Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Wired radio wrong

So my friend installed my aftermarket a while ago and when he installed it, i would have to turn the headlight switch all the way in order for it to work. So now i have to ride around with my night lights on during the day just to get my radio working. Is this the only way to wire the radio?
If not which color wires did he mess up and which is the right way?
Thanks
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
There should be an Accessory wire that goes from the factory wiring to the deck wiring so the radio would turn on when the key is in the ACC position. He probably wired the Accessory wire on the radio wiring harness to the headlight wiring...why he woould do this i have no idea.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
^id say that sounds right.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
what on earth......even if there is no ACC wire go to the fuse panel on the side of your dash ( driver side ) and attach the wire to the one that says radio.....wow thats the wierdest way ive ever heard of a radio being hooked up
Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
That's why harnesses come labeled...that is if a harness was used.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
That's why harnesses come labeled...that is if a harness was used.

used a harness, just incorrectly i guess haha
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
used a harness, just incorrectly i guess haha
lol...well at least you didn't fry anything.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Seriously how do you use a harness incorrectly? Is it that hard to match the colors together? Other then matching the wires to the proper color, its basically plug and play. Im not trying to hate, i just want to know the logic that was used to wire it to your headlights lol.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
Seriously how do you use a harness incorrectly? Is it that hard to match the colors together? Other then matching the wires to the proper color, its basically plug and play. Im not trying to hate, i just want to know the logic that was used to wire it to your headlights lol.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean my 3 year old knows what colors go to what.

Was this your buddy, or was it you and just saying your buddy did it?

I hope I neve need medical care in MA

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Oh give the guy a break...we have all had a "friend" screw up our stuff even though said "friend" reminds us and resembles themselves when looking in a mirror...LOL!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
well the guy could be color blind also and not know it
Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
spc2125
GLS member

no im serious it was my friend because i didnt know how to solder and he did so i let him do it. Hes actually really good with electronics and cars (he works at Raytheon)
anyways, idk where he screwed up. im going to look at it this weekend and ill snap photos of what it looks like
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Soldering? I'll be the first to say that the best connection is a fused connection but man you can pop these thing in, in like 5 to 10 mins using crimp caps, and I've never had one break free.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
no im serious it was my friend because i didnt know how to solder and he did so i let him do it. Hes actually really good with electronics and cars (he works at Raytheon)
anyways, idk where he screwed up. im going to look at it this weekend and ill snap photos of what it looks like
If he is really good with electronics and cars then how did he manage to screw up installing a color coded harness
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
spc2125
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
If he is really good with electronics and cars then how did he manage to screw up installing a color coded harness

How does a professional football player drop a pass?
How does a professional soccer player miss a penalty kick?
How does a professional basketball player miss a free throw?
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #16
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
How does a professional football player drop a pass?
How does a professional soccer player miss a penalty kick?
How does a professional basketball player miss a free throw?

a.He gets hit
b. The goalie blocks it
c. His girlfriend is making out with some random dude in his line of sight while he is trying to shoot and he throws the ball away so he can go and kick the other guys tail.

Seriously though I know mistakes happen but I have used multiple of the harnesses and never had any trouble reading the different color keys and matching things up. We were taught that in elementary school. How much had said friend had to drink before installing said radio...LOL
Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #17
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

hmmm... I'll have to go with c on this one. as an answer to all the above questions. but I can understand screwing up a wire, Iv done it many a times before myself.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
hmmm... I'll have to go with c on this one. as an answer to all the above questions. but I can understand screwing up a wire, Iv done it many a times before myself.

I know but I was just giving him crap in the first place but as he seemed to get so fired up about it I just had to drag it out a little longer. I know that stuff doesn't always go like it is supposed to.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

I was trying to add a bit of comic relief.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
I was trying to add a bit of comic relief.

are you implying that my smart assed answers to his scenarios didn't help...lol <== drowning man