Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
zlj1989
GX Member

zlj1989 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to zlj1989 Send a message via MSN to zlj1989
Unhappy rust

I have a '99 Alero 4-door sedan. I've had the car for a little over 3 years now. I have always taken great care of it. It's washed often and has the "wax on, wax off" put on it at the beginning of spring and toward the end of fall every year. Sadly, this past winter, I've notice it starting to rust. There has been bubbles in the paint forming on either side of the car between the metal part of the trunk and the plastic part of the bumper that wraps around the side of the car. Also, there is a spot right behind my rear driver's side door and part of the rear door. All I'm wondering is there any product that is good for killing rust or is good for helping prevent its spread? I love this car and I want to keep it for a while because it only has 92,000 miles right now.

Last edited by zlj1989 : 02-27-2008 at 04:50 PM.
zlj1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
primer.

Have a good day

Last edited by AGT : 02-27-2008 at 05:04 PM.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
i have it rusting in all the same areas...mine's a 2000.

they have products at auto parts stores that neutralize rust and turn it into a less corrosive substance.

just go into the place and ask about anti-rust stuff.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
you cant just brush on a product with out fixing the rust, even por-15 needs the metal to be preped before you can apply it
if this is surface rust here is what i do, iuse my angle grinder with a roloc disc, remove the rust, if the metal is pitted use a finishing glazing putty to remove the pitting, feather out the area using the D.A. with 180 or 240 apply a primer that has corrosin protection in the product like PPG`S ncp 271
this is a insight, doing this takes experience in body work, ya cant just pick up a grinder and grind a panle with out knowing what your doing
so hope this helped a bit
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

taken from murray's auto parts website:

"Chemical rust converters, such as Extend, from Loctite, transforms red, flaky rust to a hard, dark-grey compound that prevents further rusting and forms a stable base for paint. To use a chemical rust remover, scrape and wire brush away as much of the flaky rust as possible. Remove oil or grease with a solvent such as lacquer thinner, then wet the area with rust remover, keeping it wet for about 2 hours, then hose away the residue. For stubborn rust, you might need to cover the area overnight with rags soaked in rust remover. Next, brush on a coat of converter following the instructions on the label. Once it's dry, the area is ready for painting."

Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
i dont car what "murray`s" says lol i know from experience that rust will only go away when removed, not just coated with a product, you can read all the info you want but your going to get the correct advice from me, i have seen that done and fixed cars that people did that to their cars
so its wrong
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
Vinman
GL Member

Vinman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vinman Send a message via Yahoo to Vinman
what i've heard, and what my I'm gonna have done to my rust, is what bdyman said, grind it down to bare metal, and remove all rust in the area, use rust inhibiting primer (the no- rust stuff) then paint, then clearcoat (i'm sure there are other steps)
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

well, howabout we just call this a draw.

bdyman's way is most likely better but also much more expensive considering the labor, time and materials needed.

murray's way is the budget-minded way for a person with a car thats by far not a showpeice but gets the person from A to B.

i know the murray's way works because my uncle used it on my aunt's white grand prix and it looks relatively decent and has been rust free since he did it 2 years ago.

to wrap it up zlj1989, if you have the money and care about how your car looks, get it done the better way.

if you don't have money and just want the rust to stop, do what you can to stop it from progressing and have it fixed the professional way when you finally do have the money.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
eff salty roads.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote