Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Exclamation Rough Starting

Every once in a while... my car doesn't want to start. It turns over, just doesn't "catch"

what could be the problem? It cranks fine, starter seems to be clicking as rapidly as ever... (what do they sound like when they are dying?) The fuel pump is certainly priming...

When it doesn't... it cranks, sputters, all power shuts off for a second, then everything kicks on and it starts. wtf causes that?!? and when i say all power is lost... i mean.. headunit shuts off, gauges shut off, headlights off...everything. for about 0.5 seconds... then it kicks on and starts right up.

When running, i have absolutely ZERO problems. Voltage is at 14.8, its a new battery (which is holding 11.5/12.0 Volts when ON, easily) no idle problems, no engine trouble... no codes.

....wtf...?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Everytime I've lost power on startups it's been from a loose connection on the battery.. Pretty simple, but have you tried disconnecting/ reconnecting it? Checking the main leads for loose connections??

The engine rocks a lot when it's starting compared to normally it seems to me.. maybe a wire moves just right sometimes.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
fusebox wire is corroded, take it off and clean it... happened to me, used to do that once....

also, clean and service battery terminals
Old 01-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
like i said, battery is new (like a week old) connections are new, clean, and tight.

which fusebox, and how so i take them off?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

Ok... fuse box line was a little corroded... thats fixed.

Started ok after that, but last night it was pretty rough again. So i have a question. I know the starter is good... but what if the lines coming out of it are salted and corroded. Wouldn't that cause bad power to come from the starter, leading to bad spark?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
Ok... fuse box line was a little corroded... thats fixed.

Started ok after that, but last night it was pretty rough again. So i have a question. I know the starter is good... but what if the lines coming out of it are salted and corroded. Wouldn't that cause bad power to come from the starter, leading to bad spark?

um, spark is controlled via PCM, and the coilpacks... if it runs like a dream when it's running.. it's not the ignition.. you did plugs you say.. okay.. get us a video will ya please?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

acdelco...iridium, i think. iirc.
also checked oil, for limg redux... and its typical dark oil. no chocolatey-ness.

I'll get a video up soon

i do remember once just after i got it, as i was driving the whole thing just shut off... no power anywhere... dead coast.. for like... 4 seconds. Then everything kicked on w/o me doing an thing, and went back to how it was driving. Possibly my pcm might be bad? I suppose it could make sense....

...i just went to try to get a video...and it started fine. I'll have to keep my camera in my car....
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
wearetheromans85
GX Member

wearetheromans85 is on a distinguished road
I'm having very similar problem. Today right when I was about to leave work I started the car then after being started for a sec or so the whole car just shut off. Didn't seem like a dirty fuel system kind of shutoff more like someone pulled the power plug. any other thoughts?
wearetheromans85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

when it turns over like crazy, shortly after driving, i get a pretty strong smell of gas.

which leads me to believe 1 of two things. connections on the starter, not sending good power for spark (or the coil packs) OR the spark plugs....
Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Fpr?
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

which is where?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
which is where?

They are known to leak.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

I didn't see there was a reply here... and i just went and looked it up.

I think i'll try replacing that first. Its cheaper, easier, and most likely the issue. (when it doesn't crank, i get a strong gas smell in the car) So new hosing and a new FPR... probably tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 AM   #14
cherrington17
Gone

Also like to add... i took the top hose off the FPR while the car was idling... and no gas came out.

But...at idle.. the engine did seem to have a slight gas smell to it...

Tomorrow i'm seeing if i can rent a fuel pressure tester.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
cherrington17
Gone

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXg2aRLVJ-U

I got a pressure tester... and it doesn't work. LAME! I connected it to the schrader valve (gay sprayed out) turned the key to ON (leaving engine off) the pump primed... the tester needle didn't move.

So I repeated this... Needle doesn't move. So I started the car... Needle doesn't move. I press the pressure relief with the car running (should cause gas to shoot out) Nothing. LAME!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Double Fail
Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

that is EXACTLY what my alero did when my HG's were gone.. crank FART crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaannnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkk

and it eventually hucks and farts until it's going... then runs fine

and to prove it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhPwmj0s4AY

yes, that is my car, a week before the headgasket job..

since the HG job, NO issues WHATSOEVER
Old 01-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #18
cherrington17
Gone

there was no "fart" i stopped cranking. (not shown in video, for reasons unknown to youtube shenanigans) I turned the key and it immediately cranked.

I can send you the legit video... youtube botched it.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #19
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
there was no "fart" i stopped cranking. (not shown in video, for reasons unknown to youtube shenanigans) I turned the key and it immediately cranked.

I can send you the legit video... youtube botched it.
yeah, but i heard it "fire" ONCE, then "crrrrannnnnk"

mine used to do that EXACT same thing.. send me the good video though, hopefully your camera is a lot better then youtube makes it out to be

natey1112@yahoo.com

i'll PM you my home phone, call me and we can discuss this further

call me around 4:30pm
Old 01-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
cherrington17
Gone

http://rapidshare.com/files/334263321/CIMG0007.AVI.html

actual video.