Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #41
crankycowboy
GX Member

crankycowboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
Did you use the original throttle body, upper intake, and same type gasket? If not, it is possible the flange opening for the IAC got accidently obstructed.

You may have a couple turns of adjustment possible on the screw before it goes out of spec (more than zero degrees). There is also a TPS relearn, iirc., but not usually needed.

Compare the two throttle body blades (does either or both have a hole drilled?), and are the mounting flanges the same?

The return spring on the throttle body is stronger and overrides the gas pedal return spring. The car should idle even with the cable off.

I don't think it's anything you caused, but looks difficult to adjust in the stock location. Can you get a flat feeler gauge to prop open the set screw slightly, while checking the TPS readout?

I did use the original upper intake; however, I believe the throttle body was "gummed" up more on the original so I compared the two and didn't notice any differences and swapped them and cleaned up the latter...but I could be wrong. I happen to have the one not on the car with me, and it does have a hole in the blade, but I will have to wait until I'm home to check the other. Like I said, the IAC valve moves in and out when I turn on/off the ignition, so shouldn't that take care of all of this as long as it's not sticking and it's working properly? I feel a lot better, and I'm obviously getting closer....but still a few "hiccups" especially if it SHOULD be able to run without the cable. I will certainly have to compare the throttle bodies as you suggest. The gaskets were indeed the same, and a new one came with the complete gasket kit I purchased.

Last edited by crankycowboy : 05-23-2012 at 01:26 PM.
crankycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #42
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankycowboy View Post
I did use the original upper intake; however, I believe the throttle body was "gummed" up more on the original so I compared the two and didn't notice any differences and swapped them and cleaned up the latter...but I could be wrong. I happen to have the one not on the car with me, and it does have a hole in the blade, but I will have to wait until I'm home to check the other. Like I said, the IAC valve moves in and out when I turn on/off the ignition, so shouldn't that take care of all of this as long as it's not sticking and it's working properly? I feel a lot better, and I'm obviously getting closer....but still a few "hiccups" especially if it SHOULD be able to run without the cable. I will certainly have to compare the throttle bodies as you suggest. The gaskets were indeed the same, and a new one came with the complete gasket kit I purchased.

imo i dont like the idea of messing with that adjustment... just doesnt feel right to me. i would think your IAC would be able to compinsate for it. that stop is probably only there to stop the blad from jamming into the TB and locking up.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #43
crankycowboy
GX Member

Quote:
Did you use the original throttle body, upper intake, and same type gasket? If not, it is possible the flange opening for the IAC got accidently obstructed.

You may have a couple turns of adjustment possible on the screw before it goes out of spec (more than zero degrees). There is also a TPS relearn, iirc., but not usually needed.

Compare the two throttle body blades (does either or both have a hole drilled?), and are the mounting flanges the same?

The return spring on the throttle body is stronger and overrides the gas pedal return spring. The car should idle even with the cable off.

I don't think it's anything you caused, but looks difficult to adjust in the stock location. Can you get a flat feeler gauge to prop open the set screw slightly, while checking the TPS readout?

AleroB888, well this just gets more and more fun. I got home and was able to check. The two throttle bodies are indeed different. I didn't remove the one currently on the car, but I pulled the breather box boot away and the throttle plate on the car is a solid plate while the one I have (which I believe is the one previously on the car) has a hole drilled through it as you mentioned some do. Could these slight differences be the cause of my issue? Yes, I know...there is one way to find out, but was looking for input.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #44
crankycowboy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
imo i dont like the idea of messing with that adjustment... just doesnt feel right to me. i would think your IAC would be able to compinsate for it. that stop is probably only there to stop the blad from jamming into the TB and locking up.

I agree, adjusting that stop is just compensating for the real problem....which I haven't nailed down yet. I did swing by a junk yard and picked up another IAC just for grins, with the same result. And I did verify once again that it is at least moving when turning ignition on and off.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #45
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankycowboy View Post
AleroB888, well this just gets more and more fun. I got home and was able to check. The two throttle bodies are indeed different. I didn't remove the one currently on the car, but I pulled the breather box boot away and the throttle plate on the car is a solid plate while the one I have (which I believe is the one previously on the car) has a hole drilled through it as you mentioned some do. Could these slight differences be the cause of my issue? Yes, I know...there is one way to find out, but was looking for input.

That hole in the plate will affect it, also check the throttle body flange at the IAC opening, some TB versions have no cutout for it on the flange.

You can just swap the plates with it on the car iirc, but I would take the whole unit off and inspect it.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #46
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
That hole in the plate will affect it, also check the throttle body flange at the IAC opening, some TB versions have no cutout for it on the flange.

You can just swap the plates with it on the car iirc, but I would take the whole unit off and inspect it.

why couldnt you just swap out whole throttle bodys?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #47
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
why couldnt you just swap out whole throttle bodys?

If the mounting flanges or IAC passage are different, he should definitely swap the original TB back in. But it might be of interest just to see if the plate fixes it. Then again, it can be tricky messing with the plate, so he's probably better off swapping the whole thing.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #48
AleroB888
GLS member

So what happened to this thing already?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #49
crankycowboy
GX Member

Quote:
So what happened to this thing already?

Sorry, I went out of town for the extended weekend. Well I did as you guys suggested and switched to the other throttle body, and I'm happy to say that everything works perfectly now. I'm truly amazed it made that much of a difference. I put them side by side, and literally the only difference I could find was the hole in the plate. See attached picture. I was able to remove the piece of rubber hose that was keeping the butterfly open and all is back to normal. In any case, I really appreciate you guys sticking it out with me and offering all the solutions throughout this rather painful process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (55.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #50
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Clear her corners!

I had too....

I'm glad everythings good now!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #51
zearchyo
GL Member

zearchyo is on a distinguished road
glad to hear u got everything solved

yeah right!
zearchyo is offline   Reply With Quote