Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
Please refer to this article for a complete guide to rim size, tire size and bolt pattern info...

Here is additional information you might find useful.
Okay, factory lug size is 5 x 115mm. You can also use 5 x 114.3mm or 5 x 4.5" (same thing). Though some have mentioned vibration problems with the 114.3mm rims and many others have had no problems what so ever. If you use 114.3mm rims you should also get hubcentric rings to fit them on with and check you lug nut torque a little more often.

What are hubcentric rings???

Quote:
Originally posted by "mfuller"

Hub-centric and lug-centric are two completely different things, yet they are both important to proper wheel fit.

Hub-centric means the centerbore (the large hole in the middle of the wheel) is machined to precisely fit on the hub of the vehicle. Now, since it'd be expensive to precisely machine the centerbore of every wheel to fit every car, manufacturers usually provide 1 or 2 centerbore sizes and rely on hub-centric rings to "shim" the certerbore around the hub for a snug fit. Why is this so important? The hub is meant to bear the stress of vehicle mass, not the lugs!

Lugs and lug nuts (or lug bolts on vehicles with threaded hubs) are designed for one thing - to hold the wheel onto the hub. That's it. Lug-centric means the lug holes in the wheel precisely match up to the lugs (or threaded lug holes) on the hub. If they are even the slightest bit off, it becomes difficult to maintain equal tightness on each lug, because when you torque a lug nut (or bolt), the torque center (not sure if that's the correct term, but anyone who has engineering knowledge knows what I'm referring to) is not precisely on the center of the lug - this is why it is so vital to check lug nuts for tightness on wheels without the proper bolt pattern. If you can't get equal clamping force on all the lugs, the possibilty for lug or lug nut failure is much greater.

Having a hub-centric wheel (or a wheel with hub-centric rings) is more important than a lug-centric wheel, but personally I wouldn't take one without the other, especially on the racetrack.

Just my two cents.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote