Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 11-18-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
havik

Quote:
Almost everybody looking to modify their Alero 2.4 are looking into CAI. Most (probably all) CAI locate the filter in the front bumper, behind the fog lamps...

Isn’t that an odd place to put the air filter? ok, it's the perfect place for temperature and flow, but what about water coming onto the engine from the air filter ? You know, when you drive in a pothole and the water splash 10' in the air.... what about the poor air filter sitting at 8" from the ground.... ?

Quote:
no problems last winter or this spring (not much rain so this summer) worst i've seen so far is water hitting the block and steam comming off no problem with the intake though, the 3.4 guys put their's down there as well and none of them have had problems, unless maybe you drive through like 8" of water.

Quote:

Quote:
unless maybe you drive through like 8" of water.
Not really, but i'm looking to make one my self, like a lot of poeple... and i read on a site, once, that CAI, unlike the stock intake, could let water in beacause it's very "direct" to the TB.

is a "do it youre self" CAI as efficient as the ones we can buy ?

Quote:
probably. The main benefits of a CAI are 1. colder air, duh 2. less resistance to intake (less curves, turns, and smoother surfaces) so the air will flow through the intake at a higher velocity, 3. they are usually larger in dia. than the stock setup, allowing more air toenter the TB.

Quote:
you won't have anything to worry about unless you somehow manage to totally submerge your filter in water.... i have a custom made cai and i've had no problems with water even with the filter wet a little... you don't have to worry

Quote:
THis is what we installed mine into, notice all the salt, sand, and snow. I drove from Colorado Springs, CO to omaha, NE like 600 miles w/o and problems right after that and have seen a full winter and spring with no problems
Old 11-18-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
flalero

Yeah, I haven't seen a problem yet with mine. The filter does get wet, but it doesn't come up through the intake. I've taken it apart after driving through a very hard rain and the water doesn't make it past the first bend in the tubing.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:38 PM   #3
havik

Does your filter get ruined?? Or can it be dried out and cleaned?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:50 PM   #4
flalero

It can be dried out and cleaned just fine.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:46 AM   #5
alerov6

trust me if u get water up through the intake and into the MAF u are screwed, I know from experience
Old 11-21-2003, 10:33 AM   #6
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
Ive actually retained alotta water in my valves, (ask scot ) and just make sure your filter is covered because with a certain bodykit i use to have it had no protection
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:42 PM   #7
flalero

I know you are screwed when it gets into the engine, but the water doesn't make it up that far. I make sure I never floor the throttle when it is raining outside or if my filter is wet. Plus is gets some protection from the fog light and the mesh.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:51 PM   #8
Seire

A little bit of water won't kill your engine. In order to hydrolock your engine, you'd (literally) have to submerge your entire CAI in water and floor the gas pedal.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:19 PM   #9
99ALERO

the only way water gets to my CAI is thru the bottom of the headlight assembly, wonder why gm never put rubber around the headlights?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:41 PM   #10
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
my car has stalled out from water being absorbed through my CAI. started up later but still not good.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:15 PM   #11
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
ive had mine on since june with no problem.
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:33 PM   #12
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
no problems with mine.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:41 PM   #13
Oldsmopimp

Ive been worring about the whole water thru the CAI thing as well. Im gald someone started a thread about it.
I was ready to order it today, but I just went out to look at how well the inside of the fender is sealed(3400 V-6) and its not sealed well at all! Like metioned in this thread, under the headlamp is a big one, and there also minor gaps that I saw around the fender lining, and from under the bumper.
I'm thinking maybe Im better off with the WAI(filter under the hood) since my Alero is an everyday driver.(minus the winter) And the LAST thing I want is to get water thru the T.B., and have to not drive drive my car thru heavy rains.
Do you guys really see THAT much of a performance diffrence with the CAI over the WAI???
Old 12-30-2003, 09:05 PM   #14
flalero

Yes, there is a bit of a difference, especially on the top end. Like everyone said, there won't be a problem with water, unless you submerge the filter.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:58 PM   #15
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
The whole point of the CAI is that it sucks air from a place not well-insulated. You want the air from the outside of the car to enter the CAI filter, not the air inside the car. Unless you drive in areas that flood badly very often... you won't need to worry too much about sucking in water. You just need to be mindful where your engine is getting the air from. If there is a big puddle of water, don't drive through it... drive around it or go a different route.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:48 AM   #16
AleroSS

What is the better place to restrict water into the intake for the CAI -
A) The Front Bumper Air Dam (DS)
B) The Wheel Well
C) Other - please describe...