Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Rattling sound over 59-60 mph

Ok here I go again. Yesterday I was on the Highway, and when reaching about 60 mph, a loud (really loud) fast rattling noise appeared like right in front of me in the engine bay. It's A sound like a vibration a bit like when you roll on those stripes they made on the border of the highway that when you leave the road and your tire enter the stripe it makes a loud noise to prevent you from goin asleep (I dont know if you get what I mean). It also sound like when we were young and placed cards in our bycicle's wheels to sound like a motorcycle.

Whenever I get back under 55 mph, the noise stop. I did it a couple of times, and everytime I get over 59, it appears, and disapears under 55. Under that speed, the car doesn't do a single noise and drives normally. What could it be?
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
Check ur plastic liner under the bump.
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
PFC2
GX Member

PFC2 is an unknown quantity at this point
check to see if anything is loose first and go from there it could be numerous of things
PFC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Vinalero
GLS member

I already check, no plastic is loose beside or behind the wheel, and even if one was, it would do some sound below 55 mph. I haven't taken the wheel off, but i looked around by turning my wheel on both side and nothin seems broken or loose. Again if something was loose, it would emit sound below 55. And if something was broken, I assume it wouldn't drive normally either.

Is there a speed sensor somewhere on Aleros that regulate something in the drivetrain/brakes/suspension or transmission that could malfunction? I wish I knew a mecanic with a garage

The best would be if someone already had this issue with his car and got it fixed.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:

Last edited by Vinalero : 12-30-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Vinalero
GLS member

I just red in my haynes that there are speed sensors in the bearings that tells the EBCM the speed of the wheel. Is it possible that the speed sensor is bad and that over 60 mph, he gives a wrong imput to the EBCM that then ask the hydrolic clutch to activate even though I don't have my foot on the brake?

Quote:
Old 12-31-2006, 12:07 AM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
That is a possilblly. The ABS hubs in these cars suck. They are so fragile.

If something was loose you'd feel it long before 60. I could hear a grinding nosie at 27 MPH and up when one of my hubs went. It wasn't like your though. Fixed under warranty

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Twiz
GX Member

Twiz is on a distinguished road
I'd check the drive axles to see if their boots are torn, if not then your wheels may be out of balance. Usually if the wheel bearings are at fault they start to make noise when you drive 30 mph or more. I'd say you need your wheels balanced, specially if your steering wheel vibrates around 60 - 70 mph.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
Vinalero
GLS member

I'm goin in a garage tomorrow, i'll ask them to check on the drive axle. That's the flex thing with a rubber boot over it that is linked to the trans? I thought about it.

Also, I have a new Tie rod end on the side the noise appeared, but not the day it was replace. Still, my car was goin a bit on the left side before I changed the Tie Rod. When they changed it, they aligned the car afterwards (the car was still on the align jack when I got back at the shop). But still the car continue to get a bit on the left if i let the steering free. I though alignment would have fixed that. Maybe the noise is related to that.

I would be so happy if it was only a balance problem.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2007, 01:07 AM   #9
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
Probably a dumb comment but, might want to enlist a buddy to listen and try to pinpoint if it's comming from one side or the other, let him/er ride shotgun and drive so you and them can hear the diference leaning out the window. Anything at a decent speed (not rolling down a driveway) can be little easier to pin point from more positions than the drivers seat.
Ghadsphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
Vinalero
GLS member

Since the sound is coming only over 60 or so mph, I can't really hear it rolling down a driveway hehehe, but still tonight when I got back home, I opened the window and got to 60, Noise appears, but with window open it sounds different. It really sounds like scraching rubber. That's why I welcome Twiz Idea of the drive axle or unbalanced tire. And I can definitively say it comes from my front left wheel. I can say its right in front of my left foot.

Maybe tomorrow I'll know. Let's just hope it won't cost my balls out.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
olds2race
GX Member

olds2race is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to olds2race
does the steering wheel shake?
olds2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #12
Vinalero
GLS member

Nothin really noticeable.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
Vinalero
GLS member

<------- Got Owned real hard.

Just back from garage, got my rear brakes changed and emergency brake tighted. The mecanic and me checked everything that could possibly make that freakin noise. I got my 4 wheels rebalanced, even though they were terribly unbalanced, it wasn't it. Did a little road test to find that it was doin it again. Took it back on the lift, checked back, then got the car down and I flashed on the deflector on my hood...

Previously the day I first noticed the sound, I went to an automated carwash and under the blower to dry the car, wind caught the deflector that almost came at a square angle with the car. I didn't really put a lot of attention to it because it was still there and didn't break. But the 2 outside pins of the deflector that hold him on the hood are not there anymore and it's really possible that at a higher speed, the wind makes him clap rapidly with the hood.

I'm not sure it's really that, but it seems it could be a really plausible solution.

Quote: