Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-30-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
AleroBloke

Thumbs down

I am wondering if any of these mufflers on ebay will work or have there been horror stories. I want to get a magnaflow muffler on my car, I know getting a whole catback is so expensive right now, I just want that low deep sound. I want to know which muffler on ebay will work, or which muffler will work the best, please help out. I don't like that import scratchy sound, i like that low mean growl..hehe..thanks a bunch

Edit:::: I know ther eare way too many, I don't know which brand is better, thats why i'm asking, I will let everyone know I like that lower tone grown, not the high tone import "honda" growl.. haha..but yeha, I like magnaflow, otto, flowmaster..something that will give me that sound, I know it wont give me much power, until i get a catback..but i want to come as close to a deep sound as i can..
Old 01-30-2005, 11:36 PM   #2
Grouch

uh wow. Way too many mufflers on eBay to even venture a guess as to what there is good and what to avoid. Need to be more specific. Names, models, links, etc.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
the main mufflers/exhaust people we use on our cars (most of us anyway) are flwomaster, magnaflow, slp. and borla :thumbsup:
Old 01-30-2005, 11:52 PM   #4
AleroBloke

This might be in a FAQ but, what size inlet and outlet? i am not to familiar with exhausts.thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 12:09 AM   #5
AleroBloke

something like this maybe?

Muffler

how would this work?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:23 AM   #6
SilverBullet256

well first off, what engine you have?, and what setup do you want, just a normal single looking outlet(like the way stock is), or a dual setup like what red dog has(which isnt a true dual, it is a single muffler with an outlet on each side of the bumper) if you want a dual setup then go with slp or flowmaster, both sound great and flow really well, for the 4 banger i would suggest the magnaflow, but if you really wanna get a full cat back someday i would save up a little more and go to a local car shop and have them install 2.5 inch pipe all the way back with a flowmastermuffler, camaro style if you want dual, i got mine done parts and labor for 300 that way, and with performance and sound, i could never be happier, o yeah, go with 2.5 inch piping for everything, anyhting smaller is too restrictive, and anything bigger is just pointless with more cost, hope this helps :thumbsup:
Old 01-31-2005, 12:24 AM   #7
SilverBullet256

i just remembered what topis this is in, of course you have the 3400 :P
Old 01-31-2005, 08:41 AM   #8
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Hit the buy it now button, it is only $9.00 us. I think the tips might be to big to fit in the stock cut out in the bumper.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by VTOLDS@Jan 31 2005, 07:41 AM
Hit the buy it now button, it is only $9.00 us. I think the tips might be to big to fit in the stock cut out in the bumper.
he is getting AAS......... :thumbsup:
Old 01-31-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
this seems to be the prob is that the Seller makes price low but shipping high for 2 reasons. Number 1; The shipping wont have to be refunded leaving you with roughly 7 bucks after restocking fees saying you dont like it and reason 2; The seller fees are much lower for him. issed:

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
It might sound OK since you have the res on the car. That is where most of your sound comes from but just get a flowmaster, or something else. Don't buy one of these things on eBay. Not worth it.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
AleroBloke

Redog, I think your right, I am saving up to get a Catback in about 4-5 months, I spent most of my "mod" money on Kyles AAS kit he was selling, but I was just looking for the "sound" specifically more than upgrade, HP, and brand. Just something to give me that Deep low growl, just to fake people out, and think i have something awesome under the car, until i get my cat, so basically i'm just wanting to "pose" and then when I did save up enough money, I can get the cat. but right now, i'm just looking for somehting cheap and the specific sound, thats all iwanted help with

when i do get my cat, what would be better, I know there is a debate of flow. vs magna. i know it might just be personal opinion, but in this case, i have none, i just want to know what would be the best in tone and hp gain.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:10 AM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
What kind depends on you. I think Magnaflow is owned by Flowmaster and might have some sound bites on their web site

I was going to get a "40" but after hearing it I bought the "80"

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #14
AleroBloke

what kind of tone does that provide, and hp gain? i like the 80 as well
Old 03-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #15
alero440
GLS member

alero440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero440 Send a message via MSN to alero440 Send a message via Yahoo to alero440
Quote:
Originally posted by AleroBloke@Jan 31 2005, 12:09 AM
something like this maybe?

Muffler

how would this work?
Thats the just like the one I have on my car. My boyfriend got it $25 to put on his Nissan. He didn't like it so I took it. It has a nice deep rumble sound to it when it idles and when you go, people turn there heads. It's kinda loud on the e-way, but not annoying like a Honda would be. Replacing the stock muffler with that also helped a little with pick up and go. If you want to go cheap something like that is the one. It also looks like a stock exhaust if you don't having it hanging past the bumper.

RIP OMGGMPOWAH 04/09/04-10/29/07

2003 Mazda 6s- redfire metallic- loaded and ready for fun!

"This bitch is drunk!" -me about myself at Killbear Prov. Park '07

alero440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #16
bluephoAm

Speaking of Hondas.. I heard a Hatchback yesterday.. from 5 blocks away. I'm not sure if it had a turbo or 12-inch diameter pipes. Maybe he just took off the exhaust manifold because it is so restrictive.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #17
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
just search flowmaster 80 on ebay, it will turn up something, you will get a good deal and it will be authentic not imitaion, then you will be able to use that muffler when you get new pipes bent up.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 PM   #18
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
sound is debate-able, its personal preference. but i dont understand why you'd uprade to 2.5" if your putting a flowmaster camaro muffler on, they arn't really that free-flowing, the muffler becomes more of a restriction that the pipe.for performance, go with a borla or magnaflow muffler, both make camaro style mufflers for cheap and flow much better. if your going dual tip, you can still get a good deal on a magnaflow muffler (the borla's are to long)

http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/catbacksystems1.html

about $140 shipped IF you want the tips already on it like the one you showed.

i just got my magnaflow today, im considering just putting it on the stock pipes for now, and upgrade later, but ill probably upgrade to 2.5" and get it over with

id go 2.25 mandrell bent, or 2.5 crush bent personally

oh yeah, GET STAINLESS STEEL mufflers and tips, they'll last forever. especially if you live where it snows, my last cars aluminum dynomax started to rust in less than a year
Old 03-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #19
jiffy

Quote:
Originally posted by AleroBloke@Jan 30 2005, 11:33 PM
I like that
lower tone grown, not the high tone import "honda" growl..
low tone growl, high tone howl :P
Old 03-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #20
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a fart can off of ebay for my Geo. I payed like $22 shipped for it. I saw it in a shop here in Dayton selling for $120. It was a Bosal single 4" tip. I was wanting it to sound real high pitch ricey sounding but the damn has a nice growl to it and when I hit 8000 rpm has a howl like nothing else.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote