Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
Talking LA1 Build

I picked up my Blown 3400 yesterday. I had been searching for a bad one for ages and just found this. Guy just gave it to me too! I got it because my 12 year-old daughter wants to learn how to tear down and rebuild! I am such a proud daddy! We are going to get it torn apart today hopefully. Some pictures will follow. I am open to suggestions on this build. Here's what I will be doing with the car; it is my daily driver. I drive on the intersate at 75 for about 25 miles each way. Don't have a ton of money to spend, but don't want a factory build either. Was thinking something mild. But I have never built one of these before. So what do you think I should do?

Last edited by mmorello82 : 03-11-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: oops! Typo!
mmorello82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
throttle body, u/l intakes, heads and cam.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Pistons can be had pretty cheap now too man. I'd definately go for a set if I was taking mine apart again
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
mmorello82
GX Member

I was thinking of building for low end torque. Would I need to replace the pistons for that? And what kind of pistons would I need? If I do the u/l intakes, just port match or port/polish? Who does a good job that I can get ahold of? I've been told I need velocity of air flow, not so much more flow. What do you think? Thanks for the input!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post
I was thinking of building for low end torque. Would I need to replace the pistons for that? And what kind of pistons would I need? If I do the u/l intakes, just port match or port/polish? Who does a good job that I can get ahold of? I've been told I need velocity of air flow, not so much more flow. What do you think? Thanks for the input!
milzy or Ben from wotech you could do the 3500top swap wiseco pistons.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
throttle body, u/l intakes, heads and cam.

i agree, and get tuned.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
mmorello82
GX Member

Is the 3500 top swap fairly reasonable?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
unchained01
GX Member

unchained01 is on a distinguished road
http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/350.../prod_297.html
unchained01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
I would reccomend getting a new comp valvetrain and p&p heads, also milling them if your going to cam. If no cam than mill alot and p&p heads and intake mannys... Torque monster just check your quinch yo
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
mmorello82
GX Member

That's exactly what I want. I like the torque that the factory engine has, so I want more! Thanks for the advice! I'll look into p&p. I looked at the 3500 swap, and it's a little out of my price range. Plus, Ben at WOT is worried about my block. He says if the cam broke, it could be siezed and my block would be junk. Have to get it out to find out.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Cam pull is fun with the 3400 have fun!
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
mmorello82
GX Member

Still haven't gotten to the crank/cam yet. I just aquired a Harmonic Balancer Puller from a friend, but it is missing the bolts. Now I would have figured that in ALL the bolts I've remover so far that I would find some that work. No Dice. Anyone know what size bolts I need to get to get the damn thing off???
Old 03-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
G.I.Ceo
GX Member

G.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post
Still haven't gotten to the crank/cam yet. I just aquired a Harmonic Balancer Puller from a friend, but it is missing the bolts. Now I would have figured that in ALL the bolts I've remover so far that I would find some that work. No Dice. Anyone know what size bolts I need to get to get the damn thing off???

Just go rent one from Auto Zone. It's like 20 bucks and you can keep it as long as you need. Then you won't have to worry about going and finding the right bolts.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / 60lb Injectors / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
mmorello82
GX Member

I thought about it....