Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-30-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
exnine@gmail.com
GX Member

exnine@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to exnine@gmail.com
Alright. So when I first got my car. I was happy with the stock sound setup. But as time passed I wanted something a little heavier. So I happened to get a small sony Xplod amp from a friend for free it's just a 500 watt amp. I'm not sure of all of the specs on it.

So then I rolled in to pep boys and bought this "electra" brand subs it had a nice looking little box. and at the time. Anything was better. They have two 12" subs with tweeters and mids. and these little flashy neon lights. ect. so they were 80 bucks. I figured what the hell.

So, I've got some use out of them. But it is once again time to move on.

Today I picked up another sony xplod amp except this one is a 1000 watt. and I got it for 100 bucks. I'd Like to use both of the amps. maybe the bigger one for the subs. and the smaller ones for my 6X9's or something. I'm not sure yet.

Could I get any reccommendations from this point on? I don't want to buy something I'm going to regret. I think that's highly impossible at this point considering where I'm comming from. But I have to keep reminding myself that I am broke right now.

I'm in to Rock music. I've heard that the 10's were better because they are smaller, and have a quicker recoil so that they are less "sloppy". I have heard some JL's and I was very Impressed. My friend has one 10" JL that blows both of mine away if that puts things in perspective... anyways please help.

ps. sorry its so long. Its late at night and I have nothing else to do.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
I run 3 rockford fosgate hx2's with a 1600 watt kenwood excelon and it hits hard, yes in my opinion 10s have a stronger punch, when it comes to car audio save your money and take your time, look, listen, and learn, when you make one secton sound better oyu have to make the next section sound better, and no matter what you do, you will always want something better.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i got two 10" fosgate HE2's off ebay. (400W RMS 800W Peak) for $100 each. Lanzar 1400W 4 channel amp from www.etronics.com for like 120.

i also favor rock/metal. those sound great. not a bad price either.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
I've got a jl 19 w7 and a jl amp in the bazzar... it's loud... gauranteed to be a step up from pep boys.

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

violentrapture is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to violentrapture
Just a quick comment - driver size doesn't have anything to do with how "sloppy" the bass sounds - an 18" driver can be just as quick as a 10" driver. What matters more than anything is the install.
Cheers,
Collin
Old 01-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not gonna laugh so long as you never buy car audio from pep boys ever again.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
exnine@gmail.com
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eag182@Jan 30 2006, 11:01 AM
I'm not gonna laugh so long as you never buy car audio from pep boys ever again.
Haha. Deal.

I went to have it installed. And I asked the guy who did it how it sounded... He looked at me and said "It sounds like poop what were you expecting a miracle?"
Old 01-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
bigd6983

id say if money is an obstacle......get one 10w0, you can get the sub for under a hundred bucks......then go get a box at some stereo place.......a single 10 box shouldnt be too expensive, shoot my dual 12 inch box cost me 25 bucks.......id say use that 1000 watt amp but tone it down(turn the gain down).......jl doesnt require a lot of power, i think it recommends 125 rms, but you can push 150-175 with no worry's........the more power you throw at it yes the harder it might hit but the shorter the life its going to have......listening to rock music i gurantee you will like that sub.......get a decent sized box, a sealed with maybe 1-1.2 cubic feet, power it with what i recommended and i gurantee that sub will last a long time......
Old 01-31-2006, 02:19 AM   #9
exnine@gmail.com
GX Member

Cool. Thanks for your help. that makes sense.

HOWEVER. I'm finishing up a computer job that Is going to have a pay off of around two - three thousand. I'm doing alot to my car. I also may have a possible buyer on my Fiero which is another thousand.

So. I may not have to be so "cheap". the main thing Is that I have to compete with my best friend. Hes got two pioneer 10's. and some 1600 watt amp. The guy at the shop hes buying them from says a hes gotten nice ranks at competitions with them.

