Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-01-2023, 11:07 AM   #1
Netuddki
GX Member

Netuddki is on a distinguished road
Where is the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF)?

I search the whole net, including this forum, but there is not a single image or video about the location of the Mass Air Flow Sensor on an Alero 2001 2.4l

Can somebody post an image or a video that shows the LOCATION of the MAF sensor?

I do not want to know how it looks. I do not want to know how to clean it. I want to know where it is.

And please do not describe it. I have read hundreds of texts describing the location.

I do not have it at any of those locations.

I have a couple of connectors at one place near the air tube, but there is nothing that looks like the sensor I find on the images showing the MAF sensor of an Alero. Also those connectors are attached to a big piece of engine part which is hardly accessible and surely not easy to change.

Please post an image with an arrow.

That's all I am asking for.

Thank you!
Netuddki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:41 AM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
There is no MAF on a 2.4L Twin Cam LD9 engine. It's MAP based.

That's why you can't find it...

The "big piece of engine part" is the throttle body, and it's very easy to work on. The throttle position sensor (TPS) and idle air control valve (IACV) are installed on it.

The MAP sensor is attached to the intake manifold via a short hose. A common problem is the vacuum hose deteriorating and causing vacuum leaks, which will throw off the MAP readings and cause the car to behave wildly.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:08 PM   #3
Netuddki
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
There is no MAF on a 2.4L Twin Cam LD9 engine. It's MAP based.

That's why you can't find it...

The "big piece of engine part" is the throttle body, and it's very easy to work on. The throttle position sensor (TPS) and idle air control valve (IACV) are installed on it.

The MAP sensor is attached to the intake manifold via a short hose. A common problem is the vacuum hose deteriorating and causing vacuum leaks, which will throw off the MAP readings and cause the car to behave wildly.

Damn!

Thank you!

Why the hell do I then find images and even items on car part shops for a MAF Sensor for an Alero 2001 2.4l?

I think I know which one the MAP sensor is then, but I didn't see any damage on the hose. Is it possible that the sensor itself is faulty?
Old 06-01-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Could be, or you could have vacuum leaks elsewhere (other hoses, or even the throttle body gasket or intake manifold gasket).

But I don't even know anything about what your car is doing, I just know vacuum leaks are common and I have a lot of history sealing them up. There are many sensors on the car that can be monitored to determine what's going on. Just take it to a shop. They're not out to get you like everyone thinks.

But if you think it's an airflow thing, the most surefire way to test for vacuum leaks is by using a "boost leak tester" - you can make one from a PVC cap, a pressure gauge, and an air hose fitting, or buy one. You just clamp it onto your throttle body and let a little bit of pressurized air (less than 5 psi) flow. Then spray soapy water on hoses and where all the gaskets are (intake manifold to head, throttle body to intake manifold) and you'll see bubbles going crazy wherever there's a leak.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:09 PM   #5
Netuddki
GX Member

I know that it is an air flow thing, because I had this issue already once, and as you said, the problem was that hose to the MAP sensor, that's why I controlled everything with air flow as good as I could, but I am not a mechanic and I am not sure I can do that process that you described.

I will take it to the shop then.

The symptoms are the engine light and the Track Off light comes up randomly and if they do, the car jumps with a loud PENG on a gear shift or when I switch from parking to drive. Also after the red light when you try to speed up, the engine almost stalls.

I already asked about this years ago on this forum, so I am sure, it'S the air flow that is faulty.

Thank you for your help!
Old 12-22-2023, 07:15 AM   #6
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
What did the shop have to say?
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote