Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 10-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #41
radomirthegreat
GX Member

radomirthegreat is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to radomirthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to radomirthegreat Send a message via Skype™ to radomirthegreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
I like the way this guy thinks......lol

Also, torque: 155 versus 210 ft-lb. The LD9 has far less torque than the LA1, so you're missing out there as well. My thoughts on the DOHC and 16 valves versus a pushrod engine with 12 valves is that the 4-cylinder needs all that just to keep up. A pushrod 4-banger is just hideous, and yet the V6 pushrods beat the 4-cyl DOHC engines right out of the gate.

By the way, has anyone done an L67 (Series 2 3800) swap into an Alero? With 240 hp and 280 ft-lb of torque with a stock air box, stock supercharger pulley, stock everything, it's king! Plus, it's easy to mod and work on in general, has a huge supply of aftermarket parts, and it's readily available. I'm working on my 99 Bonneville's L36 right now. It has headers, about to get a cam and heads, almost there with a Gen V M90 (Series III 3800's more efficient supercharger), and lots of tuning. I'm expecting about 400 hp at the crank before intercooling. These light Aleros are so much easier to build transmissions for than Bonnevilles. If I keep the Alero around, I may try it.

Dodge Neon ignition coil, S-10 plug wires, modified intake, K&N drop-in air filter, and a Magnaflow cat
radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:38 AM   #42
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
this has been done, guiguiladry has a L67 s/c'd swap and also a s/c'd LD9
Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #43
radomirthegreat
GX Member

Send a message via AIM to radomirthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to radomirthegreat Send a message via Skype™ to radomirthegreat
That's awesome! I'm so happy right now!

Dodge Neon ignition coil, S-10 plug wires, modified intake, K&N drop-in air filter, and a Magnaflow cat
Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #44
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
oooh....and its a 5-speed lol

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
Old 10-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #45
radomirthegreat
GX Member

I had already found him, read about it, and sent him a Cardomain friend request. I love L67s!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #46
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
De repped for that post, L67s are crap. You would be much better off sticking with building the LA1 before swapping in an L67
Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #47
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
Why would you get a V6 if gas mileage is an issue? Obviously in most cases a 4 cylinder will have a better gas mileage compared to a 6 cylinder. The LA1 has performance over the LD9. You either pick performance or gas mileage.

Car was given to me.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #48
radomirthegreat
GX Member

No way I'm losing rep over L67s! The L67 is an awesome engine that lasts pretty much forever. As good as the LA1 may seem, it from the factory makes the power of a 4-cylinder with the gas mileage of a V8. Plus, working on it is hideous. The L67 is so straightforward.

I can see where you're coming from liking the LA1 so much, but the L67 was my first engine that I worked on and started building up, and I really like it.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #49
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
ya i should have gotten an ld9 for my second alero but it got the la1 but i have to live with what i bought. I also think the L67 is a lot better.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #50
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by radomirthegreat View Post
No way I'm losing rep over L67s! The L67 is an awesome engine that lasts pretty much forever. As good as the LA1 may seem, it from the factory makes the power of a 4-cylinder with the gas mileage of a V8. Plus, working on it is hideous. The L67 is so straightforward.

I can see where you're coming from liking the LA1 so much, but the L67 was my first engine that I worked on and started building up, and I really like it.

I don't know any v8 that gets 25mpg, and for the power it makes in its day I would say it was one of the faster cars from the factory v6.

plus you said it yourself.....

Quote:
Also, the 3400 has splayed valves for intake/exhaust. This lets the intake and exhaust air flow have a clearer path straight at the valves so that flow is increased. This actually gives you more power, and airflow increasing mods like a cam or rockers get you much better results than what you'd have with straight ports. Straight ports like the ones on an LD9, 350, 3800, etc. don't let the air as efficiently flow at the valves and into/out of the combustion chambers.

Otherwise, the 3400 is a solid engine that's generally easy to mod and is more powerful out of the gate.

Not to mention that you throw one of the M62 kits on a stock LA1 and it makes way more power than a stock l67.

Last edited by kwhauck : 10-22-2010 at 05:50 PM.
kwhauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #51
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2010_Chevrolet_Corvette.shtml

Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #52
kwhauck
2Screwy

very well then.......i don't care......
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #53
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
very well then.......i don't care......

don't be a baby.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #54
radomirthegreat
GX Member

Wait, wait, no. The LA1 has the advantage of better flowing cylinder heads. Imagine what this 170 hp V6 as it is now would be like with worse heads, like the 3800 or 350 stockers - 160 hp or even less!

M62 kit for an LA1? Why? The M62 is like four heat guns. Throw on an M90, M112, a Kenne Bell, a turbocharger, or a CSC, and I'll love it.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #55
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
Wait, wait, no. The LA1 has the advantage of better flowing cylinder heads. Imagine what this 170 hp V6 as it is now would be like with worse heads, like the 3800 or 350 stockers - 160 hp or even less!

M62 kit for an LA1? Why? The M62 is like four heat guns. Throw on an M90, M112, a Kenne Bell, a turbocharger, or a CSC, and I'll love it.

Turbo is definitely the best option, you can get a small turbo to spool just as fast as a supercharger, and it's probably cheaper to do too.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #56
kwhauck
2Screwy

as far as I know, no turbo makes instand boost like a supercharger does, but i don't want to get into another turbo vs. supercharger arguement, there are so many variables.

Radomir, I'll stick with my whipple over a shitty m90.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #57
radomirthegreat
GX Member

Kw, I'm not really informed about what you've got under your hood. Is there really a Whipple? (I group it with Kenne Bell, but I know they're two different companies.)

I couldn't agree more that we shouldn't debate superchargers versus turbochargers, but one thing I feel like I need to bring up is the absolute need never to use M62 superchargers. The 91-95 L67s used M62 superchargers and made 215 horsepower, which isn't way more power than an L67, in this case a Series II one with 240 hp out of the box.

Also, the splayed valves thing, they're a benefit to people looking to mod their engines to get more power out of each mod than they would doing the same or similar mods on other engines. It's not supposed to indicate the superiority of the engine or its potential to be much more awesome than an engine with straight-across valve setups.

I hope so far that I've clarified not to use M62 superchargers on anything and also to like the LA1 if you have it but not to dismiss the 3800 as an awesome and beautiful engine. Beautiful, yes.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #58
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
my pics aren't up to date on my cardomain page.... new engine bay is way cleaner and nicer than that now... even if it is still not finished completely

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/

Last edited by guiguilandry : 11-17-2010 at 08:32 PM.
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #59
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Kw, I'm not really informed about what you've got under your hood. Is there really a Whipple? (I group it with Kenne Bell, but I know they're two different companies.)

I couldn't agree more that we shouldn't debate superchargers versus turbochargers, but one thing I feel like I need to bring up is the absolute need never to use M62 superchargers. The 91-95 L67s used M62 superchargers and made 215 horsepower, which isn't way more power than an L67, in this case a Series II one with 240 hp out of the box.

Also, the splayed valves thing, they're a benefit to people looking to mod their engines to get more power out of each mod than they would doing the same or similar mods on other engines. It's not supposed to indicate the superiority of the engine or its potential to be much more awesome than an engine with straight-across valve setups.

I hope so far that I've clarified not to use M62 superchargers on anything and also to like the LA1 if you have it but not to dismiss the 3800 as an awesome and beautiful engine. Beautiful, yes.

91-95 m62s are probably a gen 2 or 3 charger? The rare kits that are available for our car mostly use a gen 4 charger. My setup with minimal mods made 281whp. Others have gone over 300 with minimal head work. However even with the intercooler the charger is getting overspun at 15psi.

Sadly the whipple is not installed. I have been working on a parts pile for 4 years. The pile seems to get bigger, but then so does the list. I really have almost all the parts i need for my built motor, but I am concentrating on finishing the built 5 speed swap, and then I can work on fabrication of the custom intake manifold for the whipple.

And I don't hate l67s, Gtp's were always fun to pick on with my old setup...lol
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #60
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
as far as I know, no turbo makes instand boost like a supercharger does, but i don't want to get into another turbo vs. supercharger arguement, there are so many variables.

Radomir, I'll stick with my whipple over a shitty m90.

Sorry for the misconception, I didn't mean instant, I meant fast spool, if you want to do a supercharger more power to ya(pun not intended).
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote