Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #21
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFire316 View Post
twin cam pushrod...is there such an engine?

I think MG has a few twin cam pushrod engines.. pretty sure ford has one, and a couple years ago GM was talking about engineering one..
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_05.html
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
regardless of transmission issues it should not go above the rev limiter.....
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #23
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
way to be a douche bag...
it's pretty clear he's having trans problems under WOT
he obviously has done some research if he knows about secret cams...
it's forced induction not forged...wtf is wrong with you?
and he knew it was dual cams...he didn't know if it was OHC which for us is basic but he's new cut him some effing slack you were a noob yourself once...

/rant

edit: and to answer one of the OP's questions, 10 secs 0-60 is pretty normal for stock, i was seeing like 9.8 with my LD9 IIRC

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #24
the_weber
GL Member

the_weber is on a distinguished road
Thank you to the guys who told the douchebag off. Back to the problem at hand. It was doing it before the service. Fluid is good. How would I check the solenoid? How hard would it be to replace? Where is it at?

Also as to my other questions, like headers, cams, etc any answers?

Thanks again for those trying to help me out.
the_weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #25
the_weber
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
Redog theres a reason no one else important has jumped in on this thread. This thread is useless.

1. There's no reason to be hitting 7000rpm.
2. You haven't done jack sh!t in research obviously
3. You don't have the money to do forged induction but u have the money to replace ur trans?
4. What don't you get about TWIN cam? Twin means 2. Yes its a "D"OHC (DUAL = 2)

1. Thats what Im saying? Im trying to figure why it is hitting 7000 RPM and not shifting.
2. You should have seen the list of questions I had before I posted this.
3. Replacement transmission would cost me about 1000 for a brand new one or 600 for one with 30k miles. I would do my own work and pull it out myself. So yes being that FORCED (not forged) induction runs over 2 grand and transmission would cost roughly $800 I think i can afford to replace the tranny but not do forced induction.
4. I new it was twin. I wasnt sure if it was OHC.
5. Your an a55hole.

Have I made myself clear to you?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #26
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
headers for the v6 are supposed to be a sure 15+ hp... i have a v6 but im not sure on your car, im sure its pretty much the same gain.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #27
the_weber
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
regardless of transmission issues it should not go above the rev limiter.....

ok so why is it?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #28
BoarderTy
GL Member

BoarderTy is on a distinguished road
My 2.4L goes to about 6500 i believe and then shifts but thats only if i pin 'er and its a harder then normal shift.
BoarderTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #29
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weber View Post
no. no rev limiter. nothing. If I don't let off the gas it will hit red-line and keep going. I'm not sure where it stops because I always stop it at 5000. Shifts kind of hard.

I have the same car, essentially. 2000 2.4, and when I get on it, it goes down into red line, almost to the max (about halfway into red-line) and then shifts. From what I understand, these twin cam engines get most of their power at high RPM. If I remember correctly I remember reading a bulletin from GM in some down time at work. It was a customer complaint bulletin dated in like 2001; customers complaining that when merging onto a highway, or otherwise going WOT, the vehicle would red-line, and that this was normal opperation of vehicles equipped with the 2.4.

FQuick - updated all the time
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #30
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
That makes sense, smaller engines generally do well at high RPMs, and bigger engines tend to blow to pieces above 6k (I'm talking about stock, my v8 Dodge redlined at about 4800)

edit: Also think motorcycles, some of the sport bikes out there do 15k RPMs stock.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #31
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
That was the old day V8s, newer ones like to rev also, Corvette for example redlines at 7K stock, and thats the LS7 engine, and the Cobras rev to 7.5K stock.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #32
the_weber
GL Member

So it is perfectly normal for me to be doing like 40 MPH the RPMs being at about 7000 and it doesnt shift until I let it drop down?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #33
BoarderTy
GL Member

BoarderTy is on a distinguished road
Depends on if your cruising at 40 or just like hitting 40 while on your way to a higher speed. for instance from a stop if i just hit the gas it will redline at 6500 then shift and thats at about 45
BoarderTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #34
the_weber
GL Member

Ok. So normalish. Well I guess I will just ride it out until my transmission dies or maybe I will get lucky and it's nothing.

So making this car faster. 150 HP isnt bad for a bone stock 2.4L but I want faster. 200 HP non boosted doable? if so how?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #35
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
200HP without boost is not likely... Better intake flow will help some. Pacesetter makes a nice exhaust header that will help a lot, you'll need to change to a heated O2 sensor for it to work properly. With the header you will want to upgrade the entire exhaust system also, high-flow cat and larger pipe at least.

Running boosted you can reach 400HP but it will cost a fair bit. Simplest would be to use one of the GM supercharger setups. Turbo will require a fair bit of custom fabrication. Might I suggest quad4forums as a place with answers to your questions, most people around here think the V6 is better...

Sounds like your trans is getting near the end of its life, worn clutches. Plan to swap it. If you are serious about increasing HP it would be wise to look at getting a high-performance rebuild done on the trans, it doesn't take long to blow an older trans when putting more horses into it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #36
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
200 wouldnt be that hard with some itb's with step off injectors, insane cams, and headwork, some titanium valves springs and retainers, some equal length headers, balanced to 10k rpms, cryo dripped internals yaaa boii

Or you can get a supercharger
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #37
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
headers for the v6 are supposed to be a sure 15+ hp... i have a v6 but im not sure on your car, im sure its pretty much the same gain.

Most header companies that make headers for the 3400 Alero boast a 20 hp gain at the wheels. Crank HP on the V6 Alero is 170, wheel HP is about 134 (figuring on a 20% driveline loss) so it's roughly a 15% hp gain (14.9% to be exact)

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote