Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 01-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #21
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
smlz did a good job w/ her radio. Check the how to for that...

and i think you can get blue 3mm leds from oznium which would probably fit into the control cluster.... if/when you do the control part, take some pics.. i want to see what one looks like incase i deside to do mine.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #22
PlainOldOlds
V.I.P. Member

PlainOldOlds is an unknown quantity at this point
I took apart a spare I bought to hack at today. The bulbs
are indeed soldered in to the circuit board, and right down to the
base, just as had been reported. Main lighting is done with incands,
the buttons are another story.

I'll post all about it when I can upload the pictures, I'm considering
my options, and will post again soon!

I'll go look for Smlz's radio...
PlainOldOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #23
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
How many LED's did you use for the cluster and the shifter lights??? I don't really want to take my dash apart twice... once to figure out how many, and twice to put them in. lol Looks really cool, I want blue like that to go with my midnight blue alero. Thanks for this neat mod.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #24
PlainOldOlds
V.I.P. Member

5 in the cluster (I think, lol!) and 1 in the shifter. Someone has posted a picture of the openings and polarity on the back of the cluster, search for guage cluster.

The shifter does look a little bit brighter around N/D even with the inverted LED but it's not bad. You should look for that other thread, he used 3 standard sized LEDs per opening in the cluster, after trying 1 and not being happy... I tried a single 194 mount (much easier) first and was happy enough... but his way is probably brighter.

As for taking it apart twice, I just drove around with the cluster unscrewed and the trim off until I got my bulbs, it lays right down in there even without being screwed down. It's not pretty, but it's fully drivable without the 6 screws and trim piece.

Sorry I haven't had an update on the a/c controls yet, I've been busy trying to stop the water from coming in through the doors, among other non-Alero things!

I used black silicone caulk on the passenger side door, above where the stock (and poorly installed) butyl was... It was 64 out today (WTF? This weather is VERY unusual in NJ!) so after 2 days to cure, I hit it with the hose and it seemed to work well enough, so I put the interior panel back on.

It's a temporary fix... removing the stock adhesive didn't seem to be going anywhere and it's cold out. Caulk stinks a few days when curing under ideal temp, but who cares... I'm a man I can deal with that!

I'm probably going to do the driver side Monday if it's not raining or snowing. In a few months when it warms up more, I'll probably re-do both doors the right way, with new plastic and butyl.

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to find little bulb condoms to go over the stock incands in the HVAC controls, I really don't want to try desoldering them from the circuit board and installing LEDs there, because my soldering skills suck. I'm sure I'll have to, but I'm trying to avoid it. Either way I'm determined to change color of the HVAC controls (and maybe the radio) before summer rolls around.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #25
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
circuit board soldering is quite easy. espicially w/ leds. they only work one way. find the leads on one side, follow through to the other, and hit it w/ the gun. then repeat for installing.

... w/ all the LED work i've done, i've found we have alot of members afraid of soldering...

only one way to get better at it!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #26
PlainOldOlds
V.I.P. Member

Oh believe me, I've done my share of it... I just try to avoid it.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #27
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I tried but never got the hang of it. Its not fun to work with a 300* piece of metal so close to your skin.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #28
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I think for the cd player, I'm just getting a new one... My stock one is crap... Skips all the time...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #29
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Yes I tried but never got the hang of it. Its not fun to work with a 300* piece of metal so close to your skin.

ohhh, the burns i have... but its good to get a project done and done well. if it costs a few patches of skin... i don't care. skin grows back.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #30
PlainOldOlds
V.I.P. Member

I think my main problem, is I need a good adjustable power iron. I have an electric I paid $1.99 for 10 years ago, it gets way too hot... and a butane one, which is a gem on the road, but really is no good for fine work. Its great for attaching RF connectors to coax or soldering power connectors, but you can't really use it on a circuit board.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #31
cherrington17
Gone

that makes sense. now that you mention it, i'm completely burned through the tip on my "good" one. i have a 45W one that will melt anything. its a little too high, but good for doing small stuff.... i can heat it up, unplug it and work for a little while. (as well as silver bearing stuff... needs to be ridiculously hot)
but i have a 20W one thats perfect for car stuff... but the tip is toast on it.

and sry... kinda pirated your thread. doh!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:04 PM   #32
PlainOldOlds
V.I.P. Member

Its ok this thread is a mess anyway, I even flipped on a large image poster while drunk one night. It's all good.

In other news, it rained hard today and the passenger door didn't leak... once the rain stops I can fix the drivers side and move on to the rest of the interior lighting while huffing the fumes. :P
Old 01-24-2006, 08:02 AM   #33
cherrington17
Gone

i think i've taken a full year off my life w/ all the solder i've breathed just setting up the second "theme" of lights in my car. :o

.... CAN'T WAIT to take a few more off...
Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 PM   #34
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
can you post a link to where you got the led? i rended a g6 last week and the red was sweet i would eather do red or blue.
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote