Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
wadedog
GX Member

wadedog is on a distinguished road
crankshaft position sensor

I have a code saying a problem with the crankshaft position sensor on my 2000 alero v6.
How hard is this to replace and what are the procedures? any tricks and tips I could use?
wadedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
whats the code??? if you EVER post about a code, make sure to INCLUDE the code, year, make, model, millage, engine, mods! lol otherwise its totaly a guess. maybe some of us have access to info that the everage person doesnt.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
WIALERO
GL Member

WIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to WIALERO
Not hard just some cussing blood sweat and tears job took me an hour and its on the back on the block idr what side of wrench I used but basically you jack up the car please use jack stands and then look up under the back you can see it a little bit I'm a small guy so it was even a tight squeeze for my to get in there to get at her but it is not that hard ( might not sweat since its winter so I'll correct myself by saying you will freeze your as*off unless you have a heated garage or a nice warm shop like me

2004 olds alero R.I.P 242,500
1995 f-150 5.0v8 5sp 143,xxx(redneck truck)
Now searching for a new Ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
He no crazy, he WIALERO!!
WIALERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
wadedog
GX Member

more info

ok the code is P0341

car is all stock, over 100k on the car.
2000 alero,v6,no mods.

is it possible to replace without removing a lot of parts or does the front passenger wheel have to come off and inner fender along with serpentine belt and power steering unit too?
Old 12-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
WIALERO
GL Member

WIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadedog View Post
ok the code is P0341

car is all stock, over 100k on the car.
2000 alero,v6,no mods.

is it possible to replace without removing a lot of parts or does the front passenger wheel have to come off and inner fender along with serpentine belt and power steering unit too?

Nope not at all. Unless you want to do that

Quote:
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
WIALERO
GL Member

http://www.justanswer.com/oldsmobile...2001-3400.html

Quote:
Old 12-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Here's wade with his yearly post Gotta squeeze 2013 in there. smh.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
wadedog
GX Member

I guess i have been very lucky and haven't had too problems to deal with since the warranty ran out, most of those problems got fixed then that were common.
too bad they didn't fix the dash pleather ( not covered )
And the cheap window motors.

I didn't know there were two sensors, i guess since it's running ok it must be the crank sensor i thought it was, and I sure don't want to pull off the power steering unit and belt etc if i don't have to.
thanks.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
WIALERO
GL Member

Oh for the other one you do I did not know which one you needed

Quote:
Old 12-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
wadedog
GX Member

does anyone know the procedure to replacing this sensor and exactly what HAS to be done.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
You know it's the CAM shaft sensor performance code and not the CRANK shaft sensor performance code. P0341 is for the CAM shaft sensor.

good news is that sensor is located under the power steering pump, pretty easy to get to.

bad news is its located under the power steering pump and you have to remove the pump to get to it if memory serves me right. GM says to remove the serpentine belt in the removal procedure and leads me to believe someone dropped the ball and forgot the step about removing the pump.

i have the whole diagnoses procedure but its just a real pain to copy my screen, crop the image, upload to photo bucket, add to the forum yata yata yata. if your certain the p0341 cam code is what you have and you WANT the rest of the diag chart, ill post it tomorrow.

no abnormal install instructions. install in reverse order.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
wadedog
GX Member

I haven't tried replacing the sensor yet, way too busy and its running.

Is the cam shaft sensor behind the power steering pump on top of the engine or on the back side of the block, there is a lower sensor there i found on another site that says that is the one, i think it was called 7x

I sure don't want to spend all day removing parts for nothing and changing the wrong sensor.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
The cam sensor is under the power steering pump.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
Check the wiring going to it. I had a power steering leak and the fluid melted the insulation of the wires going to the cam sensor causing them to melt together. Horrible gas mileage. Got a new pigtail for $30 and it's good as new. The things you find out when you do a LIMG job.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
wadedog
GX Member

changed the whole sensor and it is good now, did have to remove belt and steering pump to get to it, kinda a pain for the first time trying to figure out what needed to be removed and how but after that it was easy.

thanks for the help.