Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #21
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
so.... what was it that you ordered?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #22
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
plexi?
Well I thought about that but I'm working with limited tools. Being that I switched jobs so I'm thinking of something that is stiff but fairly easy to cut with hand tools. These LED's wont put off any heat really.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #23
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
so.... what was it that you ordered?
I ordered the Led ribbon, but will have to get some of the flexi.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #24
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
http://www.oznium.com/led-ribbon ??

if you end up not using them.. i'll probably buy them off ya.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #25
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
http://www.oznium.com/led-ribbon ??

if you end up not using them.. i'll probably buy them off ya.
I'll let you know. I damn sure wont charge 4 bucks for shipping ...LOL

I will say this it is a pretty good product...very well done, and very neat.

This is the way to go when there are clearance issues or finding a way to mount them. I could just stick them to the inside if I wanted to but I wouldn't be able to see the LED's.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:14 AM   #26
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Lonnie,
If you continue on with this project maybe I would be willing to pay the shipping for you. However it comes off the bill of you making me one too. LOL
-Smurf-
PappaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #27
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
Lonnie,
If you continue on with this project maybe I would be willing to pay the shipping for you. However it comes off the bill of you making me one too. LOL
-Smurf-
HaHa I should have this done this weekend, unless I go on this annual bike ride on the beach, and I'll get pics up just got to figure out if I'm going to use the ones I got....which I paid a fortune for....or if I'm going to go all flexi or not.

We will see, if a enough people like them enough I would be willing to make them just for the cost to ship it to that person. They of course would have to send me there brake light of course.....We'll see! This is just a little project to keep me out of trouble..
Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #28
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
well, ill pay for you or someone to make me one! i want one wit at least 80 leds... please?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #29
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
well, ill pay for you or someone to make me one! i want one wit at least 80 leds... please?
You may want to go with Cherry's design then..with my design I will only need about 36. I think Cherry's has like 85 or some ungodly amount of LED's . Cav's only has one strip in his of like 16 to 18 LED's to mimick the impala's LED tail light.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #30
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
You may want to go with Cherry's design then..with my design I will only need about 36. I think Cherry's has like 85 or some ungodly amount of LED's . Cav's only has one strip in his of like 16 to 18 LED's to mimick the impala's LED tail light.

well, i do like the turn signal idea, can you possibly make me one? 36 should blind someone is placed correctly
Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #31
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
well, i do like the turn signal idea, can you possibly make me one? 36 should blind someone is placed correctly
Well let me figure it out first and if it works out then sure.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #32
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Well let me figure it out first and if it works out then sure.

haha ok,

me=lazy

you=smart

me+your light =
Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #33
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:

hey! only 65!

and mine isn't bright at all. i'll try to remember to get pics tonight.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #34
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
hey! only 65!

and mine isn't bright at all. i'll try to remember to get pics tonight.
Who was it using like 80 to 100...I think it was the guy making all the custom lights! Yeah get pics and post here..I want to see if you can see the LED's...if you can try and take them like 10 to 15ft away..if you don't mind.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #35
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Being that I was off because I was sick...I decided to get started. First I completely changed my mind on how I was going to mount them. After much debate I decided to cut a piece of shoe box that was stiff enough to support the ribbon LED's.
Attachment 6348
Self explanitory...soldering..and it was a bitch to solder these surface mounts..maybe it was because of the type of wire I had, and not having a clamp..but it was still a bitch.LOL
Attachment 6350
After the templae was cut and the wires soldered to the LED strip I mounted the first LED strip to it. I mounted it on the dark side to cut down on any reflections...will this work..I don't know but I will see...LOL..I also painted the inside of the reflector housing a non reflective green to cut down on any reflections as well.
Attachment 6349
Here is the start of one of the Turn Signal Led strips
Attachment 6351
After getting the soldering done on both strips I mounted them on the template...you may or may not be able to see but the strips actually over lap one another..just so that they could fit within the reflector.
Attachment 6352
And here it is My Third Brake Light with Turn signals..the black\red leads are for the brake light, and the green\black leads are for the turn signals. I haven't put it together with the housing yet because as I mentioned above I painted it and I'm waiting for it to dry. Secondly I have to get some silicone and run a bead around the inside edge of the reflector just to protect the strip even more. Is it necessary maybe not but it keeps me sane.
Attachment 6353
And this is what it looks like from the front...not to noticeable that it has been changed unless it is in the light and the strip reflects the light. These Leds are suppose to have a viewing angle of 120 degrees from 0 so it should look good no matter what angle. The proof will come this weekend. Maybe...Maybe not?
Attachment 6354

I'll post up some pics of it all together later on. Not going to install this until this weekend so we'll see.
If you do a project like this it would be best to test the LED's first...it didn't dawn on me until it was glued in to the reflector...luckily..(knock on wood) they all appeared to be working.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #36
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Here are some pics with the lens mounted back on the reflector. Excuse me if I call something the wrong name...I'm sick sue me...LOL

Attachment 6355

Attachment 6356

Attachment 6357
Old 04-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #37
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

I'm thinking about doing the side mirror turn signal mod now! These surface mounts will be perfect for that.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #38
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Its different thats all. No reason at all I just think its cool, and no one else has it.

I also find my self drawn to the the middle of the car that is in front of me as well. There have been studies that showed that Third brake lights have reduced accidents significantly, and I'm just improving on the design...I'm sure I'm not the only one that sees the third brake light first before I see anything else.

That's true.... Goodluck with it and I can't wait to see the finished product.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #39
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Looks good. I'm thinking about redoing my LED 3rd brake light in the fall. I also need to put LEDs in my passenger mirror so both mirrors have the turn signals again...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #40
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
Looks good. I'm thinking about redoing my LED 3rd brake light in the fall. I also need to put LEDs in my passenger mirror so both mirrors have the turn signals again...
Thanks!

Yeah I was going back through the old threads and wanted to ask you if you took your mirror off? Cause I think these surface mount LED's that I used for the Third brake light would be perfect for this application. These things are expensive but they give you the advantage of mounting in a small space. The adhesive backing is an added bonus.

I'm thinking of getting two more 12 inch strips and mounting them on the inside of the mirror on the top. I just have to get the mirror off without breaking it.