Old 02-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #21
krippakrippa

Is there any way to take out the governer on the 2000 v-6 alero

Old 02-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #22
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
wrong forum man, moved to general performance. Yes, you can remove it on 3400 engines with an ASE chip. DHP was working on one, but its not out yet.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:47 PM   #23
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by Naich@Feb 23 2004, 05:39 PM
wrong forum man, moved to general performance. Yes, you can remove it on 3400 engines with an ASE chip. DHP was working on one, but its not out yet.
Where can that item be purchased?
Old 02-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #24
overdrive75

Just out of wonder, where are you going to legally open your car up above 107 mph?

Old 02-24-2004, 10:49 PM   #25
wy3134

Well I know many places I have wanted to open my car up farther, mainly interstate racing, but I agree for most street use its pointless to spend money solely to eliminate the governor.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:13 AM   #26
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
O-tay in looking thorough why the VSS cuts off at 108 and what have ya I have a question.......Has anyone with tires rated for over 108, what is that S rated?, asked the dealer to adjust the speed governor to the rating of the new tires, maybe some Z-rated fun? Just wondering, as this would be a legal and free mod to bypass teh 108 limit, not that nost need to <_<
Old 03-11-2004, 06:59 AM   #27
overdrive75

The dealer can't raise that value, it is in the Engine Calibration

Old 03-12-2004, 11:05 AM   #28
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Ok this was answered but what I was wondering is if anyone with tires rated for speed over 108 had asked the dealer to re-calibrate the speed limiter to correspond to the new tire rating. And I forgot what our tires come rated at.

This was based on the fact that according the the docs I saw, the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) tells the PCM how fast you are going and thus when to shut off the fuel/ignition based on what the stock tires are rated at. Basically the PCM shuts the car down b/c the of what the tires are rated at.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:36 AM   #29
mfuller

The dealer can not and will not adjust your speed limiter (unless you have just, verifiable cause, such as law enforcement or military use)....and even then, there are special hurdles that you must go directly through GM for.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:50 AM   #30
99blackalero

it doesnt matter what the tires are rated at...you could have four spare tires on and the most youd reach is 108, or have the best tires on and still go 108, like mfuller said..GM will not change the limiter for you, or you can just get a computer re-program for your car

Old 03-12-2004, 04:58 PM   #31
3.4Alero

Stock, 16" RS-A's come with a "V" rating, if I remember correctly. Not sure about any of the other stock tires.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #32
CocoaAlero

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.4Alero@Mar 12 2004, 04:58 PM
Stock, 16" RS-A's come with a "V" rating, if I remember correctly. Not sure about any of the other stock tires.
I'm sure the stock 15" wheels had S rated tires, Mine came with 16's and also had S rated Eagle LS tires on them. I think there was a sport package or something that came with V rated rubber like 3.4's

Old 03-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #33
3.4Alero

Yea, that's what I had

Old 03-17-2004, 09:47 PM   #34
StealthAlero

Quote:
Originally posted by 99blackalero@Mar 12 2004, 04:50 PM
it doesnt matter what the tires are rated at...you could have four spare tires on and the most youd reach is 108.
Depending on what your spare tires are rated. If they aren't rated to exceed 100mph your screwed.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:27 PM   #35
Final-Reality

I've posted a relatively easy way to disable the limiter yourself using a simple switch but nobody ever refers to it. OH well..

Old 03-24-2004, 11:42 PM   #36
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

If it's the VSS override switch thing its NOT legal, Besides I would want to know how fast I'm going.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:19 AM   #37
hurstalero
GX Member

hurstalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats the best way to ditch the top end limiter on a 3400 series Alero???

Weber
Daily Driver http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/537877 Modifications: window tint, front and rear strut tower braces, Sprint lowering springs, Magnaflow muffler, SLP air temperature module, mesh grill, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, Street Glow bulbs, MAP Enineering exhaust heat shield,Doctor Speed Stage 2 short ram intake, and a K&N cone filter.

Project http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/518009
Old 04-18-2004, 02:27 AM   #38
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Get a reprogrammed PCM!
Old 04-18-2004, 11:47 PM   #39
dadirtybulldog

use the search engine on this site... but when you seriously hurt yourself, mess up your car, or potentially kill yourself don't blame anyone on this site for showing ya how.... i hope you have some serious mods to your car if your planning on doing this, remember the stoke alero is made to go up to a certain speed to be stable on the road... i gotten mine up hundreds of times to cut-back limit and my car is pretty shakey with stock components... all i can say boys and girls is don't do this mod unless your doing it for some kind of legal racing or unless your one of the true and few bad-ass street modders who actually know it all about your car ... strut braces are a must have if you wanna make corners safely.... be careful and keep modding! :thumbsup:

Old 04-19-2004, 12:00 AM   #40
Pacho

Other mods should include buying more than R rated tires because the max speed for stock alero tires are 106 mph, most pirelli's and toyo's are Z rated (149 + mph)
Also, get a better suspension and brake upgrades.

Closed Thread