Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 02-19-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
Sportalero

Anyone know where I can find a new or somewhat decent 2.4 engine and manual tranny? The Aleros for sale in my town are either high-mileaged or preprogrammed dealership models. And they are ALL autos. I'm pretty sure i could just get the auto switched to a manual, but i need a good deal on a good engine. Any ideas?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
wy3134

Your not going to find a 2.4 setup in manual, only version that manual comes in is the ecotec. Your best bet is to buy a ecotec w/ manual instead of spending thousands to reprogram and get everything to fit and work.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:24 PM   #3
Final-Reality

uhm no, before the ECOTEC, the 2.4 Twin Cam came with the 5 speed manual..
Old 02-19-2004, 11:48 PM   #4
Sportalero

Did GM discontinue the 2.4? If so, why?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:41 PM   #5
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by wy3134@Feb 19 2004, 09:12 PM
Your not going to find a 2.4 setup in manual, only version that manual comes in is the ecotec. Your best bet is to buy a ecotec w/ manual instead of spending thousands to reprogram and get everything to fit and work.
OMG, my car doesn't exist :o

how will I get around
Old 02-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sportalero@Feb 19 2004, 10:48 PM
Did GM discontinue the 2.4? If so, why?
Yes, prodeuction of the nearly ten yr old 2.4L was ended and replaced with the 2.2 ecotec, which is supposed to be some wonderful new thing, form your own opinion there.

Go to car-parts.com and just punch in 2000 alero 2.4 engine and you will get TONS (46 pages) of places with engines from $400 to almost $2G. Just find a place close, cuz shipping an engine is expensive. Remember this engine came in cav, sunfires, GA, and aleros. If you want a new engine talk to your local dealer or go here VIN T, cost about 3G w/o core.

As for the tranny you can get on from a 00 cav, GA, or sunfire, or lookk for a 90-94 GA, calasis, with a getrag 282 tranny, both can be had for under $400. Problem now is you need something to control that new powertrain, fortunatelly you cna order a new ECM from that same site for ~$25. then take it to a dealer and have it flashed. Or get one of those expensive control boxes.

best bet is to try and get a front clip from a totalled late model cav, might be able to buy the whole car for less then 3G :thumbsup:
Old 02-22-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
Spy

ecotec owns the quad motors..... sorry but it's true.

honda b-series owns all quads
Old 02-26-2004, 02:02 AM   #8
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spy@Feb 22 2004, 10:17 PM

what makes you say this? the eco starts with substantilly less power. It does come pre-sleeved but the quad is a full cast block.

From my experience with the ecoes they are noisy, not nearly as powerful the the quad, unless you want to drive above 4500 RPM's constanly, even then the quad pulls very strong, esp the old HOs.

I can think of quite a few quads, esp the older ones, that in stock trim will smoke any B-series engine, on any chasis. If you are talking about potential well that is just a matter of budget, now isn't it <_<

If you have some specifics I'd love to hear em, Im not trying to flame just get the facts as Im not real familiar with either engine.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:46 PM   #9
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie+Feb 26 2004, 07:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fast Eddie @ Feb 26 2004, 07:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spy@Feb 22 2004, 10:17 PM

what makes you say this? the eco starts with substantilly less power. It does come pre-sleeved but the quad is a full cast block.

From my experience with the ecoes they are noisy, not nearly as powerful the the quad, unless you want to drive above 4500 RPM's constanly, even then the quad pulls very strong, esp the old HOs.

I can think of quite a few quads, esp the older ones, that in stock trim will smoke any B-series engine, on any chasis. If you are talking about potential well that is just a matter of budget, now isn't it <_<

If you have some specifics I'd love to hear em, Im not trying to flame just get the facts as Im not real familiar with either engine. [/b][/quote]
it's very cheap to build up a bseries honda motor that's a proven fact.

the ecotec isn't just the one 140hp motor either.

ecotec is substantially better how?

2.4L eco that's coming out is comparable if not better and as well as more advanced than your good ole quad 4 HO or W41 will ever be.

there's the 2.0 eco turbo motors which have oodles of potential

only eco moda that is lagging behind is the 2.2L eco.

I don't care to write a report, but I'm not bad mouthin a quad either. it was more of a random comment than anything...

come on.. I own a quad and enjoy it. It's just that there are other motors out there with crazy potential and support.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:20 AM   #10
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the eco has better factory supply of parts for performance. way more than the w-41 did. kinda shame but oh well.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:36 AM   #11
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Not trying to start nutin, just trying to get info, conversing 'bout cars. I know the B18 swap is the most popular swap going, and there is a ton of parts for em. The s13 sr20 swapping is a close second and climbing with drifting support. I just don't follow honda, im a nissan man maself.

Guess my initial thought, about the b-series, was correct they are just cheaper to mod, since there is a larger aftermarket, not as much straight out the box.

As for the eco having more potential, remember the aerotech, 1200 HP, set the land speed record back in the late '80, early '90s, and built on a quad platform eco has what? If eco is the new thing so be it, ain't that what that drag cav is running like 7's on?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:38 AM   #12
wy3134

I believe that is the eco that drag cav is running on...theres a team I read about in california working on the alero ecotec I believe trying to build it up to 800HP and there at about 700 currently....
Old 02-27-2004, 01:42 AM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
yep the cav is running the eco.

oh yea i remember the aerotech but those parts that they used on the quad never became available.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:04 AM   #14
Final-Reality

right out of the box it has a hydraulic roller valvetrain, which helps with frictional losses and is better for aggressive cam profiles, I don't think a roller follower exists for the QUAD, at least that I've ever heard of..

It also has stronger mains than a QUAD block does, which is probably why it can push such high boost and HP numbers in the cavy drag car...
Old 02-28-2004, 08:47 PM   #15
Sportalero

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Feb 28 2004, 03:04 PM
right out of the box it has a hydraulic roller valvetrain, which helps with frictional losses and is better for aggressive cam profiles, I don't think a roller follower exists for the QUAD, at least that I've ever heard of..

It also has stronger mains than a QUAD block does, which is probably why it can push such high boost and HP numbers in the cavy drag car...
So you're saying the 2.4L eco will be able to handle higher amounts of boost than the 2.4 quad?
Old 02-28-2004, 10:52 PM   #16
velocity

From what I've heard the con rods on the LD9 are made out of paper mache...of course I can't confirm that until I get my turbo setup installed....hopefully some time this summer...
Old 02-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #17
Final-Reality

Actually the pistons are the first ones to have a hole punched in them, but the connecting rods arent much better... so if you replace the pistons, replace the rods while you've got the motor apart..

A totally stock 2.4 LD9 can only handle about 6-8psi (reliably) of boost before you risk blowing the motor
Old 02-29-2004, 02:00 PM   #18
Sportalero

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Feb 29 2004, 06:04 PM
Actually the pistons are the first ones to have a hole punched in them, but the connecting rods arent much better... so if you replace the pistons, replace the rods while you've got the motor apart..

A totally stock 2.4 LD9 can only handle about 6-8psi (reliably) of boost before you risk blowing the motor
I'm not sure. Was the last sentence supposed to be in response to what i asked because if it was, uh............you still didnt answer it :unsure:
Old 03-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #19
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by Sportalero@Feb 29 2004, 02:00 PM
Was the last sentence supposed to be in response to what i asked because if it was, uh............you still didnt answer it :unsure:
Sorry forgot to reply to your question too... the bottom end is built stronger on the ECOTEC than the QUAD blocks were, but that doesnt mean the QUAD blocks can't handle large amounts of boost with some high quality bearings and high strength main caps.. a guy on j-body.org (mike karas) runs 25psi through his (highly worked over) 2.4 TwinCam and makes over 400HP... but there's no saying how long the motor will last for or how much he drives it because, well, nobody has really done that before (that I know of) with a QUAD motor before him, so there's no really good documentation on how well it will stand up. The ECOTEC on the other hand has been (sort of), with the GM-back drag racers pushing something like 30+lbs of boost through a de-stroked billet crank on an otherwise stock bottom end, for 25 passes before re-builds. (And even then apparently they didn't require a rebuild)

Edit: sorry, I forgot that 7/16" main studs replaced the stock main bolts at 350HP when they were testing the engine, even though they hadn't yet failed
(you can read the entire article here if you're interested..)
Old 03-02-2004, 12:03 AM   #20
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

umm all pro drag racers in NHRA pro levels rebuild there engines every weekend and some guys do cluthes between every run so I think the motor was either overworked to prove a point or had a VEEERRY long weekend.