Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 05-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #41
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Damn! Forgot, I need to buy head studs, since you can't re-use them... damn I wish money wasn't so tight, I need to get this shit done quick, before ASS, and before this engine dies.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #42
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Is this what I need? Or aren't they "studs" with threaded ends on both sides or something, like the ARPs? I just need a basic stock replacement stud kit.

Item#: FPGES72165
Price: $28.49

Besides ARP, these are the only things that come up close to head studs searching around Advance Auto Parts and NAPA.

Last edited by [ion] C2 : 05-03-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #43
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Those are head bolts....The ARP ones are head studs...cause its a stud then a washer and nut.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #44
[ion] C2
636 whp

Figured that was the physical difference, I'll just use these bolts since I doubt I'll need the ARPs. I didn't get a Cometic headgasket either since I don't intend to boost 15 PSI (where the stock one generally fails). If I do end up turning out a lot more power in the long run I'll get ARP head studs and the Cometic MLS gasket, but for now, this will do.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #45
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
just make sure you torque them good
Old 05-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #46
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
if you go over 10lbs... go ARP and cometic gasket...

you want over 350hp... go arp and cometic gasket...

save you the trouble of doing it twice.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #47
[ion] C2
636 whp

hah i will, i need this thing built SOON though. once i get more money and get the head P&P'd and whatnot i'll do the ARP/cometic
Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #48
[ion] C2
636 whp

Just talked to a guy at Motiv Race (performance place nearby). Says $750 will get the spare engine's head resurfaced, rods balanced and sized for the bearings perfectly, and everything put together.

That would leave me and my 12 friends with pulling the engine that's currently in the Alero, taking the accessories and such from that engine and installing them onto this 30k mile rebuilt engine, then putting this engine into the car and hooking it all up.

Good price? I seem to remember AnderbrA getting his fully rebuilt and bored over for $700.. and that included pulling and installing. This is just for building the already out engine and that's it.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #49
[ion] C2
636 whp

And the second PM from Motiv Race kills:

Quote:
Unfortunately I am booked up through the rest of this month and 1-2 weeks INTO june. I have about 7 cars here. I won't be able to touch anything until the 15thish of next month?
Looks like I get to fully rebuild if I am to get it done in time for ASS.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #50
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Worst thing you can do: Rush an engine build for a personal deadline.

Take your time and do everything right. Get your current engine all nice and clean for the show and wait for the new engine. It's not worth risking all that money on parts because you wanted it done sooner.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #51
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Yeah, don't rush it. That one runs quite well, especially for the miles on it.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #52
[ion] C2
636 whp

Meh. If I waited then I'd have enough saved for them to do the entire swap as well by then. But I do have the GM overhaul manual, nearly all of the required tools, and about 12 friends who are capable in mechanical things at my disposal... but only weekends to work, unless I took a week off work and just went at it. Don't know. I'm awaiting a response from a few other places that may have slots open to do it sooner.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #53
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Worst thing you can do: Rush an engine build for a personal deadline.

Take your time and do everything right. Get your current engine all nice and clean for the show and wait for the new engine. It's not worth risking all that money on parts because you wanted it done sooner.

very well said......
Old 05-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #54
[ion] C2
636 whp

Spilner321... why aren't you coming to ASS?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #55
Spilner521
Boost Guru

That weekend I'm actually going to the Formula D event in Englishtown, NJ. Besides, by then the Alero will be parked in the garage getting torn apart for an Eco swap, and I'm not going to come to the Alero show in a Lexus.

Next year
Old 05-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #56
[ion] C2
636 whp

Screw going to a drift comp, just bring the Alero. It's only a month away, don't be tearing it apart yet.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #57
ares89
GL Member

ares89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
That weekend I'm actually going to the Formula D event in Englishtown, NJ. Besides, by then the Alero will be parked in the garage getting torn apart for an Eco swap, and I'm not going to come to the Alero show in a Lexus.

Next year

2.4L turbo to an eco.... will take random 2.4L parts off your hands for free

*New Daily* 2009 Ford Mustang 4.0L Convertible - Vista Blue with Silver Striping
ares89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #58
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Screw going to a drift comp, just bring the Alero. It's only a month away, don't be tearing it apart yet.
No, it's time to get torn apart, it's due for some work anyway. I need to replace both O2 sensors and, even though it runs great and still pulls hard, it's been consuming a bit of coolant on a regular basis, so I'm pretty sure the head gasket has a small leak somewhere. Plus I need new tires to put my 18's back on, so I figure I'll just wait and put the new rims on when everything is ready.

Like I said, next year.