Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
jlong
GL Member

jlong is on a distinguished road
4T40E Output shaft seal replacment

I'm still in the process of gathering information to do this. The seals are leaking on both sides and have been for a while. The leak is a very slow leak and doesn't leave spots on the driveway but I can clearly see fluid when I do oil changes.

This has got to be the most confusing job I have ever attempted to do on a car.
I found this doc which documents the procedure on a V6 and L4, manual and auto. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/he...ssion_seal.doc There are some pics in the doc.

Thought I would copy and paste the procedure for the 4T40E in case the link ever goes away.

L4 Automatic Transaxle

Right side
To Remove:
NOTE: The stub axle shaft sleeve and seal must be replaced together. DO NOT replace the sleeve or seal separately.
1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
2. Remove the right axle shaft.
3. Remove the snap ring from the stub axle shaft.
4. Discard the snap ring.
5. Install the special tools J 38868 and J 6125-1B or equivalent into the stub shaft snap ring groove.
6. Pull lightly on the shaft while rotating the shaft until the stub shaft snap ring at the differential seats in the taper on the differential side gear.
7. Remove the stub shaft from the transmission.
8. Remove the inner snap ring.
NOTE: Seal bore or sleeve assembly damage may cause fluid leaks.
9. Remove the sleeve from the stub shaft using special tool J 41227 or equivalent.
10. Remove the right hand axle seal from the transmission using special tool J 23129 and J 6125-1B or equivalent.

To Install:
1. Install a new sleeve on the output axle shaft using special tool J 41228 or equivalent.
2. Install the collet into the output shaft snap ring groove with the collet attached to the threaded collet shaft.
3. Place the new sleeve over the collet.
4. Install the bearing and nut onto the threaded collet shaft.
5. Hold the collet shaft while tightening the nut in order to press the sleeve onto the output shaft.
6. Remove special tool J 41228 or equivalent.
7. Install two new snap rings on the stub shaft.
8. Apply grease to the output shaft splines.
NOTE: Special tool J 41102-1A or equivalent must be used to install the axle seal to the correct depth.
9. Use special tool J 41102-1A and J 8092 or equivalent to Install a new seal. Lubricate the seal lip with transmission fluid. Carefully guide the axle shaft past the lip seal.
CAUTION The seal lip may be damaged if allowed to contact the shaft splines.
10. Install the stub shaft into the transmission. Use a mallet to fully seat the shaft.
11. Install the axle shaft.
12. Lower the vehicle.
13. Check the transxle fluid level.
14. Check the shaft and seal for leaks.

Left Side
To Remove:
1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
2. Remove the left axle shaft assembly.
3. Remove and discard the snap ring from the axle shaft.
4. Remove the axle shaft seal. Axle sleeve removal tool
5. Use special tool J 41227 or equivalent to remove the sleeve from the axle shaft.

To Install:
NOTE: The axle shaft sleeve and seal must be replaced together. DO NOT replace the sleeve or seal separately.
NOTE: Special tool J 41102-1A or equivalent must be used to install the axle seal to the correct depth.
1. Use special tool J 41102-1A and J 8092 or equivalent to Install a new seal. Lubricate the seal lip with transmission fluid. Carefully guide the axle shaft past the lip seal.
2. Apply grease to the output shaft splines.
NOTE: Special tool J 41228 or equivalent must be used to install the axle sleeve to the correct depth.
3. Use special tool J 41228 or equivalent to install a new sleeve on the output axle shaft.
4. Install the collet into the output shaft snap ring groove with the collet attached to the threaded collet shaft.
5. Place the NEW sleeve over the collet.
6. Install the bearing and nut onto the threaded collet shaft.
7. Hold the collet shaft while tightening the nut in order to press the sleeve onto the output shaft.
8. Remove the special tool J 41228 or equivalent.
9. Install a new snap ring on the output shaft.
10. Install the axle shaft assembly.
11. Lower the vehicle.
12. Inspect the axle shaft for leaks.
13. Check the oil level.

Reading this makes my head hurt. I still need the part numbers for all the parts needed for this job. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also has anyone attempted this job? Do I really need all these special tools?

Thanks!
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
jlong
GL Member

So these are the tools I need according to the document above.
tool.jpg

I can find most of the tools on ebay but they are kind of pricy. Anyone have any advise as far as do I really need these tools to do the job, and if I don't what can I use instead of those? Hopefully I will only use them once so I don't want to purchase something I can substitute.

I'm obviously not in a hurry to get this done but the weather is starting to cool off and I'm getting ready to do it soon.

What would should I expect to pay to have this done at a shop if I didn't do it myself?

Advice and comments are welcome! I've searched other sites and can't really find any solid info on doing this job.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
im not sure if this helps, but i changed the seals on my 2.2 with the 5-speed, and didn't really need any special tools

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
jlong
GL Member

The 5 speed looks like it's a lot easier than the auto.

With the right tools it doesn't look that hard but without the tools I'm not sure that it can be done easily or properly without future problems.

So no one has done this on their auto transmission? Hum...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
I did this in a 2.8 Beretta years back.

Remove the CV axles make sure you pull the socket portion out of the trans.

Use a seal puller, pull seals.

Push new seals in. Put it back together.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Looking at that document I wouldnt put to much faith into it.

Pull the axles and those stub shafts out. If the stub shafts are grooved real bad where the oil seal is then you should think about replacing them. If not then just replace the seal. Usually a rubber seal doesnt wear to much on a hardened steel shaft...
Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
jlong
GL Member

I guess I need to get a hold of the seal and sleeve to see what I am working with. That document looks a little overwhelming, which I guess if you looked at the manual on how to change the oil it would look overwhelming too!

I just need to get under the car and do it. I have replaced the front main oil seal on my Chevy colorado and I can't imagine this would much more difficult than that.

I'm going to assume that the right sized socket and a hammer is all I will need to install the seal and sleeve.

Last edited by jlong : 09-14-2011 at 01:44 PM.