Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 10-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #21
kampfer422

true true.....there's not alot of sounds off here i care to partake in. Considering my one 12 in a sealed box holds it own against some 15s ported i have no fun and no one here cares for SQ.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #22
gre0481

Sorry I diodn't catch this earlier :P It's a bit late now, but for future referance.

Just as they make wiring harnesses for stereos, they make them for speakers.

Most good audio places keep them in stock. ANd some good ones don't, and will order em if you ask. They're also available from meta and scosche.

Harnesses are the best option, if you ever plan on getting rid of the car.

Most people go towards blue book value, including dealers.
SO when you sell your vehicle, you don't get any extra money for the extras you put into it. With harnesses, you just remove the aftermarket stuff and harness, and slap the OEM back in..

Unless you're going with a really old vehicle, then it might not have connectors. But I'm saying pre 80's, 70's...
Old 10-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #23
n8dogcky

how would i wire aftermarket speakers to a (i think) monsoon system where 4wires go into the old speakers
Old 10-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #24
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Unless you have bi-amping speakers, you can't use the monsoon. It uses 2 seperate amps for the tweet and woofer. You will need to cut the rear wires from the HU (prior to the monsoon) and wire it to the new speaker. Unfortunately, you will only get about 7 watts from the HU. Do a search on here for monsoon wire code and you will find the pinouts.
The monsoon amp takes your HU signal and processes it via a dsp to give the rear a seperate high and low channel. If you try to use one set of wires, the new speaker will only get a limited range of frequencies. Sine the amp has seperated the rear to two independant channels, you can't just wire the two setts togeather. You would quite literaly be placing two amps onto one speaker.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #25
mikegett
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kampfer422@Oct 15 2005, 09:16 PM
640$ is a high price but not too bad for quality speakers or components. I doubt many people would even think the difference in sound is worth it, but people like me and Asoka definitely would notice. You definitely pay for quality and the smoothness of the frequency range.

Why get a rear stage? Going for a 5.1 setup? I don't really like rear fill. I may add that in later but doubt it...just a heavy front stage. I think i'll have about 1k$ wrapped up in the front stage with like 10drivers up front or very close to the front. But i just got these kick panels and i have to mod them cause they don't fit my ES-600s...that sucks!!
I take it that your ES-600s is a 6.5S and not a 6.5. It makes it difficult to install but you get a speaker that is 6.5 inches for the cone and not 6.5 inches for the outside of the speaker. In reality, they are closer to 7inch speakers.
Rear fill is a matter of taste. Some people prefer to have a rear fill. I can't stand to have my front stage directed in front. If I can tell where the sound is coming from, then I get extremely annoyed. A good imaging will allow the fronts to surround you just as rear fill will, but it takes louder volumes. My wife will not allow me to increase the volume beyond 22 ( I listen at 44 and max out around 77). With the volume that low, rear fill is a must.
My most expensive set of speakers were eclipse 8701 3-ways components. I bought them back in 98 or 99. They retailed for 1200 but the employee price was just over 300. I have to say that they were the best sounding speakers I have used. The problem was trying to install them. The midrange was a 6 inch ribbon. The same technology used for ribbon tweeters. It is a thin piece of material laid over the voice coil opposed to a cone. The sound is amazing but they require a very large and obscure mounting manor. kampfer422 probably knows what a ribbon speaker is like. Just as he stated. No matter how expensive or nice the speaker, if you can't get a good install it won't live up to its potential. My JLxr's sound great, but I am serious need of sound deadoning. If I increase the volume my doors resonate something fierce.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #26
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
yeah same here mike, my pass side map poket rattles like a mgofo at higher volumes. Its starting to piss me off! If your gonna get some sound deadening let me know, cause maybe we can get a group buy going. there is a guy on caraudio.com that works for second skin, so he might be able to work a deal. he also tends to have stuff for sale on caraudio.com from his own stas.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:43 AM   #27
kampfer422

