Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 02-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
AleroBloke

OKay okay, so i am breaking down and getting a Cat back system, I know i just wanted to replace the stock muffler, with a shiney newer one. haha. But, I am gonna just buy all the mufflers and stuff, and have a shop bend the pipes for me, What would i need, I know thatthe look and sound i'm going for is specific, but, I don't want a really agressive sound, I want a low deep powerful sound. my questions are
What do i need? Catalytic Converter? Mufflers? how many mufflers, which is the best muffler? Anything will help me to get me going, pretty much, I want a parts list, cuz i don't know what i'm gonna buy, i'm just gonna take a list and go shopping for the best deal. thanks a bunch
Old 02-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i suggest getting a new cat (just a catco or carsound, you dont need an expensive "high flow") and a flowmaster muffler, the series depends on how loud you want it. i used a "camaro style" muffler so i could have dual outlets.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
get slp piping then fab up the rear to whatever you want.........my whole catback setup only cost me $250..........
Old 02-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
FormulaNERD
GLS member

dont you have a fartcan though man? flowmaster will run him a little more, and i think the slp piping was around 120? my exhaust shop mandrel bent me 2.75 piping for 80 total.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD@Feb 2 2005, 04:57 PM
dont you have a fartcan though man? flowmaster will run him a little more, and i think the slp piping was around 120? my exhaust shop mandrel bent me 2.75 piping for 80 total.
180 shipped for the SLP, and i do as of right now have a fart can...........will be coming off with my kit as well...................
Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #6
FormulaNERD
GLS member

yea, the SLP piping is nice, it all depends on what you can find locally, for some people 180 might be cheap or expensive in comparison to what they can get locally.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
AleroBloke

yeah, a local "Master Muffler" quoted me 120 for 2.5" piping. 2.5" is pretty normal right? Well, I dunno I was thinking about a deeper sounding muffler, then sticking on some otto racing muffs at the end. or somethng like that.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #8
FormulaNERD
GLS member

yea, 2.5 is most common, and i'd go with flowmaster or magnaflow.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
AleroBloke

i'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to cars, I just spend the money and then do some do-it-your self jobs here and there, but. So I am gonna buy a flowmaster 80 series and then two other muffers cuz i want the guy thats piping my exhaust to Y the ends and then i'm gonna put a muffler on each piped end,does that make sense?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
FormulaNERD
GLS member

makes sense, if he can fit 2 80's under there. shouldnt be a problem though.... why 2 mufflers if i may ask?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #11
American Ghost

If you want to spend the money, rsmracing.com has a high flow cat back system the only downside is you have to go to them for the install, sorry to anyone who is real diy.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #12
AleroBloke

I dunno really what i'm doing, I just see these cars with two mufflers, is this not the set up? the guy at the muffler shop says i could do it? I dunno tell me
Old 02-03-2005, 01:13 AM   #13
FormulaNERD
GLS member

i dont know, i have one muffler with dual outlets...
Old 02-03-2005, 02:55 AM   #14
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
What you could do if you're going with the 2.5" pipe and want it a little quieter is get 1 or 2 2.5" resonators or glasspacks and have the muffler shop weld them into the piping before the muffler. they're straight thru so they wont cause any more backpressure, they'll just quiet the tone and interior noise down a little. as for the muffler, you could get the single muffler like the flowmaster 80 and run dual tips out the back, or you could split the piping over the axle with a Y-pipe and run pipes to dual mufflers which you'll see under the bumper.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:03 AM   #15
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
By the way..anybody know the diameter on the SLP piping?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #16
AleroBloke

Who has this set up? how does it perform?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:44 PM   #17
AleroBloke

top one work or bottom one more common, I know i know, paint sucks , i have no skills.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #18
AleroSS

SLP no longer offers their piping only kit
Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #19
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
Quote:
Originally posted by AleroBloke@Feb 3 2005, 11:44 AM
top one work or bottom one more common, I know i know, paint sucks , i have no skills.
top one.

Thats what im putting in this spring.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #20
FormulaNERD
GLS member

i have the top one in the second paint you posted.

i'm thinking of selling my setup, i want something louder. might switch all the pipe to 3" and run two magnaflows (only gonna run 2 mufflers to keep some backpressure w/ the 3")