Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 05-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Headstrong2740 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Headstrong2740 Send a message via MSN to Headstrong2740 Send a message via Yahoo to Headstrong2740
Rebuild Underway!!

Well i have been doing the nasty job of tearing the motor down pulling pieces of.... alot easier then i thought it would be so far. I have already ordered:
Eagle Rods(320 shipped)
all the gaskets(160)
block work (200)
head work (150)
secret cams..new (230)
total so far.... 1010

oh yeah.. forgot the turbo and stuff add about another 600

1610 ...wow i cant believe that already

haha oh well

i still need to find pistons for the car... its being bored out .020

anyone know of a good place to go... so far i have only found one set for 469

also once the work is done on the block and crank.. ill order the bearings for the crank

any help on finding pistons for a better price would be awsome! let me know

"Dude..cuming on my mom is one thing, but banging your grandmother and her two roommates is like.....legandary!"

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2589855
Headstrong2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Sorry is it a 2.4 or a 3.4. If its a 4 banger and you already got the block out, you should install all the 2.3 stuff you can so get more HP plus the turbo kit.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
^ umm ... this is the 2.4 section ... so i assume he has the 2.4
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:00 AM   #4
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headstrong2740 View Post
Well i have been doing the nasty job of tearing the motor down pulling pieces of.... alot easier then i thought it would be so far. I have already ordered:
Eagle Rods(320 shipped)
all the gaskets(160)
block work (200)
head work (150)
secret cams..new (230)
total so far.... 1010

oh yeah.. forgot the turbo and stuff add about another 600

1610 ...wow i cant believe that already

haha oh well

i still need to find pistons for the car... its being bored out .020

anyone know of a good place to go... so far i have only found one set for 469

also once the work is done on the block and crank.. ill order the bearings for the crank

any help on finding pistons for a better price would be awsome! let me know

head gasket COMETIC MLS headgasket.. and ARP head studs... email Karo on www.carcustoms.net he can get you a competitive price on them.
He's the most reliable man I can think of.

Be sure to do the front and rear mounts in polyurethane too. your motor will be going buckwild with actual power coarsing through it.

while you're at it, go buy yourself a new oil pump... most autoparts stores will carry it or be able to get it... get the Clevitte branded oil pump. Oil gear is just a tad beefier.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Send a message via AIM to Headstrong2740 Send a message via MSN to Headstrong2740 Send a message via Yahoo to Headstrong2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyhunter View Post
head gasket COMETIC MLS headgasket.. and ARP head studs... email Karo on www.carcustoms.net he can get you a competitive price on them.
He's the most reliable man I can think of.

Be sure to do the front and rear mounts in polyurethane too. your motor will be going buckwild with actual power coarsing through it.

while you're at it, go buy yourself a new oil pump... most autoparts stores will carry it or be able to get it... get the Clevitte branded oil pump. Oil gear is just a tad beefier.

yeah i am putting in the 2.3 parts and any ideas where i can get the poly mounts ... kinda have no idea where to look for those. Good idea though since im sure once that turbo kicks in it will rock pretty wildly.
I am goign to ask the place thats doing my block if they are able to find pistons for it to fit and be able to handle the power.

any one found pistons besides the ones i found on ebay for the LD9motor? 469 seems like a lot to me.. or is that about right?

"Dude..cuming on my mom is one thing, but banging your grandmother and her two roommates is like.....legandary!"

Old 05-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
The pistons on eBay are actual Wiseco pistons. You're not going to find much better prices on those. There's also Car Customs, which is probably more trustworthy than eBay, but it's up to you. Here's the link:
http://www.carcustoms.net/product_in...ducts_id=4 16

Last edited by Spilner521 : 05-16-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
Headstrong2740
GL Member

BTW... ill be posting pics of the tear down of the motor a little later to show how far i have gotten... only been able to work on it a few hours a day though but doing pretty well i think for only using hand tools so far

Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
Headstrong2740
GL Member

yeah i kinda figured the weisco pistons were goign to be my best bet... oh well got to spend the money to get the parts i REALLY need HAHA

Old 05-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Nice.

