Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #81
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I would think that you would want to have at least 100,000 miles on an engine before you would want to use this stuff.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #82
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
last post in this thread was over 4 months ago, lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #83
aleroguy
GX Member

aleroguy is on a distinguished road
So I know this is an old thread and everything, but I was wondering if there are any negative effects to using seafoam. I've been thinking about trying this but i just don't want to harm my car in any way, or if its even worth trying...I've read through the whole thread and it seems to be about half good/half bad or no opinion...
So if anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.
aleroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #84
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Id say the worse it could do is if your engine is really dirty, you could clog your Catalytic converter. Also, it could rape your spark plugs.

If you do it right, thats about the worse that could happen.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #85
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
- kills your catalytic converter
- kills your spark plugs
- kills your oil

But you're supposed to change your spark plugs and oil after you use it anyway. I'll never use Seafoam. (188,000 miles, boosted at 7 PSI)
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #86
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
^ you forgot to add the word "CAN" infront of all of those.

i've used seafoam. my cat still works and my plugs are spotless. haven't replaced either.

i wouldn't recommend using it all the time, but once every few years maybe.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #87
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
I tested the GM Top Engine Cleaner against other carb sprays on pistons and its a totally different reaction than the carb sprays and cleaners. You can see it breaking down the carbon at room temp. We have the procedure on the 60V6 site but it involves a whole can, a small vacuum line (FPR, MAP, not brake booster, PCV, etc as those are way too big). You throttle it till the can is about done and then let off the throttle so it stalls. let it sit 10 minutes and then crank it over till it idles. Then drive around like a fogger and at various throttle till it runs normal.

EGR will pollute the intake system, regardless of how well its tuned or runs (unless you turn off the EGR).

I don't know about running it in the oil though, as regular maintenance keeps that taken care of as long as you keep a vacuum source on your crankcase (PCV).
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #88
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
^^ so you're saying use the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line?

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #89
spinalator
GX Member

spinalator is on a distinguished road
These old threads are kewl. I used this on my old Yamaha motorcycle in the carbs and crankcase, but have not used it in the Alero.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #90
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Just bought a can today, Pulled what I think is the PCV hose off my CAI and poured it down into the hose, so then the hose sucked it into the intake.

Idled a bit rough. but I swear I ended up just pouring alot of it all over the ground.

Was I supposed to suck it into the part that goes to the intake? or the part that goes to a destination I cannot see?

I got a little bit of white smoke, Nothing big though.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #91
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadus101 View Post
Just bought a can today, Pulled what I think is the PCV hose off my CAI and poured it down into the hose, so then the hose sucked it into the intake.

Idled a bit rough. but I swear I ended up just pouring alot of it all over the ground.

Was I supposed to suck it into the part that goes to the intake? or the part that goes to a destination I cannot see?

I got a little bit of white smoke, Nothing big though.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #92
Midgear
on vacation

im going to make a video of this.. even though my car doesnt even need a can- for the sake of everyone here. expect a clip either today or tomorrow.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #93
leroyalero
GX Member

leroyalero is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm not tryin to be a know it all here, but if you dont know how to use the stuff, dont use it. you will hydro-lock the engine if you suck too much into the intake. seafoam is great stuff and it is well worth the money, but if you dont know where or what your pcv valve is, you shouldnt try this yourself. ive been a ase certified mechanic for 7 years, and i have seen a lot of people do a lot of damage tryin to be weekend mechanics.
leroyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #94
spinalator
GX Member

spinalator is on a distinguished road
Leroy, you can not come onto a site with "mod" in the title and not expect people to be wrenching on their cars and wrecking shit. It makes more work for you and your people, so bask in our incompetence.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #95
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
forgive if im grave diggin threads but wtf is seafoam
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #96
Midgear
on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
forgive if im grave diggin threads but wtf is seafoam

go to auto zone and look around.. its a white can that looks old fashion and in a red box with white letters it says "SeaFoam" on it.. in really old fashion font.

5 - 8 bucks per can.. you stuff it into your intake (the liquid in the can.. not the can itself.. I had to make this clear, you never know) and let the car stall.. let it sit (have a smoke, throw a hot pocket in the microwave, go smack one of your friends for absolutely no reason) and go back and start the car after about 5 - 10 minutes.. and then choke.

"lol why choke" .. because depending on how filthy the innards of your engine are.. that's how much it smokes.. so-

lots of smoke = filthy engine

hardly any smoke = clean engine

this will not cause damage to your car.. unless you have spark plugs that are in need of changing.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #97
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
go to auto zone and look around.. its a white can that looks old fashion and in a red box with white letters it says "SeaFoam" on it.. in really old fashion font.

5 - 8 bucks per can.. you stuff it into your intake (the liquid in the can.. not the can itself.. I had to make this clear, you never know) and let the car stall.. let it sit (have a smoke, throw a hot pocket in the microwave, go smack one of your friends for absolutely no reason) and go back and start the car after about 5 - 10 minutes.. and then choke.

"lol why choke" .. because depending on how filthy the innards of your engine are.. that's how much it smokes.. so-

lots of smoke = filthy engine

hardly any smoke = clean engine

this will not cause damage to your car.. unless you have spark plugs that are in need of changing.
so.... i should do it then? have you ever done it?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #98
Midgear
on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
so.... i should do it then? have you ever done it?

I've done it several times.. as a matter of fact I've probly wasted around 50 bucks on seafoam just to have something to do.. no effect at all.

and what I dont use, my cousin puts it in his cars.. and they smoke like crazy. looks like a damn house is burning down lol

Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #99
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
considering it, but like what is the stuff, is it an enhancer?
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #100
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
its suppsed to burn up all the carbon deposits in your engine, it cleans the inside
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote