Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-03-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
first i didn't use dynamat, i used edead, which is a much cheaper alternative to dynamat while doing the same thing. just everyone know's what dynamat is.

well i did my whole trunk. the floor, spare tire well and the sides, trunk lid (even disassembled the back part) used about 40sq feet in the trunk. the spare tire well has REALLY thin flimsy sheetmetal, so i doubled up on parts of that (the part near the muffler)

the end result. drone is down about 20% driving around town, a little quieter, but not a whole lot. its not bad around town. on the highway, its down at least 50% of what it was, with the radio on low volume i dont even hear the exhaust anymore

the other reason for sound deadning the trunk is i have 2 8's mounted free-air in the back dash. in addition to doing this, i braced the rear deck more because i noticed the whole back dash would move up and down when low bass notes hit. the subs play MUCH louder than before, it scared the crap out of me when i turned it on and the volume was up high. i still have a rattle at certain frequencies, that i will have to isolate at a later time. its not block shaking bass obviously, but its a good sub-midbass punch for cruising around, its exactly what i wanted, i didn't want somthing for showing off.

quieter exhaust
louder sub/midbass's...............

for $60 (and i still have 20sq left) and a saturday afternoon, im happy
Old 04-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #2
Kurt Zee

where can you get edead!?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
http://edesignaudio.com/category.php?type=damp

they sell 2 thickness, 45mil (what i got) and 70mil. if you've gota big system, id get the 70mil. i dont have much of a system, so i didn't need the thicker stuff, i just doubled up on certain area's

despite what they say, you do need a heat gun (good hairdryer will work)

ive soon to many people put this stuff on like they were water proofing a car, they dont put any slits in the material. it HAS to make a perfect bond to the sheetmetal, or it isn't doing anything. when going around sharp bends, even heating it doesn't stretch it enough to bond perfectly, in which case, you use a knife to slit it and push it down flat. its not as pretty as smooth layers, but its a neccesity in the corners. around minor imperfections you can heat it so it streches/shrinks to the sheetmetal. also, even if you dont think you need to heat it because its a perfectly flat surface, heat it anyways, it sticks better if you heat it while pushing it down

there were alot of areas that looked like they were perfect, but i slit it anyways because it was a corner, and i was able to push it down even further, just a fyi for anyone thinking of installing it.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought the frostking alternative today at home depot. Took forever to find but it was $15 for 15 ft^2 and I liked what I heard from the other thread.

edit: check out http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm I found it quite interesting.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #5
geedog66

get some fatmat off of ebay