Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #21
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
No reason not to, need a car to do measurements/fitment on though probably.

how about just a block and heads, I can tell them any other measurements they would need.....

It's a little lacking right now.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010151.JPG (75.1 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by kwhauck : 10-06-2010 at 06:27 PM.
kwhauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #22
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
There's nothing wrong with the 3400. If your looking for a quick and easy mod for the 3400 you could always get an aftermarket PCM as well as the other suggestions in this thread. Don't just give up on it because its more expensive than the LD9. If expense is an issue then you should just get an LD9 or leave it stock.
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 AM   #23
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Had the hptuner hooked up to my 3400 and ion and I found that it already comes built with a turbo modifier option which he said didn't exist for his car when he hooked up. Not that it slows him down any : P but the 3.4 has some kick. I love it.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 AM   #24
radomirthegreat
GX Member

radomirthegreat is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to radomirthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to radomirthegreat Send a message via Skype™ to radomirthegreat
The 3400 has plenty of advantages compared to the 2.4.

To start, it has more horsepower. You're complaining about how much the mods cost, but think about how much of that little bit of money here & there you'd have to spend to get an LD9 up to 170 HP at the crank. Subtract that from the price of 3400 headers, and it's not so bad.

Also, the 3400 has splayed valves for intake/exhaust. This lets the intake and exhaust air flow have a clearer path straight at the valves so that flow is increased. This actually gives you more power, and airflow increasing mods like a cam or rockers get you much better results than what you'd have with straight ports. Straight ports like the ones on an LD9, 350, 3800, etc. don't let the air as efficiently flow at the valves and into/out of the combustion chambers.

With a 60º V-design, the 3400 sounds great! The 2.4 sounds like a 4-cylinder engine, which it is, but I don't like the sound. A 60º V6 or a V8 sound fantastic, and you can run them without a resonator and enjoy a nice exhaust note without much rasp.

Downsides are the iron block, so some weight, and that the engine bay appears to be so cramped that those tiny manifolds are used. Otherwise, the 3400 is a solid engine that's generally easy to mod and is more powerful out of the gate.
radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #25
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
I like the way this guy thinks......lol
Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #26
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Are you sure the 3400 has an iron block? I thought I checked once and it was aluminum, but maybe I'm on crack and just don't know it.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #27
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
The LIM problems and gas mileage of the V6 is more than enough for me to think of the 4 cylinder engine as the better of the two.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #28
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
from what i have read the LD9 has crank bearing problems, BUT that's what i have heard/read. beings to it mine is on it 3rd engine and still under 100k miles

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #29
Lucalare
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
The LIM problems and gas mileage of the V6 is more than enough for me to think of the 4 cylinder engine as the better of the two.

I've gotten 32/gal with my LA1
Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #30
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
the 3400 does has its problems, but out of the box the driveability is much nicer compared to the ld9, due to have over 200 torque.

gas mileage can be 30+ if modded right, i remember getting 34 on the highway.

as far as modding potential goes the L61 has it all, LD9 is 2nd and LA1 is last.

however, i learned alot about a V series 6 cylinder with this engine. its very simple designed and alot can be learned about it, due to this simple design.

all three of them really just require money if you want to go fast, some more than others, but that gives them the personal choice factor.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #31
Lucalare
GLS member

I've kind of gotten away from performance mods because going fast just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I'm currently working on a lot of lighting stuff, then in spring I want to replace my one fender, or get aftermarket fenders, and also get GA mirrors and spoiler. After that I might do an underglow kit, or rims, or maybe both.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #32
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
I get 30 mpg with mixed driving conditions with my 3400. MPG is mostly affected by the driver. They have found you can have a forty percent decrease in gas usage if you remove some lead from your foot.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #33
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
you mean increase in gas mileage lol
Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #34
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
decrease in gas usage ...

that would be an increase in milage.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #35
Lucalare
GLS member

Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #36
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
i swear it said mileage not usage
Old 10-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #37
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post

Why would you get a V6 if gas mileage is an issue? Obviously in most cases a 4 cylinder will have a better gas mileage compared to a 6 cylinder. The LA1 has performance over the LD9. You either pick performance or gas mileage.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #38
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
I went with both - TwinCam for mileage and S/C for performance. IMO overhead cams and 4 valves beats pushrods and 2 valves any day. Besides the ease of doing basic work on this motor...
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #39
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
you mean increase in gas mileage lol

No I meant decrease in gas usage which generally equates to an increase in gas mileage.

But White already beat me to it I see lol.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #40
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by widbyj View Post
I went with both - TwinCam for mileage and S/C for performance. IMO overhead cams and 4 valves beats pushrods and 2 valves any day. Besides the ease of doing basic work on this motor...

I was talking about a stock LD9 vs a stock LA1. And yeah when you compare a pushrod 3.4 vs a dohc 3.4, the dohc has my vote. The gm 3.4 dohc is better than the LA1 when it comes to performance. I still love my LA1 though.