Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
crankycowboy
GX Member

crankycowboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
is that with the engine cold before it gets a chance to warm up?

If I remember correctly (at work now), even if I start it with the cap off, a gush of water will push out.
crankycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
head gasket

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #23
crankycowboy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankycowboy View Post
If I remember correctly (at work now), even if I start it with the cap off, a gush of water will push out.

I just spoke with my buddy that was helping me on it, and he indicated that when it was cool...there were no issues with water pushing out....it was only when it was warm (both starting with cap off and with cap on while driving). What does that mean?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
I would like to think that if you have a very bad blown head gasket that it would push water out no matter what the temp is. however there is an exception to everything. your sure the coolant level is perfict and not over full? your also sure you have a GOOD new cap? iv recieved bad ones before that were brand new.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #25
crankycowboy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
I would like to think that if you have a very bad blown head gasket that it would push water out no matter what the temp is. however there is an exception to everything. your sure the coolant level is perfict and not over full? your also sure you have a GOOD new cap? iv recieved bad ones before that were brand new.

That's what confuses me....the issues seem inconsistent. If it was just black and white, I wouldn't even be bothering you guys and would just be changing the heads/gaskets out.

The new cap is good. It holds pressure, it seems that the water being pushed out is for when it's over the 15 psi or whatever the rating is.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
still, it's a head gasket, for sure.

inconsistencies in cooling and when it blows out of the reservoir is one of the symptoms i experienced many times
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #27
crankycowboy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
still, it's a head gasket, for sure.

inconsistencies in cooling and when it blows out of the reservoir is one of the systems i experienced many times

If you guys are certain that's what it is...I'll pull them off. It's just concerning since this is almost exactly the same behavior that I was experiencing with the other engine (and frankly, when I pulled the heads off, I couldn't find a spot in the gasket that looked like water was getting through). I still have compression, no water in oil, no smoke....just want to make sure.

I should have also mentioned, that the car has trouble idling (it's smooth as long as I keep my foot on the gas), someone in another thread said since I swapped engines and had battery off, the computer has to re-learn all the settings...hope that's all it is...or could that be another sign towards gasket?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #28
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry Billy, I should have mentioned that. Yes, I bled it via the brass fitting on the tube.

WhiteV6: Now, it was out of a 99 Alero. Hot air wasn't flowing out of the vents, but I backflushed the heater core, and now nice and warm. Wow, if it's another head gasket, I'm going to cry. Is there any way to verify short of tearing the whole darn thing apart if all the cylinders have compression, there is no "milk" in the oil, and no smoke blows out the tail pipe. And do you think it's just coincidental that it's behaving exactly the way the previous engine was?

That is why i would rather rebuilt the current engine that you already know what the problem is than buy another one which you know nothing about
If i ever buy a used engine i would rebuilt it all before doing the swap

Anyhow could a clogged radiator do that?
(two engine same problem hmmm...?)

If not the rad then HG for sure... another warp head maybe?

Last edited by Goodman : 04-23-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
With the cap off, at idle, I don't really notice any bubbles....however, if I raise the rpm to around 3k, it starts to bubble out.

Quote:
I just spoke with my buddy that was helping me on it, and he indicated that when it was cool...there were no issues with water pushing out....it was only when it was warm (both starting with cap off and with cap on while driving). What does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
head gasket

Exactly.

I had a bad HG on mine, just like yours. Clean oil, no issues, but when I would floor it coolant would puke all over from the overflow tube. Ugh what a mess.

My HG issue (sounds like your too) is that combustion gasses are passing thru into the water jackets, pushing all coolant out. 15 psi of coolant pressure is going to lose agaisnt the 150 psi of combustion in whichever chamber the HG passage is cracked.

Not an easy fix, not a difficult one either. Just pick up a MLS gasket from Ben at WOT-Tech and new head bolts and do it.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
this is why i suggest you purchase a block tester from a local parts store. that will tell you once and for al lif you have exhaust gasses in your coolant system and you can rest easy.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #31
crankycowboy
GX Member

Good points guys, and thanks for all the follow-ups, greatly appreciated. I'll go the block test route to be sure, and if all comes back as everyone is suggesting...I'll start pulling the heads ASAP as a local shop has them in stock for exchange. Is that specifically what the "block tester" is called? How does it work? Are they strips?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #32
jawa