well the ES-600 is a 6.75 speaker. Quite annoying for installation but well worth the hassle. For right now i've decided to mount a baffle for the 5.25 HDs and then make a new door pod for the ES-600's. It may take me a little bit to make the door pod right. I would love to get ribbon speakers or tweeters but the installation is too much of a hassle and won't really go well withough major modding to the panels. I love the sounds of the ribbon tweets though, nice pick there Mike. If you're looking for sound deadening, I am talking with ANT, guy from 2nd Skin, he's on all the forums so probably the guy Osaka is talking about. I am trying to get him to let me sell 2nd Skin but maybe i'll see if i can get a group buy or something. I can get sound deadening materials off of Parts Express.com right now at dealer price. But i need lots of it, like 100sq ft, maybe 75sq ft. for my coupe. Too much sound pressure. Hell, when i get done with the car for the summer shows i should have about 8speakers up front(4 in each door), 4 speakers in the rear (4in and 6.5in in each side panel), and hopefully two 12s.

I also know what you mean by needing rear fill for low volumes. Right the front stage is good for me but does suck at low volumes but with my plans i think i'll have all i need.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:52 AM   #28
mikegett
GL Member

I was hoping to wait until spring for the deadening. The high right now will probably be in the high 60's for quite some time. That means alot of time heating the sound deadener for a proper bonding. I just don't know if I can wait that long. I placed a small amount behind the speaker to beging with. It lasted about 2 months before everything started to rattle. Anyone have a good estimate of the quantity needed for the front two doors in a 4 door alero?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #29
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

Im geussing no more than 12sqft per door. Its about 4 x 3. Ill measure it up today.

Yeah I think the guys name is ANT. If you can get a good price ill take enough to do the whole car. And waiting till spring is probably what im gonna do to. Mybe buy it soon, but wait till it gets warmer to install.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:29 PM   #30
kampfer422

well i used about 15sq ft on my doors of the Galant. That was 2 layers on outside skin, two layers that covered all the holes of the inside metal and a layer of matt on the trim panel itself. I think for my coupe i'm thinking of about 75sq ft. for the whole thing. That will give me like 3 layers on the trunk floor, two layers on the side, 2 layers on the trunk lid, 2 layers on the rear deck, one layer on rear seats floor, two layers under driver and pass seat, two layers on side panels, doors throroughly(sp? that just doesn't look right) deadened, and possibly the roof. And the firewall will have two layers. Lots of deadening!!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:12 AM   #31
kampfer422

For those interested in 2nd Skin deadening

ANT did go ahead with the discount but you need to be signed up for one of these forums.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:06 PM   #32
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

sweet, im a member of caraudio.com.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #33
mikegett
GL Member

Very nice. Is there a location that we purchase the second skin from for the discount?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #34
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

click on the link and join one of the sites.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #35
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Comming home from work today I heard the following and they all sounded great

November Rain GNR
Paradise by the dashboard light Meat Loaf
Where's the party KidRock

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #36
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Menace is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Menace
I actually just bought those same speakers from best buy {Pioneer "TS-A6961R" 6x9's}

They sound great just installed them today and I felt the same way, they sound better then the more exspensive ones.

2007 Scion tC in driveway!!

Stuff for sale

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:16 PM   #37
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Btw on the topic of those speakers, I want to mount them and not use the stock 6x9 cover. The only problem is that the oldsmobile company cut the 6x9 holes f*ckn huge. So I was thinking maybe just to replace the carpeting in the space behind my back seats then place them in and cut it so it perfectly fits. Any other ideas ?

Stuff for sale

Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 PM   #38
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
sounds like a decent plan. i haven't figured out how to get my carpet out of there though. it tips up, but the back seems to be firmly stuck back there.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #39
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Yah same here..

Stuff for sale

Old 10-25-2005, 02:32 PM   #40
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

Once you remove all the plastic clips on the front its just a matter of pulling and twisting to get it out.

I suggest fabbing up a mdf baffle to mount the speakers in. Thats what my plan is . Make sure to put some sort of sounddeadenig between the baffle and the metal or else you may get one hell of a rattle. Rubber washer shoul do the trick or just screw the bastard down real tight.