Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 06-08-2016, 05:48 AM   #1
Koots
GX Member

Koots is on a distinguished road
Impala/Grand Prix Strut Tower Bars?

Anyone ever try installing these on their car?

They are just 2 bolts on each end that you have to drill out for the original cars anyway, so I don't see why it wouldn't work other than it might be a bit longer than necessary.

I was thinking of making plates to help distribute the load better, but might just try the standard way with the front and rear bars.

Also, anyone ever try installing the bars they have that run from the strut towers to the core support on our cars? I don't see them doing much on their own, but if our core support is an integral chassis structure it might help "triangulate" the front chassis a little better.

I'm just throwing out ideas. I'm finally getting around to working on this thing now that the snow is all gone and am looking back into stiffening this chassis up. I've got a stick welder, so I might just try experimenting with scrap metal first.
Koots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Bahlzeron is on a distinguished road
STB's aren't hard to put on. After putting mine on I questioned why cars don't come with them stock. Look on Ebay, should be able to pick some up cheap, unless making them yourself is half the point of doing them.
Bahlzeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
If youre going to buy, why not buy the correct part?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #4
Koots
GX Member

I was talking about these kind from the W-Bodies originally:

Front and Rear, just have two bolt holes needed to be drilled on either side (even for the W-bodies they were made for) so length shouldn't be as much of an issue.

And these that run from the strut tower to core support:

I can find them for basically nothing around here and was just wondering if anyone tried them out. I was also just running on a tangent about welding my own up, but once I get a set of these, I might just reinforce them for extra strength, but they may work alright on their own.

I've used some of the eBay brands before on a Civic and didn't feel a big difference, then got a good deal on a DC Sports triangulated one for the front and felt an immediate difference compared to the old cheap Autogrimming bars I was using (I had upper and lower braces for front and rear).

So I'm not going to go that route quite yet, unless these W-Body bars prove to be pretty weak themselves.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Koots
GX Member

So the core support bars will not work, the engine doesn't sit low enough and the way the strut towers are positioned wouldn't allow a straight shot anyway. Fabricating my own triangulating bars in the engine bay will have to be done.