Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 09-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #41
KenshinZero
GLS member

KenshinZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiguilandry View Post
i'm currently working in a custom kit that will use your car a/c but not to cool the car... to cool the compressed air... gonna make a custom lower intake with the evaporator of the a/c that is in the dash incorporated to the lower intake of the car.... think it will work better than water to air intercooler setup since the new ''core of the intercooler'' will be like at 20* instead of like almost 100*... that's a try but I think it will work pretty good because the a/c never heats up and it ads no weight to the car..

Sounds promising
KenshinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #42
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
except that the a/c produces drag on the engine

laminova does some weird stuff using a/c with their intercoolers though
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #43
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
it takes what... 10 to 15 hp to get the a/c working maybe 20 maximum... if it gives me the chance to boots like 5 to 7 more psi(close to 20 psi of boost) i'm gonna have 500+hp so no big deal about a loss of 20hp that create 100....

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #44
KenshinZero
GLS member

What about useing just the vent?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 AM   #45
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe I'm wrong....(wait, no....that doesn't happen) but I'm pretty sure there's some things we need to look at here. Not saying show-stoppers...but:

1) GM programs in an A/C clutch cut-out above a certain RPM or TPS. (benefit)
2) Somebody is going to get kicked off the track for their car dripping (condensation)
3) torque stress on rotational components (A/C compressor/clutch?)

These things won't definitely happen, just stuff to think about....2 bad, 1 good

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #46
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

yeah i tought about the clutch thing... feed it with a relay when the key is on... water dripping. I dont think this is a problem personally..... for the torque stress .... I can hope its tough enough...

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 09-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #47
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
hahaha I imagine the guy saying to his buddy :

" man I gotta reinforce my A/C clucth"

"Why?"

"because i want more boost out of my supercharger"

"WTF?! "
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #48
KenshinZero
GLS member

HAH, Theres a thought.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #49
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshinZero View Post
That’s what i've read, but I have it in my head, that there is a way to use an intercooler, the factory intercooler of a 1st gen. Toyota Supra has both intake and exit tubes on the same side, and i'm guessing that it would work. I haven’t had time to experiment with this idea. I understand that an intercooler with tubes on opposite sides would be impractical, and just would not work.
It's easy to install an intercooler with opposite side tubes:

You just won't be able to use this type of intercooler with a supercharger that is after the throttle body. Best way is a water/methanol injection kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalero View Post
I have a question, Lets say I route tubing from the supercharger to an intercooler in the front of the car, and put the air filter at the other end of the intercooler, would it work efficiently?
Wouldn't work at all. The engine would be sucking in outside air and trying to cool it with outside air. You can't cool air with air of the same temperature. It would only be a restriction on the intake.

The reason why intercoolers work is because when a turbo or supercharger compresses air, it heats up that air. The hot charge air then travels into the intercooler. Hot charge air can be cooled by cooler outside air running through the front of the intercooler.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #50
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

yeah I know that but I mean with a working a/c system you know with r134a inside as refrigerant not just the compressor pushing air into the system... what I mean is a system that work like a air to water intercooler with the coolant grille incorporated to the intake spacer that bolt between the supercharger and lower intake... except it's refrigerant inside and not water, refrigerant can maintain a very much lower working temperature than water.... if I could I would have put a air to air intercooler, but I can't, maybe if I go twincharged one day with a GT42... but I don't think that will ever happen

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 09-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #51
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
yeah I know that but I mean with a working a/c system you know with r134a inside as refrigerant not just the compressor pushing air into the system... what I mean is a system that work like a air to water intercooler with the coolant grille incorporated to the intake spacer that bolt between the supercharger and lower intake... except it's refrigerant inside and not water, refrigerant can maintain a very much lower working temperature than water.... if I could I would have put a air to air intercooler, but I can't, maybe if I go twincharged one day with a GT42... but I don't think that will ever happen
I wasn't talking about that at all actually...
Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #52
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshinZero View Post
That’s what i've read, but I have it in my head, that there is a way to use an intercooler, the factory intercooler of a 1st gen. Toyota Supra has both intake and exit tubes on the same side, and i'm guessing that it would work.

Uhh, the Supra wasn't turbocharged until the 3rd generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
2) Somebody is going to get kicked off the track for their car dripping (condensation)

If you had the evaporator core as the intercooler, then most of the dripping would be happening INSIDE the engine. The core is what has most of the condensation on it.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #53
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

sorry yeah i re-read the complete thread, seems I missed a couple of post the other day... by the way, what will you do with your 2,4 turbo setup when you will be swapped... I might know a couple of interested people into buying all that

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 09-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #54
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

inside the engine... but at the speeds air travel trough it will takes it all with it like vapors soo no problems

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #55
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
If you had the evaporator core as the intercooler, then most of the dripping would be happening INSIDE the engine. The core is what has most of the condensation on it.

which would be fun in and of itself. OOOH...I got it, we could drill a big hole in the bottom of the supercharger or intake so the water wouldn't go into the engine.......ROFL.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #56
Cliff8928

at least the water would blow out real fast!
Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #57
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

my point is that with the heat inside the engine water will vaporize and what do you do when you spary alky ???? you spray a liquid into your engine

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 09-15-2008, 01:39 AM   #58
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
my point is that with the heat inside the engine water will vaporize and what do you do when you spary alky ???? you spray a liquid into your engine

Oh, that wasn't meant as a slam, I just thought it was funny. But spraying meth/alchy into your engine isn't the same, it's atomized as it's sprayed in, if done properly.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:40 AM   #59
KenshinZero
GLS member

Now, about the computer, instead of swapping it with a 2000 + Alero, wouldn’t it be possible to get one from a Cobalt SS? Considering the Cobalt is supercharged, the computer would be able to adjust the air/fuel mix, without buying a controller.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:58 AM   #60
Cliff8928

It *may* be possible to use one from a 2004-2005 car. The problem arises that those cars were the start of using the GM Lan (CAN) bus over the older Class 2 data bus that the Alero uses.