So I need something to compete with my friend. I just want to save as much money as possible. =D
Old 01-31-2006, 07:21 AM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
i'd say at that rate, check the bazaar here.... some sweet stuff cheap there.

also, last time i checked, pioneer makes great headunits, but speakers and subs are middle of the line. not real powerful, not real clear.

if you want clarity go infinity
if you want power go fosgate (soundstream if you can afford it)

mostly, internet window shop and we'll tell you if its good or not. just find links to the stuff and post up here.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
bigd6983

stay away from pioneer subs, junk..........like cherrington said they are known for their head units, not too much for their speakers........infinity is known for clarity, the fosgate stuff, with the bigger surround ive heard are really nice.....i had their lower model subs, absolute junk.....and since then ive used nothing but jl audio, love the bass note......my friend has 2 12w6's in his civic, running i think 1800 watts rms, im seriously counting the days for some body part to rattle loose......but id recommend jl audio for sure, best bang for your buck

and also give us complete specs on the amp you have, so we can tell you if its matched to the sub you want to get......
Old 02-02-2006, 03:03 AM   #12
exnine@gmail.com
GX Member

Alright. Well Here are the two amps that I have. Thanks for everything.

The 500 Watt

And this is the

1000 watt

I haven't decided on any subs yet. I'm really leaning towards JL's right now.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
alerosmoke

hey i had one 12" JL -w-1 in a q-logic box and the sub busted with a 600 Watt fosgate brgd. So i put a Kennwood 800 Watt 10" sub, i had to make a ring to put it in the 12"mold but it hits double hard, i had to unbridge it.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
whitey2003

haha, u got the sickness. i started out with 2 rockford 12s, then 3, then 4, then 6. then various setups from there.

i really like the sound of a couple really nice 10s in a well built ported box. audiobahn is rather inexpensive and fairly heavy duty, the **08T series and above at least. i had 4 1008t's in my alero at one time. was loud. JL is definetly nice but quite overpriced in my opinion.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #15
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
I got a 12" kicker cvr
Old 02-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #16
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Quote:
Originally posted by whitey2003@Feb 2 2006, 11:04 PM
haha, u got the sickness. i started out with 2 rockford 12s, then 3, then 4, then 6. then various setups from there.

i really like the sound of a couple really nice 10s in a well built ported box. audiobahn is rather inexpensive and fairly heavy duty, the **08T series and above at least. i had 4 1008t's in my alero at one time. was loud. JL is definetly nice but quite overpriced in my opinion.

You honestly can't compare audibahn to JL. I have never heard a audiobahn that produced good, clean bass. Almost every other company makes low end subs (not designed for spl) that sound decent when crossed over properly. The only thing audiobah attempts to make is loud. Cross the sub over for a limited 30 htz bandwidth because it will not produce any more accurately. I would highly suggest a JL sub. The W6 is my favorite. Very accurate and loud. Unfortunately, you would not be able to pair it to your amp. You might concider two of the W3's since they come in varieties of impedance. Otherwise, concider a Infinity. They are pretty decent for the price range.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #17
cherrington17
Gone

those JL's seem to be nearly the same as the Fosgate He2's i have.

10"
400W RMS
800-1000W Peak (depends on what site you look at)
85-88 SPL

seems about the same performance wise.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #18
whitey2003

i wasnt comparing audiobahn to JL. i was just stating my favorite, then a quick opinion on JL's prices. As far as audiobahn not being accurate thats mostly true, they do have a couple of decent SQ series, the ALUM** series being one of them.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #19
dt_freak1

Hey dude. if you REALLY want some hard hitting bass in your car my suggestion is MTX. i heard a set of 10" MTX 9500s in a ported enclosure hooked up to like a 1710 model MTX amp. OMFG they were hooked up in the soundroom at American TV&Furniture and the damn Drop Ceiling started rattling so damn much we thought it was goin to cave in lmao. and damned accurate too. as far as Audiobahn goes, its only good for SPL and well hell even for SPL its not perfect. id buy the 9500s myself but im stickin with Alpine for my system from now on....just to keep it consistent all over.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:11 AM   #20
exnine@gmail.com
GX Member

NEW PROBLEM!

-----------------------------

Alright. When my bass hits. The lights on my head unit and my head lights dim. My dome light flickers, but I'm not sure if that is directly related, it seems to do that all of the time.

I have a 500 watt amp and a 1000 watt set of subs. When I had it installed. The guy said. It wasnt enough power to drain anything, or cause any trouble. (circuit city)

Well It is.

Maybe my battery is just dying. I really don't know alot about this stuff.

But Im planning on replacing the setup with two bigger better subs. And adding another 1000 watt amp.

I'm obviously missing something here. Please help me out.

Thanks.