I was surprised how easy it is to pull a motor apart too, and it's fun

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Pulling things apart is always the easy part...
Old 05-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Pulling things apart is always the easy part...

yeah i know.. the putting it back together i feel will be the harder.... i have done a few engines before.. but none came apart this easy so i hope it goes back together smoothly

I got my eagle rods (h beam) in today.... im about to order the pistons

the motor is pulled apart already and i dropped the block crank and head off to be cleaned up and worked over. They will need my pistons to balance the crank though... do you think its neccasary for that honestly? i have the eagle rods which seem pretty light and the Weisco pistons im ordering now. so i dont know what they will have to do to the crank but ill see... Its at a local speed shop... these guys are well known and do good work so i guess ill see what happens
Pics will be up tonight or tomorrow

Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
You should try the 2.6 Stroker(2.3block+2.4crank=2.6stroker) or just atleast put in a 2.3 oilpump and remove the balance shaft plus add a 086 head with stiffer valve springs and put in the secret cams or Ho cams you choice depending on the pistons you ordered. Then dont forget to tune it with HPtuners or megaskirt.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
Headstrong2740
GL Member

yeah i know... god alot of money is going into this.. LOL better be f-ing worth it! i just ordered the pistons for a total of 489 shipped

Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #14
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
LOL just don't drive it the way you did in that video... remember the key to not totalling your car is to avoid hitting things with it
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #15
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headstrong2740 View Post
yeah i know.. the putting it back together i feel will be the harder.... i have done a few engines before.. but none came apart this easy so i hope it goes back together smoothly

I got my eagle rods (h beam) in today.... im about to order the pistons

the motor is pulled apart already and i dropped the block crank and head off to be cleaned up and worked over. They will need my pistons to balance the crank though... do you think its neccasary for that honestly? i have the eagle rods which seem pretty light and the Weisco pistons im ordering now. so i dont know what they will have to do to the crank but ill see... Its at a local speed shop... these guys are well known and do good work so i guess ill see what happens
Pics will be up tonight or tomorrow

which speed shop.............car shop or that place on 23rd? not sure how they are with 4cyl but i know the car shop does good work. Tim and/or jim will work with ya. The car shop has done stuff for my old 71 and the 72.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #16
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
i've heard good things about the 2.3 oil pump swap. don't know. maybe the one spy said about would be better than stock even. also, it would help if you showed us where we could find a set of poly bushings.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
one thing to remember is when building the engine up with quality parts, prices shouldnt matter unless you want an engine that will only give poor performance or break

$469 for pistons is a good price, especially if you bought Wiseco, as they have a history of good quality parts

remember its better to overkill the first time around instead of wasting money to upgrade the same part later on

Last edited by number1alero : 05-17-2007 at 12:26 PM.
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #18
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post
LOL just don't drive it the way you did in that video... remember the key to not totalling your car is to avoid hitting things with it
your an idiot... my car was never totalled and the video is at a bad angle i was never close to anything to hit.

ill drive my car hard but i wont be a rooster and beat the hell out of it before trading it off to some other person. thats why i feel your a douche

Old 05-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #19
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
which speed shop.............car shop or that place on 23rd? not sure how they are with 4cyl but i know the car shop does good work. Tim and/or jim will work with ya. The car shop has done stuff for my old 71 and the 72.

Car shop does not do engine work anymore ( i think they had alot of problems with motors they had done) but its at Stelys in E. Moline.
they are balancing the crank (after the make sure i dont need a new one )
then they will bore it out .020 and do the deck
and the head is getting cleaned and checked and also shaved

all for about some where close to 6-7 hundred

Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #20
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fst4u View Post
i've heard good things about the 2.3 oil pump swap. don't know. maybe the one spy said about would be better than stock even. also, it would help if you showed us where we could find a set of poly bushings.

Yeah i want them as well cause i dont want the motor to move around to much inside.
So... Spy..... any ideas or links??

and as for the quality parts... thats all im using i want the power but wow is it costing alot.
the fuel system upgrade will have to wait till later on in the summer.
but will be nice once i get it to bumb up past 8 lbs of boost.... think ill be close to 10 with that... not to bad i think