Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
greenbastard
GL Member

greenbastard is an unknown quantity at this point
quad 4 intake question

my buddy said that i should put a quad 4 intake on my 2.4. he said it will fit. i think i need to drill two new holes and use the quad 4 throtlebody aswell. i know it can be done but can someone tell me exactly what i need and how to do it. i think i can get one for pretty cheap because my friend needs an engine for his 93 GAGT and his blew up.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Are you talking intake tube and filter? Because it'll be pretty much the same tube and air box that you have stock. If you're talking Quad 4 High Output intake manifold, yes it'll fit but you have to modify it a little to get it to bolt on right. On the mounting holes between runners 1+2 and 3+4 (the holes that are one above the other) you need to slot out the bottom hole and drill the top hole a little lower to match the bolt pattern on the 2.4 head. Also you'll need to either change the shape of the ports on the runners or get an adapter plate to go in between the head and intake manifold flange since the head ports and intake runner ports aren't the same shape.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
greenbastard
GL Member

i just read the quad 4 forum on this and it looks really hard. i have no clue at all what i'm doing. i know that it has to be redrilled. what about the ports? is there a plate and where can i get it? is it easy reshaping it? what all do i have to extend and how do i do this? this was not clear to me. will my WAI piping and cupling fit on the H.O throtlebody? this is a big project(i think) because i don't quite know what i'm doing and i don't trust myself. i am mechincally inclined. i have done three engine swaps and a clutch and a tranny. but this is my baby not a piece of shit and i don't trust myself. if anyone has any close up pics of how it looks as a final product (close pictures:throtlebody, manifoled, etc. ) or anything that can help me please post them.

Last edited by greenbastard : 02-22-2007 at 09:22 PM.
greenbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Swapping engines and partially fabricating engine parts are two different things. If you don't trust yourself, don't try making it work until you research everything and know what to do and where to do it. Or get someone that knows what they're doing to do it for you. I don't really have a close up of what the modifications are to the manifold, just a pic of my engine with the manifold on it:
Old 02-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
shackney
GL Member

shackney is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to shackney
thats very clean looking
Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
you can get a HO manifold already modified from the race shop. also you don't have to run the 2.3 TB. i am running a 2.4 TB you just have to drill out 2 of the holes for the larger bolts. as for the WAI it will fit but you will need to add some to it.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
you should be able to see what some of the mods and rewiring and crap you have to do by these. they are not the best but there is a couple install guides out there.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
not a bad project. i encourage you to go with a 2.3 throttle body. just, keep the 2.3 sensors. some guys have been having issues with the 2.4 sensors in the 2.3 throttle body. it wants to rev a little some times.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
greenbastard
GL Member

i will do a little more researching and see what all have to do and thanks for the help. i will pobably need more later on.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #10
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
I actually have a 2.3Ho intake manifold for sale, but I'm not letting it go for cheap. The bolt holes are setup to go on a 2.4L head. $120 shipped. Bolt on and go.

here's a tip for anybody going w/ a different throttle body than the stock 2.4 throttle body.

Keep the sensors that came w/ the throttle body. If it's a 2.4L throttle body keep 2.4L sensors on it. if it is a 2.3 throttle body keep the 2.3 sensors on it, if it's an LS1 throttle body keep the LS1 sensors on it. They're made for the specific throttle body, the wiring plugs go in just the same, GM makes it easy like that. No need to change out sensors. This will keep your idle safe and not crazy. Also make sure you have no vacuume leaks or that will drive you crazy.

Also when doing the 2.3HO intake manifold you have to make your own gasket, since the 2.3 gasket won't work and the 2.4L gasket is a weird plastic piece that physically attaches to the 2.4L intake manifold via clips. Basically go to Pepboys and cut to fit your own.

You won't honestly see much gains from it until you get header, 2.5inch exhaust, secret cams, head work, and a retune. It's meant for big airflow, which a stock 2.4L head doesn't exactly capable of until you start giving it some generous and sexy headwork. In my own humble opinion.

But again i have one that I used to use on my car for sale, $120. Like someone earlier mentioned you can still use your 2.4L throttle body you just have to drill out two holes a lil bit so the 2.3 manifolds bolts will go through and use a 2.3 intake manifold gasket. the manifold I have can support up to a 62mm throttle body.

AIM: monkthe1
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

i agree spy, after the cams and head and everything else it really all came together in a good combo and things flowed well.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
greenbastard
GL Member

i think i might look in to your 2.3HO intake spy. i live in canada and thay will probably cost more but my friends parents drive truck in the states. i'll let you know if i want it. back to the intake, i want to see the difference between the ports from the 2.4 and 2.3HO. if anyone can show me then i kind of know what i will be dealing with. how much is it off by? is the shape different?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

the 2.4 has B ports while the 2.3 has oval ports

read this and it will give you pics and info

http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695

and here

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14296
Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #14
greenbastard
GL Member

thanks for the help

Last edited by greenbastard : 02-28-2007 at 10:22 PM.
greenbastard is offline   Reply With Quote