Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-24-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
jiffy

EDITED

Ok guys I installed my cathodes tonight, just a SINGLE set of 4" lights for the footwells. I ran them off of the cubby light, so they will come on with the headlights.

Soon after I installed them my dome light and trunk light wouldn't turn on. I replaced the interior lamps bulb and everything was fine.

Then I left my dome light and headlights on and killed my battery.

I jumped my car and an hour later the cathodes go out along with all my dash lights. The Interior Lamp Dimmer fuse blew this time.

What gives?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
check the wiring. maybe you have a bad connection somewhere(like some wires are touching in the cubby connection)

something is draining WAY more then it should. leaving your dome and headlights on shouldn't kill your battery in one night. (maybe if your battery is kinda low it might)

my suggestion is to check the cubby connection and the wiring. make sure the red is going to the permenant power (connection isn't loose) and the black is a solid ground. and that they aren't close to each other in the cubby spot.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
the headlights on all nite WILL drain the battery. now, as far as the fuse blowing, check your connections. and the amp rating on the fuse and the amp draw for the cathodes
Old 06-25-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
I thought our batteries had some sort of anti-drain type system where if there was a power source drawing power, before it got to dead battery status, it would shut it off...maybe i'm thinking of the aurora...
Old 06-25-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
i wish mine did that.....
Old 06-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Well, I just remember when I had my old alero ghetto rigged with the amp on a manual switch that i left it on a couple nights and I thought that it manually turned itself off...
Old 06-25-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
ok, i guess i was wrong on the head light issue. but cathodes only pull one amp per hour. no way would they blow a fuse, unless connections were crossed.

i'd know on that one, w/ 4 cathodes in one small area of my car, i've crossed them more then once, while moving things. i learned that quick.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
jiffy

I didn't have a chance to look at the cathode again today but I disconnected it from the cubby light for now.

The newest problem (maybe its own topic) my instrument panel does not work. No engine temp, no tach, speedometer, gas gauge or even an odometer. When the car is running no lights come on either. When it is in the ON position the battery and service engine soon lights will come on.

Also, my radio does not work. unless the car is in ACC mode. When the car is running the radio is completely dark and won't turn on.

Lastly, my AC isn't working but the blower motor does work.

I checked every fuse I could and everything is fine. Maybe a relay is to blame?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #9
jiffy

I did find this old post, but I'm not sure if it applies to my problem.

http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=634
Old 06-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

if that many things are out, i'd have a friend who is good w/ cars take a look at it, or take it to a shop... that can't be good.

or i'd grab your trusty multimeter (or buy one) and start checking things for voltage or continuity.(sp?)

thats all i got. hope it helps.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:52 PM   #11
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Quote:
Originally posted by double0alero@Jun 25 2005, 01:44 PM
I thought our batteries had some sort of anti-drain type system where if there was a power source drawing power, before it got to dead battery status, it would shut it off...maybe i'm thinking of the aurora...

I know my 03 has a battery run down protection which has saved my butt. I for some reason have a habbit of leaving the dome light on alot and it shuts it down after 20 mins. As soon as the key is turned, it turns it back on.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #12
jiffy

I think when the battery died it was because I had the key in the on position. I was outside doing work on the car.

I have an amp, which was also turned on during this time, which was maybe an hour and a half or so.

I have an appointment monday morning to get my fuses and relays checked at monro, but if this is something I can resolve myself I'd much rather do that.

So, I'm still looking for some suggestions as to what this could be.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #13
jiffy

Persistance has paid off.

I did more searching on aleromod.com and I foudn the problem. When one of my other fuses blew I borrowed the cruise control fuse since according to the owners manual the only thing that was hooked to was the cruise.

Turns out that the cruise fuse plays much larger of a role than that. I borrowed my power mirrors fuse and plugged it into the cruise adn VOILA! everything is back on, including the AC.

Interestingly enough, the odometer didn't change even though I drove 40+ miles with the cluster not working. So, anyone looking to cheat on their milage easily should just be able to remove the cruise fuse.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:22 PM   #14
cherrington17
Gone

glad you caught it. easier to fix then it sounded like.

when i started doing the majority of my electical work, i just went out and bought a 25pk of 10 amp and 20 amp fuses. i still have tons left, but if i blow one, i can throw another in w/o having to worry about being out. lol
Old 06-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #15
bigd6983

Quote:
Originally posted by jiffy@Jun 26 2005, 12:08 PM
Persistance has paid off.

I did more searching on aleromod.com and I foudn the problem. When one of my other fuses blew I borrowed the cruise control fuse since according to the owners manual the only thing that was hooked to was the cruise.

Turns out that the cruise fuse plays much larger of a role than that. I borrowed my power mirrors fuse and plugged it into the cruise adn VOILA! everything is back on, including the AC.

Interestingly enough, the odometer didn't change even though I drove 40+ miles with the cluster not working. So, anyone looking to cheat on their milage easily should just be able to remove the cruise fuse.

Thanks guys.

wonder how long it will take for this to get erased lol.......

but glad you figured everything out
Old 06-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #16
Cyber Knight
Swank

Cyber Knight is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by double0alero@Jun 25 2005, 11:44 AM
Alero's have that for sure. Mine dome light has auto-offed a couple of times for me.