Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #41
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
I think there is a sticky, but its not worth it IMO.....
Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #42
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
It's DEF worth it if you need a new engine. No sense is using the shitty 3400 when you can get the 3500. Total cost of the swap for me was about $900.....575 for the engine, 400 for the swap kit from milzy and a few other "tools" needed for the swap. I'm averaging about 24mpg city and highway which isn't much worse than the 3400....i got about 25 with the 3400. Reliability is MUCH better with the 3500.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #43
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Id swap a 3900 manual.. Makes 240 hp and 240 tq with the vvt thing and torque curve is crazy on it...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #44
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Got mine from a junkyard with 25k on it....runs PERFECT. Nothing wrong with getting them from there. Good luck with the swap....take your time and make sure you did everything right.

Did i ever said that engine from junkyard was no good? no!
All i am saying is to be careful , you know better be safe then sorry...

If i can't be sure of something or any doubts what so ever i let it go , i take no chances , specially with money...

But this is what i don't get , from what i can understand he want to swap the 3500 in the car with the 3400 heads on it with the bad valve seals?

Then that is a big waste of time & money since he'll have to fix the head anyways to put it in on the 3500 , might as well just keep the 3400 engine & fix the bad valve seals & save lots of money
For the money spend better swap the entire 3500 & forget about the 3400 engine parts IMO

Quote:
Got mine from a junkyard with 25k on it....runs PERFECT. Nothing wrong with getting them from there. Good luck with the swap....take your time and make sure you did everything right.

25k... maybe , maybe not?
If you can't see the engine in the car it's would be impossible for anyone to know the real mileage of the engine & specially if you can't start it to see how it run's

Worst case if i couldn't test/start the engine before buying it i would probably ask them (or do it myself) to take out the spark plugs & see how good or bad they are that would give me a basic idea of the engine before i buy

Last edited by Goodman : 05-02-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #45
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
Did i ever said that engine from junkyard was no good? no!
All i am saying is to be careful , you know better be safe then sorry...

If i can't be sure of something or any doubts what so ever i let it go , i take no chances , specially with money...

But this is what i don't get , from what i can understand he want to swap the 3500 in the car with the 3400 heads on it with the bad valve seals?

Then that is a big waste of time & money since he'll have to fix the head anyways to put it in on the 3500 , might as well just keep the 3400 engine & fix the bad valve seals & save lots of money
For the money spend better swap the entire 3500 & forget about the 3400 engine parts IMO

I think he ment the intake manifolds...
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #46
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
In stock form yes, ported is another story.

Sorry! just got a few questions...

If both are ported the 3500 (LX9) should outperform the 3400 ported engine
What about the 3400 block with the upper parts of the 3500 on it would that perform as good as a ported 3500?

While we are on the subject , the 3500 (LX9) from 2004-2007 are base on the 3400 engine & the 3500 (LZ4) from 2006-2010 are base on the 3900 engine

Wouldn't be better to get the LZ4 as you would get more HP out if it since you could "over size" the block cylinders the get close to an ~3.9l + doing the top heads
Unless that engine is to different to fit right in the car using the same transmission?

Other question is the computer/chip inside the car would that need to be change?
& where is the computer chip located on the Alero?

Just curious...

Last edited by Goodman : 05-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #47
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
IMO It's DEF worth it if you need a new engine. No sense is using the shitty 3400 when you can get the 3500. Total cost of the swap for me was about $900.....575 for the engine, 400 for the swap kit from milzy and a few other "tools" needed for the swap. I'm averaging about 24mpg city and highway which isn't much worse than the 3400....i got about 25 with the 3400. Reliability is MUCH better with the 3500.

fixed.... As I said IMO I don't think its worth it, I can think of $400 that I would rather put into the 3400, especially if you are gonna use the 3400 upper you might as well keep the whole 3400. Also reliability, the 3400 is super reliable once the LIM gaskets are fixed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
Sorry! just got a few questions...

If both are ported the 3500 (LX9) should outperform the 3400 ported engine
What about the 3400 block with the upper parts of the 3500 on it would that perform as good as a ported 3500?

While we are on the subject , the 3500 (LX9) from 2004-2007 are base on the 3400 engine & the 3500 (LZ4) from 2006-2010 are base on the 3900 engine

Wouldn't be better to get the LZ4 as you would get more HP out if it since you could "over size" the block cylinders the get close to an ~3.9l + doing the top heads
Unless that engine is to different to fit right in the car using the same transmission?

Other question is the computer/chip inside the car would that need to be change?
& where is the computer chip located on the Alero?

Just curious...

All out ported race heads for boost, 3400 is superior.....

I can get 3.7 out of the 3400, the parts are in my garage for my race block..

Last edited by kwhauck : 05-02-2012 at 11:05 PM.
kwhauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #48
jawa