Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 06-26-2016, 01:20 AM   #1
CharmfulPeace
GX Member

CharmfulPeace is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CharmfulPeace
Braking issues

Hey all, Just wanting to get some input on this issue I'm having.

When I brake to slow down or stop, Izzy shakes... Haven't gotten around to checking things around the tires, but by the feel of it, I am almost thinking that the either Brake rotors are warped or I need to replace the brakes.

Do not know if this would also be relevant (Probably), but when I reach higher speeds (80km+) she gets a soft shaking, even on nice and flat patches of roads.

Will look at taking a peak around my wheels tomorrow since I should definitely have the time to do so (Will also look at clearing my corners).

2004 Oldsmobile Alero.
CharmfulPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:29 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Warped rotors.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:36 AM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Your tires could be out of balance, warped rotors, maybe the hub bearing going out. You however should driving the car now before you cause expensive damage. I speak from experience. I noted something like what you are describing on my way to homecoming 2014. I had other problems on the trip (Previous owners neglect and wreck) that led to getting new tires. While my car was on the lift they called out. They proceed to grab my tire and shake it front to back, tire rod end shot. Then reach over and grab my entire rack and pinion assembly. It had about a half inch of play. Being a couple hundred miles away from home I couldn't deal with it, and limped home. A week later I got under the car to find the rack and pinon had an inch of play in the drivers side mount. The bolt was trashed, the rack its self had been ground out 2X larger, and had to build a completely new mount to weld onto the sub frame after grinding away the trashed metal. I know this is an extreme circumstance, and overall it was $400 fix because of the extensive damage + new tires. pictures may be around here somewhere still.
What you should take away from this is to stop stop driving the car until to know what you are dealing with. Get both front wheels off the ground, and make sure thing move that should, and the don't move, aren't moving.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:14 AM   #4
CharmfulPeace
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
Your tires could be out of balance, warped rotors, maybe the hub bearing going out. You however should driving the car now before you cause expensive damage. I speak from experience. I noted something like what you are describing on my way to homecoming 2014. I had other problems on the trip (Previous owners neglect and wreck) that led to getting new tires. While my car was on the lift they called out. They proceed to grab my tire and shake it front to back, tire rod end shot. Then reach over and grab my entire rack and pinion assembly. It had about a half inch of play. Being a couple hundred miles away from home I couldn't deal with it, and limped home. A week later I got under the car to find the rack and pinon had an inch of play in the drivers side mount. The bolt was trashed, the rack its self had been ground out 2X larger, and had to build a completely new mount to weld onto the sub frame after grinding away the trashed metal. I know this is an extreme circumstance, and overall it was $400 fix because of the extensive damage + new tires. pictures may be around here somewhere still.
What you should take away from this is to stop stop driving the car until to know what you are dealing with. Get both front wheels off the ground, and make sure thing move that should, and the don't move, aren't moving.

This is actually striking home for me since back in November/October my steering rack had actually snapped. Just got it back after spending $1225 on repairs (A-Frame had to be replaced also since the part that the rack bolts to had cracked and had a chip out of it so the replacement rack would not have been able to be securely replaced). I am currently looking for work, but whatever money I get I'll save up to look at a fix for this.

Will definitely look at checking things out tomorrow. Have the parents Jeep to drive, so maybe parking Izzy, for now, wouldn't be as much of a bummer.

2004 Oldsmobile Alero.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:15 AM   #5
CharmfulPeace
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Warped rotors.

Not really the most adept with car stuff, but am learning with my girl, so how would I check this out?

2004 Oldsmobile Alero.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
There's really no way to "check it out" If you stop and the steering wheel shakes, your rotors are warped.

I would just get new pads and rotors. Parts are pretty cheap for Aleros now. I have a brake upgrade from other GM cars and the brakes, for all 4 wheels, are less than $300 and that's for slotted and cross drilled

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Than again, every garage here in Germany has a brake test stand for diagnosing and testing brakes.
Warped rotors, or dragging caliper can easily be found by using these -- if the mechanics had any clue on what to look for

Don't know if its the same in Canada or the US, though.
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:51 AM   #8
CharmfulPeace
GX Member

Alrighty. Thanks!

2004 Oldsmobile Alero.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:33 AM   #9
CharmfulPeace
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
There's really no way to "check it out" If you stop and the steering wheel shakes, your rotors are warped.

I would just get new pads and rotors. Parts are pretty cheap for Aleros now. I have a brake upgrade from other GM cars and the brakes, for all 4 wheels, are less than $300 and that's for slotted and cross drilled

I'll probably look at going to a local wrecking yard that I like going to. The guy there always gives me great deals so I might even be able to swing them for $150-$250

2004 Oldsmobile Alero.