Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
pimpnalero99

Thumbs up

For the past 3 months I've noticed that everytime I hit the brake, I hear a creaking noise coming from the front of my car. It's pretty loud too. Cuz when I turn off the radio and roll the windows down I can hear it. I feel like I'm driving some ghetto ass car. Does anyone know what this creak might be?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
worn out brakes
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
^makes sense to me.

if you hit the brake, and it squeeks. but it doesn't any other time, only one thing it could be....
Old 08-17-2005, 10:41 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Mine does it too.

The caliper just needs a bit of grease.

Notice if it doesn't creak, or at least as much after your car is really wet, like after driving in the rain, or right out of the car wash.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
pimpnalero99

Well I just replaced my rear brakes so I know that it definitely could not be that. My step-dad didn't think it was anything big. Just normal wear and tear. I just can't stand the noise. And I had my front brakes replaced a year ago. When we did my rear ones, we checked the front and they were fine. I think it might be in the pedal itself. Cuz I can feel a little vibration in it. Maybe I'll have a mechanic look at it.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
ShortysTRM

The same exact thing happened to April's Alero. I took out the top slide pin and it looked like it had mud for lubricant. It was apparently a mix of brake lubricant and rust. I cleaned that stuff out and cleaned off the pic, re-lubed it all and put it back together and it was fine. You could feel the popping in the pedal as you pushed it or released it. It took about 15 minutes total so it's worth looking at.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
Lovestheh20

I had a problem with my slides scraping the rotor. bent them outta the way and the sound was gone.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #8
teebo7

if you feel a vibration it could be the rotors.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:39 PM   #9
DCAleroGL

I agree with ShortysTRM. I let my front brakes go too long a while back and the exposed slides got rust and dirt on them. When the caliper went back in with the new pad thickness, that crap would cause it to creak as it slid in and out. It would then pop as I released the pressure on the pedal. Pissed me off until I asked a mechanic. Just pull your calipers off, and clean/grease the slide pins. Easy fix. If you let it go, you will put grooves in the slide pins and you'll have to replace them. Also run the caliper piston out and make sure there is no rust on that either. That can cause the creaking also. Since u got a 99, it might be worth it to get a caliper rebuild kit and service them completely.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
pimpnalero99

Thanks guys. I'll check it out.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:23 AM   #11
msualero

i have the same noise and response......was told its a wheel bearing...front right one and was told my brakes are fine....for your sake i hope its brakes
Old 08-20-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
mine creeked if it was in drive and i wasnt even moving, the caliper. so i replaced it
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #13
3.4 Euro Alero
GL Member

3.4 Euro Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Almost definitely the calipers. Had both my fronts replaced......TWICE..... in 2 years. Road Salt really messes them up badly! My buddy is a service manager for Subaru and recommended I have them cleaned and lubed annually.