Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
flooritnfly
GX Member

flooritnfly is on a distinguished road
Question How do you program remote transmitter for '99 Alero?

I got mad last night and launched my keys across the room like an idiot, now my remote transmitter for my 1999 Alero does not work. I take pictures of cars for a living and was able to get a new remote transmitter that is for GM and looks identical to my original. I am wondering how do I program it to get it to work? If that is not possible how do I get my old one working again?

I have tried a few methods I found thru Google but they are not working...

Thanks!
flooritnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i think you have to go to a dealer... but i could be wrong.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
flooritnfly
GX Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
i think you have to go to a dealer... but i could be wrong.

Yeah besides the couple methods I've tried, it says to have a "Tech II" diagnostic tool? What is that? Is that the gizmo that plugs in underneath your steering wheel to read error codes and what not? If so, do you think AutoZone could do it cause I know they have them.....
Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you try this one?

Transmitter Programming

Important
Once the remote control door lock receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode, the programming of the first transmitter erases all previous transmitter programming information. You must then program all of the transmitters.

Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry programming/diagnostic mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

Up to 4 transmitters may be programmed.

Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 1 - No Tools Required)
To program the transmitters, perform the following procedure while seated in the vehicle driver's seat:

Close all the vehicle doors.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold unlock on the door lock switch.

Important
To successfully enter the keyless entry programming/diagnostic mode, steps 4 through 6 must be completed within 25 seconds of pressing the door unlock switch.

While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, insert and remove the ignition key twice. Do not rotate the ignition lock cylinder.
Insert the ignition key a third time leaving the key in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure.
Release the door lock switch. The chime will sound three chimes to signal that transmitter programming/diagnostic mode is active.
Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for approximately 4 seconds. The chime will sound two times to signal that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.
Repeat step 7 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitters).
To exit the transmitter programming/diagnostic mode perform either of the following:
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by flooritnfly View Post
Yeah besides the couple methods I've tried, it says to have a "Tech II" diagnostic tool? What is that? Is that the gizmo that plugs in underneath your steering wheel to read error codes and what not? If so, do you think AutoZone could do it cause I know they have them.....

never heard of tech II. but yeah a diagnostic tool is a scanner that reads your servince engine codes when there is a problem. autozone has them, and they do free scans if you have a service light on. never heard that it can program a key though..

sorry im not much of a help. :/ lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Tech II is a diag tool used mostly by the dealer mechanics. Code readers cannot do this. But, the above I think should work for you if done right.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

nice mmgt!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
tech iis are pretty awsome. But expensive. Around 5k. When i do house calls for my boss sometimes i get nervous having it in my car... Worth a lot more then my car ever will. But u can do a lot with them such as commanding things on and off (like lights, locks, fuel pump, evap purge and vent valves). also they can talk to all the modules in the car such as abs, pcm\bcm, sir, rcdlr (which is where u would program keyfobs). Amazing tools but also quite old. Been around since 94 atleast.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
flooritnfly
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
Did you try this one?

Transmitter Programming

Important
Once the remote control door lock receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode, the programming of the first transmitter erases all previous transmitter programming information. You must then program all of the transmitters.

Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry programming/diagnostic mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

Up to 4 transmitters may be programmed.

Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 1 - No Tools Required)
To program the transmitters, perform the following procedure while seated in the vehicle driver's seat:

Close all the vehicle doors.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold unlock on the door lock switch.

Important
To successfully enter the keyless entry programming/diagnostic mode, steps 4 through 6 must be completed within 25 seconds of pressing the door unlock switch.

While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, insert and remove the ignition key twice. Do not rotate the ignition lock cylinder.
Insert the ignition key a third time leaving the key in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure.
Release the door lock switch. The chime will sound three chimes to signal that transmitter programming/diagnostic mode is active.
Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for approximately 4 seconds. The chime will sound two times to signal that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.
Repeat step 7 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitters).
To exit the transmitter programming/diagnostic mode perform either of the following:
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.

Yes I tried this before at least twice, never heard any "chimes" of any sort so I thought either this doesn't work for my vehicle or something else is amiss? I can try this again tomorrow....
Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
MMGT1
GLS member

Yours being a 99 it is quite possible it is Tech II only though man, but this is the no tools method for our platform if its available
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
this is what i got from SI:

Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming
A remote door lock receiver may have up to 4 different transmitters programmed. You may program a transmitter to more than 1 vehicle providing the remote keyless entry systems are similar. When reprogramming 1 transmitter, reprogram any and all other transmitters (maximum of 4 total per receiver) at the same time in order for the other transmitters to work.

Important: Leave a window down in the vehicle while reprogramming the remote control door lock receiver system. This procedure will avoid an unintentional lock out if the reprogramming is not performed properly.
1. Turn off the ignition.
2. Utilize a Tech 2 to program the remote door lock receiver.
3. Enter diagnostics (F0).
4. Enter body (F1); select the year (X) and body style (N).
5. Select “Remote Function Actuation” (F3).
6. Select “Special Functions” (F2).
7. Select “Program Transmitters” (F0).
8. Select the number of transmitters to program (1–4)
9. Follow the on-screen instructions; press continue, wait for the locks to cycle, hold the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 15–30 seconds, the locks will cycle again.
10. Exit the vehicle. Attempt to lock/unlock the doors to verify the programming.
11. Perform the following steps if the above procedure does not program the transmitter.
11.1 Reconnect the Tech 2.
11.2 Enter service programming (F1).
11.3 Press the “REQUEST INFO” key.
11.4 Select “Reprogram Existing Module”
11.5 Exit the vehicle and remove the Tech 2.
11.6 Follow the existing procedure to reflash the body control module.

sounds like a dealer job man. make sure your key fob battery hasnt just come loose. sometimes the terminal in there brakes off the board and can be soldered back on.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
MMGT1
GLS member

We atually solder them free of charge. There is also a repair insert available that actually works for 23 bucks! Hell of a lot better than full pop for a new one if thats the issue
Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

unfortunitly our managers dont care and we just sell them a new fob..
Old 02-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flooritnfly View Post
Yes I tried this before at least twice, never heard any "chimes" of any sort so I thought either this doesn't work for my vehicle or something else is amiss? I can try this again tomorrow....

Now something to consider... You wont hear any chimes if you have an aftermarket radio without the chimes kit. I took my car to a dealer to get a fob programmed to it and the couldnt do it either. All they told me was "we cant get the car to go in to programming mode" So I was like wtf? and they were like "that will be $80 by the way". I was pissed.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbar71 View Post
Now something to consider... You wont hear any chimes if you have an aftermarket radio without the chimes kit.

not an issue for the 99s and i think even most of the newer ones too.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post

Yes it is an issue. I have an 02 and i dont have chimes after i got the first head unit installed.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #17
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

i knew it wasnt 99 that needed them but i thought it wasnt untill 03 that u ran into that problem. I stand corrected.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
MMGT1
GLS member

Did a little homework on that programming method and it seems that it will only work on late 00 and up. From 01 up for sure... but re-reading the origional post, open it up and see if the little bracket that holds the battery to the board has dislodged. If it has, just solder it as was mentioned earlier and return the one you got if you can.

Last edited by MMGT1 : 02-26-2012 at 07:08 AM.
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post

Yeah... Mines an 01. Without the chimes kit and with an aftermarket headunit I lost chimes. The chimes are tied in to the stock radio.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I'm inclined to think that either MMGT1 is right or something similar is right and it's probably in the factory service manual. I would have to think that there is a way to reprogram a new FOB if you have the car and the another one that still works. It's when you have no FOB that it should be an expensive dealer fix.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote