Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
TV suggestions

im in the market for a new tv, 60" to 70" i have been reading about all 3 types plasma, lcd and led, led seems to have the best picture but has blurring problems during sports, i cant afford a 240 or 600hz tv yet, i have about 2000 to spend, lcd seems to be good quality picture and little to no blur, and plasma has no blur and great picture but i have issues with plasma tvs dying within a couple years? any advice? im looking at sharp led and lcd and panasonic plasma.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
LCD

IIRC, plasmas last somewhere around 11.5 years if left on 24/7/365... both my parents' and grandma's plasma TVs are doing just fine from 3-4 years ago.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC the biggest problem with plasmas is that an image can fairly easily get burnt into the screen say if you pause a movie to go do something real quick
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Fuzzyspudkiss is on a distinguished road
Do not get your TV at Wal-Mart....you may get lucky or you may not. Wal-mart forces electronic suppliers to give them electronics at lower prices. To make a profit the suppliers have to put cheaper made components in place of better ones so they can sell their product at Wal-Mart. Even big brand name companies do it, if you look at the model number, it will be different than the one listed on the website (it will have an identifier like WM, N, or A, this letter differs per company, at the beginning or end of the model number).

Thats why I never buy anything electronic worth more than 200 dollars at walmart...

As far as Plasma TVs go, they have come up in quality a lot since the early 2000s and will last a lot longer from what I hear.

I have an 32" Samsung LCD and its lasted me over 2 years so far and the picture quality is really good.

Also don't be fooled by the sales people saying that 1080p is so much better than 720p. There is a difference...but to the human eye, few can tell without being told. The main stats you want to look at is hertz and of course the back light type.

And finally, if they try to sell you an HDMI cable, dont let them convince you that a gold plated one is better than a regular one...HDMI cables either work or the dont, thats the beauty of Digital. So if you by the cheap HDMI cable it will have just as good a picture as a $60. The only time that you need the more expensive kind is if you are burying it, running it over 25 ft, or running it through walls.

If you want an HDMI cable this is the site where I got mine, works great and much cheaper than any retail store.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...d=hdmi&x=0&y=0
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
good quality tvs i would look at samsung ot LG. i have an LG 37' 1080p i think 120hz. had it for 1.5 years and its been great.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Rexter9x
V.I.P. Member

Rexter9x is on a distinguished road
I recently picked up the Sharp 60le632 and have been extremely happy with it, especially for the price.
Rexter9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
good quality tvs i would look at samsung ot LG. i have an LG 37' 1080p i think 120hz. had it for 1.5 years and its been great.

Damn, you copying from me

I bought my LG back in March 2010 at Sears becasue they had a sale "Spend $999 and up and get 0% APR for 12 months" So I spent $700 on the TV and $300 on my PS3, add in a remote control for the PS3, and an extra controler and 2 games, and it came of to $1142.

Anyway, I bought an LG 37 inch, LCD, 1080i, 120 hz and it's pretty cool. IMHO the LG had the best picture. I was going to buy the LG 42 inch LED at best Buy for $1200. They had the same sale, but at Best Buy, TV's and video games are two different departments and I couldn't get the APR deal on the PS3 too. Sears, everything is "electronics"

And before anybody asks, yes it's all paid for and was paid 2 months ahead of time

Anyway, IMO, LED is a nicer TV than LCD. It's a much brighter picture. Don't buy a 60hz. You're better off throwing your money in the street. 60hz blurs a lot of the action. If I were to buy today, I'd probably get a 240 hz, 1080i, LED. I'd go bigger too. I bought 37 because that is what's best for my viewing area. I probably could have gotten the 42, but that would have been the MAX. When I move into a house, I'll keep the 37 for a while, then buy something bigger for the living room and put the 37 in my bedroom

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by Redog : 02-22-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
hahaha, i paid 500$ for mine off amazon. and its LCD forgot to mention.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 50 inch panasonic plasma bought from Sears....great TV

I have a 51 inch samsung plasma bought from Dell......great TV

I have a 42 inch Vizio plasma bought from Walmart 3yrs ago (LG internals)....great TV

moral of the story is...it doesn't matter where you get it from as long as to take steps to ensure it will last...I have never had an image burnt in either one of my screens....that may be due to the fact that I break each of them in for 100hours before turning up the displays, and I run an image cleaner once a week for 15 minutes.

I shyed away from LCDs for a TV because of the potential for dead pixels...which there is no fix for aside from getting a new TV.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyspudkiss View Post
Also don't be fooled by the sales people saying that 1080p is so much better than 720p. There is a difference...but to the human eye, few can tell without being told. The main stats you want to look at is hertz and of course the back light type.

And finally, if they try to sell you an HDMI cable, dont let them convince you that a gold plated one is better than a regular one...HDMI cables either work or the dont, thats the beauty of Digital. So if you by the cheap HDMI cable it will have just as good a picture as a $60. The only time that you need the more expensive kind is if you are burying it, running it over 25 ft, or running it through walls.

If you want an HDMI cable this is the site where I got mine, works great and much cheaper than any retail store.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...d=hdmi&x=0&y=0

I gotta call BS on the first part. Its very easy to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on the size TV he is talking about getting. Hz is where the eye has a hard time distinguishing, 120hz is fine for most people.

Also, don't puss out on not getting a smart TV UNLESS you have an internet connected bluray. I have smart TVs/blurays in every room of my house and a hard drive linked at my wireless router with all my movies and mp3s ripped to it so I can watch any movie or listen to any song from any device in my house with the push of a button. Plus unless your a TV whore, you can actually cut out cable, up your internet connection, add hulu plus and Netflix and save some coin
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt24 View Post
I gotta call BS on the first part. Its very easy to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on the size TV he is talking about getting. Hz is where the eye has a hard time distinguishing, 120hz is fine for most people.

I gotta agree with my buddy...... WTF are you talking about....1080P is a HUGE difference from 720. If you have decent vision you can tell....the clarity is so much better.

You CAN'T go wrong with a Samsung. I bought my 42in LCD LED tv about 2 and a half years ago and it still looks just as good. No problems with it whatsoever. My aunt and uncle have a 60+ in Vizio and it def doesn't look as good as mine. Also, if you can get a 240hz...DO IT....
Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Get one that is WIFI ready:
http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/feb/2...-s-ar-3267256/
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post

"Officials say they would actually need to see the image that was on the TVs to determine if any state or local laws were violated."

Classic.....lmao!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
Stain
GX Member

Stain is on a distinguished road
My house is full of Vizios and I love them

Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Yea, I have a higher end 32" Samsung LCD I bought about 3 years ago, and still works perfectly. I highly recommend Samsung TVs. The auto-motion with the 1080p makes for an astounding picture. I can't begin to imagine what's available now-a-days

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Fuzzyspudkiss is on a distinguished road
http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

"If you're just making the leap to HDTV and find the higher end sets out of your price range, you shouldn't feel bad about going with an entry-level 720p model (just getting HD programming is going to make a huge difference). Also, in a lot of cases, folks are looking at 720p TVs as second sets for bedrooms or playrooms, and in a tough economy, a few hundred bucks makes a big difference. Personally, if I were choosing between the 720p 50-inch Panasonic TC-P50X1 and the 1080p Panasonic TC-P50S1 for a bedroom, I'd strongly consider going with the cheaper model if it meant saving $600-$700. That savings is enough to buy another 32-inch LCD for another room.

If you're thinking of going big, really big (a 55-inch or larger screen), or you like to sit really close (closer than 1.5 times the diagonal measurement), the extra resolution may make it worth the difference--as long as you have a pristine, 1080i or 1080p HD source to feed into the set. (To be clear, there are few 720p sets available in large sizes anymore, though a few older models may be kicking around at good discounts).

Finally, it's a good idea to go with 1080p instead of 720p if you plan to use your TV a lot as a big computer monitor. That said, if you set your computer to output at 1,920x1,080, you may find that the icons and text on the screen are too small to view from far away (as a result, you may end up zooming the desktop or even changing to a lower resolution). But a 1080p set does give you some added flexibility (and sharpness) when it comes to computer connectivity.

If none of those factors jump out at you as true priorities--and you're working on a tight budget and want to save some dough--a 720p set is going to do you just fine. HD will still look great on your set, I swear."

I guess it just really depends on the size TV you are getting. I read the article he's talking about back in 2006, where I guess 1080p wasn't great 1080p.

Edit: Also I reread the OP and since he is getting a 60-70 inch tv, I agree that 1080p would be better.

Also the reason I posted that article was not to be an ass, I just wanted to show you that I wasn't just pulling this info out of my ass...lol

Last edited by Fuzzyspudkiss : 02-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Fuzzyspudkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Don't get Plasma... Uses a ton of electricity and runs hot... LED is only good if it is OLED as far as picture quality goes. The only REAL benefit to LED backlit tv's is power consumption and a thinner, lighter tv. You really don't need a 600 Hz tv.... Not even a 240 Hz tv... The most a tv station is going to put out is 120 Hz, but not typically. They mostly run at 60 Hz (the same frequency American electricity runs at).

My tv is a 42" LCD, and it looks fantastic in HD (full 1080p quality).
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Now, I bought Plasma and am in love with it. Friends that come over are blown away on how nice it really is. Plasma gives the whitest whites and the blackest blacks. Cant beat it imo.... thats me though. In the tv world today everyone is different. You are going to have to just go and sit in front of a few and pick your poision! Mines Samsung by the way
Old 02-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #19
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Samsung Ftw!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
Now, I bought Plasma and am in love with it. Friends that come over are blown away on how nice it really is. Plasma gives the whitest whites and the blackest blacks. Cant beat it imo.... thats me though. In the tv world today everyone is different. You are going to have to just go and sit in front of a few and pick your poision! Mines Samsung by the way

I do give you that on plasmas... but you can also see each pixel block, which I HATE...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote