Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 07-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
smurf got a hardware store and get an adaptor. you probably got 1/8npt on your new sending unit but the thread in the cam tower is 1/4npt. make sure to use telfon tape and remember the cam tower is alum. so don't over torque.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #22
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Thank you to all who responded. I did go to autozone today before work, and did exactly what Cherry said (without reading his post first). I took the new sending unit in and told the guy that I needed an adapter to fit in my car. He said okay, bent down and came up and handed me the adapter and teflon tape. I think I am not the only one that has done this as he NEVER went to the back or anywhere else, it was like he knew what I was coming for and had it already waiting for me.

I do plan on doing this tonight as the wires for the new sending unit were ran last night (Cherry would be SO proud...I went therought the grommet instead of the door). LMAO.
I am also tired of looking at a voltmeter that works, a transmission temp that reads 100 degrees (not hooked up) and an oil pressure gague that reads 100psi (not hooked up at the current time).
-Smurf-
Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #23
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
Cherry would be SO proud...I went therought the grommet instead of the door.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #24
PappaSmurf
GLS member

^^^^^DONT EVEN. LOL I got your number, Wait a minute and come back to this thread. ROTFLMAO
-Smurf-
Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #25
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Going thru the door is the ghetto way of doing it

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #26
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Chris (Ion),
this is how your fuse box should look like AFTER you get through installing things. ROTFLMAO
-Smurf-

Old 07-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #27
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah... I forgot all that stuff was even in there. A massive array of wires, tap splices, and electrical tape are spiderwebbed where my fuse panel once was.

Redoing it soon... and getting a fire extinguisher.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #28
PappaSmurf
GLS member

For those of you that wanted to see the pics, Here you go.
-Smurf-

Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #29
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Chris,
That is go to know that you are AT LEAST getting a fire extinguisher. LMAO.
I wish you luck on the project of redoing it all.
Also forgot to say thanks for the info and help regarding the magnaflow as a resonator. I think you will be quite surprised to know that I NO LONGER sound like a horny bumble bee in a coffee can. LOL
-Smurf-

Last edited by PappaSmurf : 07-13-2009 at 07:45 PM.
PappaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #30
[ion] C2
636 whp

w00t!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #31
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Looks pretty good

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #32
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Okay,
So to CONTINUE the what I learned (I really believe the "What I learned" should be an IMPORTANT part of anyone trying anything); I learned that if you go to Autozone and just say "I need an adapter to make this fit in my car," is NOT going to work! You need an adapter with a something like a 45 degree bend, otherwise your sending unit with be rubbing against the camshaft housing, along with the fuel line diaphragm sitting on top of the unit.

I have ALSO learned that not only is Scott (Oldsman) the guy who puts together A.S.S and the president of the Alero Chapter of the O.C.A; He is the guy to call and talk to when your car has problems. He work voodoo over the phone (somehow; I don't know so don't ask!) and scares your car straight. After talking on the phone with Scott (and possibly fixing my P0171 code) I take out the new sending unit and replace the old one. Get in my car and start her up just to make sure nothing is wrong. She cranks at the first turn...I look down and ALL of my lights (warning lights, remember i had the wheel hub lights (SVS, ABS, and TRAC off)) are gone. I QUICKLY pick up the phone and leave Scott a message to, "keep doing the voodoo that you do doo." LMAO
-Smurf-
Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #33
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
no way.........LOL. See I am THAT DAMN GOOD...........lol
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #34
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
damm smurf you got that shxt hooked up quick! LOL

send me pics of install.... Im, so! gunna do what you did just to save myself sometime, money, and look kool while driving my ho...

Last edited by hok666 : 07-14-2009 at 01:39 PM.
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #35
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
also.. for anyone else who reads this thread...

DO NOT CONNECT AN OIL PRESSURE GAUGE UNTIL THE OIL SENDING UNIT IS INSTALLED.

connecting it to power can mess up its calibration. Its why I have a new one. My last was fubar'd for driving around with it not connected to the sending unit, put connected to power.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #36
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
@smurf
how'd you remove your trim in the first place? Im afraid Im going to break mine..(Im super strong!) I have pry plastic pry tools, might they help?
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #37
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
Just pull it off it won't break its stuck in by clips like evrythin else in our cars
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:00 AM   #38
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Hok,
I wanna look cool driving your HO...Oy yeah the car.ROTFLMAO!!!
Yeah once you get the know-how and where to hook the things up it's easy as shit and it took me maybe 15 minutes to run the power to them. I ran all three red wires together, All yellow wires together, ALL black wires together, and hook them into the stereo harness. I have an aftermarket radio so the harness has the same three colors with the same function as that of the gauges. After that I attach more wire to the sender wires of the Oil pressure and the transmission temperature gauge and then poked a hole in the firewall and ran the wires through into the engine bay. Then hook those wires up to the sender unit (for the oil pressure gauge) and I still have the other wire for the trans temp sitting in the engine bay but its wrapped up arounf the brake fluid resovoir, waiting till i get the temp probe into the transmission. after that it is going to be easy. Hook up the power and then ground the temp probe and Voila, I'm done.

As far as the original a-pillar, start at the top near the roof. Pull out just enough to slide in your fingers, run your hands down the a-pillar while prying away just a little. It does take a little muscle, so (FOR YOU) just breathe on it and it will fall off. LMAO
If you have a plastic pry bar, that might help. I have one but didn't use it.
-Smurf-
Old 07-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #39
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Okay,
So now that I have had a couple of days to figure shit out (life), I am back in the game and going to let you guys know that I will be trying to get my transmission temperature gauge hooked up tomorrow. I will be spending ALL day on it if that is what it takes.
At the same time I will be taking pictures for the write up and how-to "installing gauges on the 2.4L." I am going to be doing the write up for the oil pressure/ transmission temp/ and volt meter along with pictures and better DETAILED instructions that I received from some of the members on here.
I am going to bed now and will post tomorrow. Later
-Smurf-
Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #40
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Okay, So after almost a week of messing around. I finally installed the tranmission temperature probe and it was SO easy, AR offspring could do it. LOL!!! Just playing alero racing.
I have included a picture of where the temperature probe needs to be installed on the 2.4L; If you can change your own oil then you can install this, as the location for the transmission probe is adjacent to the oil drain plug.
-Smurf-