Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #61
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
guess you can't really visualize the amount of flex the vehicle body undergoes

ok....for KW's set up i see why he would want it. if hes going to put out 400+ HP...OK. i guess i just cant see spending a shit ton of money on a three point bar that really wont make a noticeable difference. but to each their own
Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #62
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
basically your saying it wont make a noticable difference.......but at the same time you dont even have proof to back that up......its like your saying the stb was invented for no reason what so ever
Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #63
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would buy one if they where out there, but.. I already bought the ones from pfyc black and red I think.. I still gotta install them
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #64
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alero- View Post
ok is there no explanation as to why it has a shine to it?

or this this one of those "dont worry about it" subjects where its too painful to talk about?

99 to mid 01 had the shiney smooth one after that they were dull and rough.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #65
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
basically your saying it wont make a noticable difference.......but at the same time you dont even have proof to back that up......its like your saying the stb was invented for no reason what so ever

I just want someone to explain to me HOW a three point is better than a two. Does the front section of your car move that much that you need one more point of contact? I would think those three bars would be good for people who drift or race their car on a track. but for road use, i just dont think the three point will make a difference cause you wont be sliding around and making your engine compartment move. BUT KW does have a crazy motor build in the works, so for him.....yea its probably gonna help some. SOMEONE JUST EXPLAIN IT!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #66
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
when the vehicle turns, the body flexes. brace it, it doesn't flex (as much).

it's not rocket science.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #67
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
The entire car flexes a lot when turning, especially the strut mounting points (strut towers) since the struts are the main suspension components connecting the wheels to the chassis. The struts aren't connected to each other in any way, so they're free to flex and move independently. Tie them together with a 2 point strut brace (the most common) and it stiffens things up a bit. Only problem is, you just connected 2 flexy strut towers to each other, so now they flex together instead of independently.

Ok so that's a little better than it was with no brace. A 3 point brace connects the two strut towers together, and then anchors the bar to the firewall, which doesn't flex nearly as much as the strut braces since it's a large part of the unibody structure. This pretty much takes any flex out of the struts and lets the suspension do it's job better.

Having a powerful engine has nothing to do with it. The entire car is going to flex regardless of the engine's power output.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #68
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
i was just going to type that up, ya beat me to it

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #69
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Yeah sure you were
Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #70
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
winnar
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #71
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
chicken dinnar
Old 04-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #72
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road

they even made them red to stand out! Those side braces would be nice to have on the Alero......
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #73
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
yeah i was thinking about the gtp setup....
Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #74
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
ok is there no explanation as to why it has a shine to it?

or this this one of those "dont worry about it" subjects where its too painful to talk about?

Honestly no explanation...hows does others look? I thought they were all like that
Old 04-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #75
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
yeah i was thinking about the gtp setup....
It's not just the GTP that has those chassis braces, my brother's Olds Intrigue has them too. They'd be a nice addition to the Alero, especially if you already have the 3 point STB
Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #76
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
It's not just the GTP that has those chassis braces, my brother's Olds Intrigue has them too. They'd be a nice addition to the Alero, especially if you already have the 3 point STB

now that idea is ftw......
Old 04-06-2009, 03:35 AM   #77
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
trying to fit the 3-point in an Alero could prove to be a pain in the ass though. current designs line the STB up with the hood seal, and not low enough to bolt into the firewall. if we had somebody to fab up some heavy-duty metal parts though.....
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #78
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Kwhauck, what do you plan on using for a 3 point STB? An existing bar with extra braces added on, attaching to the firewall, or a fully custom made bar?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #79
kwhauck
2Screwy

most likely fully custom, i got connections for cnc and aluminum...