Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
wws944
GX Member

wws944 is on a distinguished road
Went over to the PNP yesterday. They had two Aleros - a '99 and a 2004. The '99 had the hood lifts, rather than the stupid prop rod. The latter was a Final 500 that got crunched pretty bad. Both air bags blown. Someone already got to all the Final 500 stuff. No badges, the embroidering in the seat covers was cut out, etc. Engine was gone too. Did still have the chrome tips on the exhaust tho.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Aw Poor final 500. Someone CUT the damn logos out of the seats!? What idiots....i would be taking the whole damn seat or just the covers....lol
Old 11-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
wws944
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Aw Poor final 500. Someone CUT the damn logos out of the seats!? What idiots....i would be taking the whole damn seat or just the covers....lol

I agree with you. Should have removed the entire cover. But then he would have had to pay $6/each (plus tax, etc) for them. There is no charge for 'scrap pieces'.

The PNP is a funny place. I've often seen examples where someone will trash really decent parts to get something that is worthless.

There was a '01 in the yard too. I didn't see any parts on any of the three that I was interested in.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wws944 View Post
By the time I buy it at the PNP, the price (including core charge, taxes, environmental fees, etc - this is California...) works out to nearly $40 for something that has a zillion miles, led a hard life, and is probably on its last legs. If I need to, I would rather buy a new part. OTOH, the $2 admission charge is an easy way to get a little practice on the r+r procedure, and take a good look at the part, before my daughter gets home with the car.

The only thing I'm saying is swap in the motor first to make sure it's the motor at fault. Otherwise ur spending the time to repair wiper motors and it could still end up being a switch
Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #25
the1lyden
GX Member

the1lyden is on a distinguished road
I don't mean to be late on this thread, but just want to confirm that i also have an 03' and occasionally have the same issue. it comes and goes it seems. but i am interested in hearing if you find a solution.
the1lyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
wws944
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1lyden View Post
I don't mean to be late on this thread, but just want to confirm that i also have an 03' and occasionally have the same issue. it comes and goes it seems. but i am interested in hearing if you find a solution.

I didn't get to it over Thanksgiving, but the car is now back in the driveway again. Been rainy here the past week or two, and my daughter reports that there continues to be a problem. So I will be getting into it Real Soon Now.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #27
wws944
GX Member

New AC Delco motor ordered via Amazon. $100.

Should mention that taking the cowl cover off is pretty easy once the wiper arms are removed. To remove the arms, pop off the little rubber caps and unscrew the nuts with a 13mm socket. Then close the hood, lift the wipers up off the windshield, and rock them back and forth a bit. Eventually they will lift off the splined shaft.

Getting the cowl cover back in place is a little trickier. This, of course, is not explained in the Haynes manual. I wrestled with the cover a bit trying to get it to fit under the windshield seal. However, there are tabs on the bottom of the cover which do not want to go into place under the seal. Then I discovered the easy way to do it:

1.) Tie a piece of thin nylon or poly rope to one of the mirrors. Slide the rope under the seal - and across the bottom of the windshield under the seal.

2.) Position the corner of the cowl cover, opposite the side of where the rope was tied to the mirror, under the seal. The splined shafts for the wiper arms should be in their respective holes.

3.) Gently push the cover up under the seal while pulling the rope back across the top of the cover. Worked like a charm!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #28
wws944
GX Member

New motor installed. Crossing fingers that it fixes the problem.

The only special tool needed, apart from common metric wrenches, was a T30 for the two screws holding the motor to its bracket, and a vise for pressing the transmission arms back in place.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #29
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I want to get that wiper arm tool. I have to replace that foam piece under my cowl. Car's been sitting, waiting until Jan 2 for the newer tranny

Never had that issue with my wipers either, I have a 2000.

I agree I would have pulled the entire seats. In fact, I need to get to the yard. If there is a Final 500 there, the seats are coming with me

You probably will have to replace a lot of parts due to it sitting. It's sad though. My mom's neighbor junked her 1987 Grand Am with 30,000 miles on it becasue it didn't run. That was in 2004

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #30
wws944
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
...You probably will have to replace a lot of parts due to it sitting. It's sad though. My mom's neighbor junked her 1987 Grand Am with 30,000 miles on it becasue it didn't run. That was in 2004

We looked it over really good when we pulled it out of storage. A new battery and it started right up! Oil+filter has been changed. (Next change will convert to M-1 synthetic.) Coolant tested ok. Lotsa washing to get all the dust and grime off, but I have a lot more detailing to do.

I should get the tires rebalanced as sometimes there is a hint of a vibe. And I will probably replace the 8 year old tires in the next year or so. Since the car was stored indoors, the tires seem to be ok. But they are definitely getting to their 'replace by' date - just by age.

All things considered it is running very well. It is happy to be driven again.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #31
Qcksilver
V.I.P. Member

Qcksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Qcksilver
Did anyone ever discover the wiper issue? I have a 2000 that has the same issue. Been going on for a while now and it's very annoying. I would love to fix this issue if anyone knows how. Thanks in advance for any help.
Qcksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #32
wws944
GX Member

Quote:
Did anyone ever discover the wiper issue? I have a 2000 that has the same issue. Been going on for a while now and it's very annoying. I would love to fix this issue if anyone knows how.

So far, the new motor seems to be working fine. Just drove from San Jose, Ca to Los Angeles with the wipers on intermittant much of the way, and no problems.

I do want to open up the old motor to see if there is something easily fixable - like a cold solder connection. Have not done it yet. When I do, I will report back on this thread.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #33
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by wws944 View Post

1.) Tie a piece of thin nylon or poly rope to one of the mirrors. Slide the rope under the seal - and across the bottom of the windshield under the seal.

2.) Position the corner of the cowl cover, opposite the side of where the rope was tied to the mirror, under the seal. The splined shafts for the wiper arms should be in their respective holes.

3.) Gently push the cover up under the seal while pulling the rope back across the top of the cover. Worked like a charm!

There is a MUCH easier way to put it back on....hold the cowl at an angle...put the piece that goes under the windshield in first (under windshield), push it in a little and it will fall into place. That easy! lol. No need to tie ropes to mirrors and all that jazz
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #34
wws944
GX Member

For some reason, the cowl didn't go back in that easily in my car. However the "rope trick" only took about minute to do.