Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
FrenkyBoii
GX Member

FrenkyBoii is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Strange noise from my brake when i drive..

It seems to be a metal noise, when my brake start to get hot (like after 15min) i can heard a noise from my front driver side wheel. But, when i brake i can't heard the noise. It's just when i drive. It's Like a pulse noise.. faster i go faster the noise is. I check my caliper and my brake and its seems to be OK (no stuck and my pad are still good).
the bearing hub? my pad are not good?

if someone have an idea of what i can check please..

thanks in advance
FrenkyBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenkyBoii View Post
It seems to be a metal noise, when my brake start to get hot (like after 15min) i can heard a noise from my front driver side wheel. But, when i brake i can't heard the noise. It's just when i drive. It's Like a pulse noise.. faster i go faster the noise is. I check my caliper and my brake and its seems to be OK (no stuck and my pad are still good).
the bearing hub? my pad are not good?

if someone have an idea of what i can check please..

thanks in advance

I had the same noise start on me. if by noise u mean like a humming, then its wheel bearing
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
FrenkyBoii
GX Member

i'm not sure if it's a humming sound, but it's sound like two parts of metal which rubs

do you know a way to check the wheel bearing? to be sure? and thanks for the help!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i'm not sure if it's a humming sound, but it's sound like two parts of metal which rubs

do you know a way to check the wheel bearing? to be sure? and thanks for the help!

One method to check the wheel bearing, is to turn first to the left, then to the right. When you turn left, you unload the right wheel bearing. If it was making noise driving normal, then the noise would probably stop. At the same time, you load down the left wheel bearing, and if it is the problem, the noise might get louder. and of course vicey versey for turning the other way.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
pulsing noise like metal rubbing and goes away when braking, might be a warped brake rotor.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Have you hit any large potholes or things that jammed your wheels badly? I popped a curb one time and bent a clip that was on the calipers to give me a metal on metal noise. If you can, put it up and spin the wheels and see if you can locate the noise. A shop will be happy to do it for you as well and it didn't cost me anything or much at all.

Wheel bearings are very distinct. Growling, rumbling, grinding sound but low and gravelly when increasing speed. Remember the old stationary workout bikes that took forever to get going on? Start out with a "brrr-rrr-rr-rr" sound. Something akin to that.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
FrenkyBoii
GX Member

alright thanks guy for your help i'll check this and hope to comeback with something!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
FrenkyBoii
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
Have you hit any large potholes or things that jammed your wheels badly? I popped a curb one time and bent a clip that was on the calipers to give me a metal on metal noise. If you can, put it up and spin the wheels and see if you can locate the noise. A shop will be happy to do it for you as well and it didn't cost me anything or much at all.

Wheel bearings are very distinct. Growling, rumbling, grinding sound but low and gravelly when increasing speed. Remember the old stationary workout bikes that took forever to get going on? Start out with a "brrr-rrr-rr-rr" sound. Something akin to that.

you have it right XanderWiFi! There was a clip that was on the caliper and give me and metal on metal noise. i check it and replace de clip and no more noise! thanks man really appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
pulsing noise like metal rubbing and goes away when braking, might be a warped brake rotor.

I second this.

Sounds like the typical GM disc brake pulsation issue. When you press on the brakes above about 45 MPH, do you feel any feedback in the pedal or steering wheel?

FQuick - updated all the time
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
FrenkyBoii
GX Member

yeah i got this problem too i think lol i got a little feedback in the pedal.. so my rotor should be warped?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT3 View Post
I second this.

Sounds like the typical GM disc brake pulsation issue. When you press on the brakes above about 45 MPH, do you feel any feedback in the pedal or steering wheel?

I third that
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
AndyT3
GL Member

Quote:
yeah i got this problem too i think lol i got a little feedback in the pedal.. so my rotor should be warped?

Most likely yes, the rotor is warped. Do you feel the most feedback in the steering wheel itself or more in the pedal and the seat (from the rest of the car (ie. rear))?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
FrenkyBoii
GX Member

the most feedback come from the pedal .. not in the steering wheel
Old 04-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
AndyT3
GL Member

If its mostly in the pedal and not the steering wheel, then your back rotors most likely need to be turned (shaved back down so their flat on both sides) or replaced.