Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > At The Track

Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Old News: Clearing out the Backlog

4/22/2009, Tech and Test Day, Bandimere Speedway (alt. 5860 ft.) 65 deg F.

Basically had the same stuff as last year except for the fuel system. I had to pass tech, and get at least a couple runs in before going down to Kentucky……..

Racetronix in-tank pump, Aeromotive 13107 AFPR, 28 lb. injectors, M&H 7.5 in. slicks, Autolite 104's gapped to .040, full exhaust, K&N CAI, 60-70 deg. F.

Yay, passed tech inspection!

1) 14.110 @ 97.19, 2.079 60 ft.
first run of the year

2) 14.057 @ 98.81, 2.109 60 ft.
bypassed air filter

I had told myself I needed to at least run a 14.0x up here if I expected to get anywhere near a 12.99x at sea level, so that run built up my confidence a bit. As the years go on, you have to figure wear and tear will take its toll.

Two days before starting on the trip, I started having electrical problems--lights dimming, etc. I had just replaced the alternator with a rebuilt from Autozone last year, so the warning signs were familiar. It was still under the store warranty, and I got a free replacement, brought it back home and installed it. Then I noticed there was a slight wobble when I gave the pulley a spin. Rats! Back to Autozone, traded up to a brand-new one, brought it back home and installed it. Other than that, no other major prep was done.

It’s kind of neat when you’re driving east through Kansas and get close to the Topeka area. During one long stretch of I70 there, it’s like the car just plunges into a region of rich, dense air. The vacuum gauge drops a few points deeper, the wind resistance is a bit more forceful, sounds are brighter and seem louder (after your ears pop) and the car’s idle gets more “powerful.” This is a lot for the PCM to contend with over a span of a few hours. Not unusual for the car to stall pulling off into a gas station. Normally when I get to Kentucky I just disconnect the battery overnight, reset fuel trims the next day.

5/09/2009, O’Reilly Sat. Night Racing, Beech Bend Raceway Park, 65 Deg F.

When I was out here last September, I found that the setup was at its limit as far as providing enough fuel for the available airflow. So the plan was to keep it in street trim -- running full exhaust and air filter, and add timing in small increments. I started with 18* timing at WOT, compared to 15* at WOT on my previous best run.

1) 13.245 @ 100.96, 2.025 60 ft.
Lost just a bit of traction here. The small-diameter slicks are tricky to hook up, I have to ease out then nail it at the right time. Hard to say if the D.R.’s would do any better under the same conditions. Beat previous best by a few hundredths.

2) 13.093 @ 101.04, 1.932 60 ft.
When I got within a couple hundred feet of the finish line, there was a terrific shock and shudder coming from the front wheels/axles, almost felt like I blew both tires or something -- scary as hell…. It happened so fast I can’t remember if I reflexively got off the throttle or not. Then I got the slip and saw the time, and thought, OK, that’s enough for tonight. But, no! They got my car # wrong on the slip. I would have to run another pass to back up the time.

3) 13.099 @ 101.64, 1.941 60 ft.
Well, it’s not a 12, but it did back up the other time with a 13.0xx, and the car made it down the track without incident. "Load it up, drive the 90-plus miles back to Fort Knox, consider yourself damn lucky…"

266 timeslips, and counting.........................

somewhere in Kansas.....or maybe Missouri

Last edited by AleroB888 : 07-30-2013 at 01:33 AM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Those are some nice times, 13's are quite respectable. And I know all about those autozone alternators, the voltage regulators on them are junk
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Damn, so close. I hope to be getting that close soon. Weird how low your trap speeds are for the times. Guess it's just how the acceleration curve works with different engine/boost combinations.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Very nice and respectible times

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
mfuller

Small diameter, sticky tires hurt trap speeds. Aren't you on 15's for the track, Greg?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
yes he is on 15s and i'm pretty sure they are a 24.5in slick....

anyways, this is old news, he ran these times 3 months ago, and i don't think he is headed back to kentucky until 2010.......
Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
hey i live in topeka somewhat close to heartland let me know if you go there because I've always wanted to see another alero with something done to it other that sounds system and underglow
wrestlingandrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Damn, so close. I hope to be getting that close soon. Weird how low your trap speeds are for the times. Guess it's just how the acceleration curve works with different engine/boost combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Small diameter, sticky tires hurt trap speeds. Aren't you on 15's for the track, Greg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
yes he is on 15s and i'm pretty sure they are a 24.5in slick.…

They are 23 x 7.5 - 15’s on Malibu 9-spoke wheels, weighing 26 lbs per wheel/tire combo. I hit 4th gear before the end of the track, if I leave it in drive.
I do not make any adjustments in the PCM for the difference in diameter. The speedometer read 106-107 trap speed, when it was actually 101.
My best actual trap speed at sea level was 102.77, iirc.

So far I can’t get a better 60 ft with them compared to my D.R.s, which are BFG 225/50R15, but those are now mounted on Cutlass 15’s, and are 24.1 diameter (I think), and that combo weighs in at about 36.5 lbs. Stock is about 40 lbs.

I have run about identical times with both lately up here.

Ion, I’m not running as much power as your car, but probably have more area under the torque curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post

anyways, this is old news, he ran these times 3 months ago, and i don't think he is headed back to kentucky until 2010.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingandrunning View Post
hey i live in topeka somewhat close to heartland let me know if you go there because I've always wanted to see another alero with something done to it other that sounds system and underglow

Might do something in September, Mike (N2Olds) wants to caravan to Topeka so he can run a 12 in his truck…. Might do that, or go down to Kentucky. Not that the car would be faster, but I’d like to get a video. We’ll see.

Last edited by AleroB888 : 08-10-2009 at 09:20 PM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
Ion, I’m not running as much power as your car, but probably have more area under the torque curve.
Ah yes that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
I do not make any adjustments in the PCM for the difference in diameter. The speedometer read 106-107 trap speed, when it was actually 101.
You should, it seems to throw things off with the VSS pulses wrong. When I ran with my drag radials which were quite a bit shorter in diameter than my normal wheels, the car didn't seem to perform as it should, considering a lot of things are dependent on VSS like the shift times.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote