say the least. I HIGHLY suggest that you don't do it yourself though, as some things should be left up to the professionals.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:47 PM   #13
forbidden
Graphix GOD

forbidden is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to forbidden Send a message via Yahoo to forbidden
its not to hard it is all in the prep work... and if you just take off the clear before you paint it..... YOU seal it not prime it there is a difference... and use a good paint dont go cheep.
forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #14
smlzalero
where my knickers at?

smlzalero is an unknown quantity at this point
yea, make sure to prime the entire surface you want to paint.

A handy How To: sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, wet sand, paint, wet sand, paint, wet sand, paint, wet sand, clear, wet sand, clear, wet sand, clear :P
of course, it depends if you're using a 3 step paint or whatever. you may not have to sand all that much. Just follow the instrux on the paint(if there are any)

--UPDATE-- Have 6 months to start paying!
smlzalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:02 PM   #15
midnightalero01

has anyone ever tried electrostatic painting... i just learned about it in physics... basically you charge your sprayer with one charge and then what you are painting with the opposite charge and then all the paint particles become charged and are attracted to the material... sounds like it produces a very even coat
Old 12-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #16
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have NO idea if that's done on vehicle paint, but I know that's how most powdercoating works. The end result is tough as nails, too. :thumbsup:

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:14 PM   #17
midnightalero01

ummm i tried to pm bdyman like suggested however i recieved this message

This message can not be sent because the recipient does not have permission to use the personal messenger.

This personal message has not been sent

help please?
:unsure:
Old 12-13-2004, 09:50 PM   #18
forbidden
Graphix GOD

forbidden is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to forbidden Send a message via Yahoo to forbidden
electrostatic painting is used for stoves and and washers.... not your ride bro.... It is where they make the paint a pos charge and the "stove" a neg and it bonds to it.. It is real thick paint
forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:44 PM   #19
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Bdyman was banned from the site for being a bad boy. If you try to do it yourself just go nice a slow using nice even strokes, may sound stupid but try to paint with paint can something first to get a feel for it. And that electrostatic painting sounds exactly like powder coating if you plan on powder coating your car it most likely wont work becuase I dont now if the make a oven that big and you would ahve to strip the whole car including the glass, I beleive you need to get the heat over 400 degrees or so for it to work.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:01 PM   #20
|Rev|

yeah, bdyman was banned, I'm not sure of anyone else who knows how to paint a car that well around here.